How is Jon Jones gonna win the rematch against Gustaffson?

Question is how is Gus going to beat Jones in the rematch.

Jones fought with his B game and Gus with his A and still lost.

Not much improvement Gus can make.

Probably eye pokes/gouges, dirty kicks that could end opponents career and corrupt judging.

Train effective counters for the 2 or 3 moves Jones has and constantly spams. Them just completely outclass him in boxing again.

Are you saying you disagree with Gus oustriking and outwrestling Jon for the first 19 minutes? :redface:

Rounds two and three were close. There wasn't much "outstriking" going on either way.

It's funny seeing all these Bones haters exposing themselves as fools.

I love hearing everyone talk about how Gus obviously won this fight. Jones was never once in danger of being put away. Gus, on the other hand, was basically out on his feet in the 4th, and probably saved by the bell.

Gus now knows he can nullify Bones' wrestling. That was the HUGE question mark before this fight. There was talk about Bones training too much boxing, but can you imagine how much defensive wrestling Gus did!?

With that down, he can now go on the offensive. Train more aggressive combinations, train catching some of tha kicks Bones was spamming and take HIM down.

Gus has more upside than Bones at this point. If Bones can't take Gus down next fight, there's really not much he can do better next time.

If Gus figures out how to take Bones down from all his kicking - game over, man.

I expect, after Glover, Jones will issue a statement about a Gusto rematch being "high risk, low reward" and then he'll go on to fight Bisping.

He wont. Alex will win a more decisive decision next time round, Jones is just keeping the belt warm till then :D

What's his A game? Don't give me the bogus foot excuse.

Why wouldn't Gus be able to improve?

can you imagine how much defensive wrestling Gus did!?

With that down, he can now go on the offensive...

Yeah because if he's more aggressive, that wont affect his TD defence at all will it?

I've got 1st round TKO.

Biggest fluke I've ever seen in MMA.

Shutting down the best wrestler ever at LHW 11 out of 12 times, and the 12th time getting up in 10 secs is a fluke? Hitting him with a total of 110 significant strikes is a fluke?

You got your belt in a cereal box right? ... ... ... I mean, you must have.

Gus now knows he can nullify Bones' wrestling. That was the HUGE question mark before this fight. There was talk about Bones training too much boxing, but can you imagine how much defensive wrestling Gus did!?

With that down, he can now go on the offensive. Train more aggressive combinations, train catching some of tha kicks Bones was spamming and take HIM down.

Gus has more upside than Bones at this point. If Bones can't take Gus down next fight, there's really not much he can do better next time.

If Gus figures out how to take Bones down from all his kicking - game over, man.

Going more offensive than the first fight would hurt Gus' TDD. He was backing off to prevent getting caught in a bad position for a takedown.

On topic: win 3 rounds would work TS.

What's his A game?

I think Bones' preferred option would be to take Gus down and hellbow him. That would be plan A surely. Gus did a great job preventing that so Bones had to go with the less desirable 5 round kickboxing match which was presumably Gus's plan A.

Things basically didn't go to plan for Bones and he still won.

He'd have to develop harder strikes/kicks. I just can't see him taking Gus down effectively.

Going more offensive than the first fight would hurt Gus' TDD. He was backing off to prevent getting caught in a bad position for a takedown.

On topic: win 3 rounds would work TS.

Of course he has to strike a balance. But his excellent TDD gives him at least the option to dial up the aggression, no?

Plus, one thing is sure - Bones' hands are vastly inferior, even though he apparently focused hard on his boxing. That leaves kicks and spinning shit.

Which should make him MORE susceptible to takedowns himself than Gus is. Gus only needs a TD per round to be virtually assured the UD next time.

What can Bones really improve?

Of course he has to strike a balance. But his excellent TDD gives him at least the option to dial up the aggression, no?

Plus, one thing is sure - Bones' hands are vastly inferior, even though he apparently focused hard on his boxing. That leaves kicks and spinning shit.

Which should make him MORE susceptible to takedowns himself than Gus is. Gus only needs a TD per round to be virtually assured the UD next time.

What can Bones really improve?

You are dismissive of spinning shit when it landed the biggest shot of the fight?

Gus tried to get more takedowns but after the first one JJ clearly adjusted. I don't see Gus securing a takedown a round very easily.

Both guys will have to come in improved. JJ needs to get a takedown earlier than the 4th next time to change the flow of the fight.

I don't think the rematch will look like round 6, I think both will be trying to adjust.

Back