How is Cormier so good?

He'll be even smallER if he leans up while staying at LHW and can't put on enough muscle to replace it. Sherdog poster arrogance in thinking the same things work best for everyone.

How do you know that he can't lose some fat and replace it with muscle?? Your arrogance is astounding. Look up studies on anthropometry to see if the same thing work best for everyone. There will be exceptions but think about optimal size for gymnasts, rowers, long distance runners, cyclists, triathletes, sprinters, boxers & wrestlers for a particular weight class, etc, etc. To see a fat guy excel at MMA to me shows the sports immaturity and depth of athletes that are competing in the sport.

This is golf or lawn darts but it's also a sport with a long ways to go.

It's too bad Cole Konrad never fought in the UFC. The beach-muscle-obsessed crew here on Sherdog would have been pulling their hair out every time he won.

20100621123616_IMG_7721.JPG

You ever watch NFL LOL
Come on dude, not all athletes are ripped
Have you ever played a sport in your life?

Yes, I've watched plenty of NFL games. There are prototypes for each position. Offensive linemen obviously have a different optimal size than defensive backs. The logic, it eludes you.

Yes, I've played plenty of sports. I excelled in the ones that I was genetically predisposed to (endurance) and knew when to hang it up for some of the sports that I loved like basketball - not tall or quick enough. If I was a big fat guy at my height (6'0") I would have taken up fishing or chess.

One of the biggest track and field meets of the year happens this weekend - the Prefontaine Classic. Go tell one of the guys running the 1500, 3000, 5000, or 10000M to throw on 10 - 15 extra lbs of useless adipose and lets see how their performance is impacted.

It's too bad Cole Konrad never fought in the UFC. The beach-muscle-obsessed crew here on Sherdog would have been pulling their hair out every time he won.

20100621123616_IMG_7721.JPG

Heavyweights - who cares if they are carrying around a fat gut. They would be quicker and have a bigger gas tank if they lost it but it doesn't matter as much when the weight class goes from 205 - 265.

Who said anything about beach muscles, how about functional muscle vs. useless fat.

Very strong and a tremendous athlete. Works real hard and probably adapts and learns new things very quickly, high motivation.

That's my guess.

The proof is obvious -- fat is dead weight with no added benefit. Would you rather have 5 lbs of fat or 5lbs of lean muscle?And you miss the point entirely. an athlete, on a proper diet, and proper training regime will have a very hard time maintaining love handles

As far as being "genetically prone" to being fat, I think it's hogwash. an overweight(or obese), mother and father are obviously not feeding their kids broccoli and baked chicken breast for dinner.

Body fat is not just added weight. Fat is your bodies fuel storage, if your body fat is really low your body startes to metabolize muscle for energy needs. That is part of the reason fighters allow themsleves to gain some weight between fights and lose it during training, it helps keep muscle mass intact. It is also why long distance runners never have a lot of muscle mass.

So fighters like Cormier, Fedor, Anderson Silva and other who keep a bit more body fat don't have problems from doing so. It probable even helps them.

I'm a huge fan but I'm still surprised about how Cormier can be so good while being so fat. I understand why people cut weight: less fat and less water mean more muscle mass at a given weight. So if you carry around more fat you have less muscle mass. Basically all athletes in weight differentiated sports seem to cut: boxing, wrestling, judo, bjj etc Cormier was already fat when he was competing in wrestling, where people cut like crazy in order to have an advantage... so how can he be so damn good with that chubby build of his?

Umm lol wat?

A person can have a high bodyfat percentage while having a lot of muscle mass as well. A person can also have the same muscle mass and a lower bodyfat percentage, which makes the muscles more visible, but doesn't mean they have "more" muscles than they did before.

Don't forget that fat is stored energy, so Cormier has a lot of that plus good cardio, good technique, muscle mass, etc.

PS- I'm guessing you've never heard of powerlifting or what a powerlifter is. Dudes can be fat as shit, but are some of the strongest people in the world.

Cause he inherited the glorious sweater of absolute victory and now he is on a mission to avenge the losses of the man who gave it to him and destroy any opposition who tries to bring him down.

danielcormier.jpg

It doesn't matter how fat they are, their talent is what matters.

ELITE ATHLETE. He COMPLETELY controls his opponent with ridiculous wrestling. I don't think he will lose a fight for a very long time. Not a fan though. Boring.

Cain Velasquez has a soft, undefined mid-section, and the most insane cardio of just about anyone out there.

Looks mean nothing, or Kevin Randlemann would be the all-time greatest MMA fighter.

How do you know that he can't lose some fat and replace it with muscle?? Your arrogance is astounding.

Hahaha wut, I never said for sure he can't replace it with muscle, just that if he can't, it might be detrimental lol. And lmao at you trying to turn the 'arrogance' comment around, you are clearly the know-it-all here who knows better than the actual athletes hence ARROGANT. And a muscle fetishist.

Looks mean nothing, or Kevin Randlemann would be the all-time greatest MMA fighter.

Well Randleman is only average height, you need to be taller than that to have 'perfect' looks :icon_chee

The proof is obvious -- fat is dead weight with no added benefit. Would you rather have 5 lbs of fat or 5lbs of lean muscle?And you miss the point entirely. an athlete, on a proper diet, and proper training regime will have a very hard time maintaining love handles

As far as being "genetically prone" to being fat, I think it's hogwash. an overweight(or obese), mother and father are obviously not feeding their kids broccoli and baked chicken breast for dinner.

typical bullshit from someone who cant gain 10 lbs if their life depended on it :icon_chee

Ha, I know what you mean. Hes short, fat, light (for a hw when he competed there), old, inexperienced and yet for some reason beats the shit out of everyone.

Inexperienced? Hasn't he wrestled since he was a kid? He uses his wrestling to beat up people.

I'm a huge fan but I'm still surprised about how Cormier can be so good while being so fat. I understand why people cut weight: less fat and less water mean more muscle mass at a given weight. So if you carry around more fat you have less muscle mass. Basically all athletes in weight differentiated sports seem to cut: boxing, wrestling, judo, bjj etc Cormier was already fat when he was competing in wrestling, where people cut like crazy in order to have an advantage... so how can he be so damn good with that chubby build of his?

u ever watch the NFL?

Yes, I've watched plenty of NFL games. There are prototypes for each position. Offensive linemen obviously have a different optimal size than defensive backs. The logic, it eludes you.

Yes, I've played plenty of sports. I excelled in the ones that I was genetically predisposed to (endurance) and knew when to hang it up for some of the sports that I loved like basketball - not tall or quick enough. If I was a big fat guy at my height (6'0") I would have taken up fishing or chess.

One of the biggest track and field meets of the year happens this weekend - the Prefontaine Classic. Go tell one of the guys running the 1500, 3000, 5000, or 10000M to throw on 10 - 15 extra lbs of useless adipose and lets see how their performance is impacted.

Sure thing buddy

You would know that there are many " fat " athletic people

Guys that don't fit the prototype you speak of.

There have been many DC's in all sports. Your acting like this is something new so I questioning your knowledge of sports and athletics.

Were not talking about track dude. Were talking about fighting.

He has great work ethic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsterbomb
Back