How is Cormier so good?

Sure thing buddy

Ha. I competed at the collegiate level at a D1 school. Didn't win any conference or national championships, didn't go to the olympics. Have trained at a variety of performance centers with olympic athletes and pro football and basketball players. My little brother played pro soccer and I worked with a majority of his teams over the years on their conditioning programs. I think I have some idea of what it takes to be an athlete, but maybe not.

You would know that there are many " fat " athletic people

Define "athletic"

Guys that don't fit the prototype you speak of.

They do... I don't think you have been around a lot of athletes in your life. I think perhaps you like to pick that one guy or happen to know one freak that happens to be fat and decently successful at his chosen sport. I'm not talking about high school football by the way - I'm looking at it from a perspective of professional sports athletes & olympic level caliber athlete.

Were not talking about track dude. Were talking about fighting.

This is actually a great point. DC being fat just might not matter (yet). So far he has used his enourmous wrestling talent, been quick enough, agile enough and strong enough to overcome his extra useless bodyweight. But it's just physiology and physics that say that if he dropped the excess, non-performance enhancing fat gut - that he would be even quicker and have an ever deeper gas tank. If he replaced that weight with muscle and could still make his weight class, he would be even stronger. You should know that at his current condition that DC isn't as good as he could be. He has been good enough to get by quicksand slow guy and barista guy and even fatter guy. He could be even better by cleaning up his diet. He has the skill set to be one of the GOAT's in this immature sport. Popeye's isn't going to get him there.

Last edited:
BJ is a bad example. When he started training seriously (around the time he beat Diego Sanchez) he started getting a lot leaner and more defined. This was also when he started to reach his potential but couldn't keep up his motivation at this point in his career

Cormier also isn't fat by any means. He is chubbier than most LHWs but he will probably lose some of that over the next year as he adjusts to being in LHW.

04-Daniel-Cormier-vs-Patrick-Cummins-UFC-170_0637.jpg

daniel-cormier-dan-henderson.jpg

To answer OP's question, Cormier is incredibly strong and fast and has world class technique. He's probably the strongest guy at LHW and has the best wrestling at LHW.

Those are pics of cormier dehydrated 20 pounds. Fight night physique would also be interesting to see.

you are clearly the know-it-all here who knows better than the actual athletes hence ARROGANT. And a muscle fetishist.

Interesting argument. You think you know better than me so I'm arrogant. You assume that random athlete has all the knowledge they need to be successful - I wonder why they hire coaches and nutritionists? You call me a muscle fetishist, when I've been pretty clear that I don't care how aesthetic a fighter is but certainly think that functional muscle > fat. Are you trying to tell me that when it comes to athletic performance that fat > functional muscle? If you honestly believe that, I guess we're done with the conversation because fixing stupid isn't in my skill set.

Stop with this delusional nonsense and trolling. You should know that at his current condition that DC isn't as good as he could be.

Still insisting that everyone agree with your opinion on something you can't prove (that Cormier SPECIFICALLY would do better if he dropped fat) and insulting them if they don't? Pure narrow-minded conceit and arrogance. Also great job ignoring every point against your argument and simply repeating the 'ohhh LEAN muscle' mantra over and over.

Still insisting that everyone agree with your opinion on something you can't prove (that Cormier SPECIFICALLY would do better if he dropped fat) and insulting them if they don't? Pure narrow-minded conceit and arrogance.

This is like talking to a small child... Tell me how the fat is helping his athletic performance? Is this magic fat making him faster, giving him more endurance, making him stronger?

Interesting argument. You think you know better than me so I'm arrogant. You assume that random athlete has all the knowledge they need to be successful - I wonder why they hire coaches and nutritionists? You call me a muscle fetishist, when I've been pretty clear that I don't care how aesthetic a fighter is but certainly think that functional muscle > fat. Are you trying to tell me that when it comes to athletic performance that fat > functional muscle? If you honestly believe that, I guess we're done with the conversation because fixing stupid isn't in my skill set.

You aren't even processing what is written in response to you because you're too stuck up in your stupidity to.

This is like talking to a small child... Tell me how the fat is helping his athletic performance? Is this magic fat making him faster, giving him more endurance, making him stronger?

Good, get riled up... I love seeing fools get frustrated lol

More muscle, more oxygen needed. Which means cardio suffers.

Depends on the person, Cormier is strong, fast and has good cardio, why would he need to change his physique even more after what he went through to get to LHW?

Depends on the person, Cormier is strong, fast and has good cardio, why would he need to change his physique even more after what he went through to get to LHW?

The muscle fetishist won't respond, he has ignored several points against his stance in favor of a strawman argument.

Bit of topic, but the guy who beat Cormier at the Olympics, and got gold, any reason why he has not came into MMA? Do you actually make a living being an amateur wrestler?

Gatsalov is still wrasslin'.

Same reason Jon Jones, Chris Weidman, and T.J. Dillashaw got so good so fast: they were born with it. Same reason why "new breed" talk is total bullshit. If a guy has an athletic background, preferably in a combat sport, and he has boatloads of natural talent, then he can train for a few years and destroy guys who trained MMA all their lives but have less talent. It's always been that way in MMA. Paul Buentello could train MMA every day of his life, then lose to a Fedor who only trained MMA for 18 months.

People need to realize that not everyone's muscle fibers/ nerve fibers/ tendons/ ligaments are created equal. It doesn't matter how much fat you put on cormier the man is still genetically gifted when it comes to the above mentioned. You add in years and years of a world-class training regimen and you get Daniel Cormier.

People need to understand that being built like Hercules IS NOT synonymous with being a good fighter.

His chubbiness is the strongman kind of chubbiness not your average chubbiness. He's built like an Indian wrestler like a shitbrick.

he must have heavy and dense bones, combined with an excelent fighting base(wrestling), mixed up with a fair amount of talent and a crappy division to compete against, except for JBJ and maybe Gus, wich btw will put his striking to the test, if Daniel beats these 2 guys then he will be 1 step closer to that black Fedor mith some people believe

Brilliant. I blame Joe Rogan for this... The leanest people in the world have the best endurance in the world so why in MMA is all of a sudden muscle is the great detriment to fitness? So what really is the difference in energy expenditure between muscle and fat?

Muscle Metabolism
Every pound of muscle you have, your body will burn about 6 calories per day. This is referred to as the daily metabolic rate.

Fat Metabolism
Fat metabolism, or lipolysis, has a daily metabolic rate of about two calories, Therefore muscle has a daily metabolic rate of about three times that of fat.

So carrying around extra fat isn't free from an energy expenditure perspective and the difference for 5-8 lbs of muscle (which is what we are talking about for DC) isn't that great over 25 mins of activity.

Good, get riled up... I love seeing fools get frustrated lol

Troll on my brother, you've added zero knowledge and worthless unsubstantiated opinions so far to the thread so don't go changing now and saying anything intelligent. Just keep name calling and yelling "strawman" in between your pedo fap sessions to your childhood illustrated little red riding book.

You aren't even processing what is written in response to you because you're too stuck up in your stupidity to.

Break it down for me then - how is a pound of fat > a pound of muscle when it comes to athletic performance.

You can't answer even the simplest question and you obviously have no desire to engage in any sort of discussion.

People need to understand that being built like Hercules IS NOT synonymous with being a good fighter.

BigMuffler would have us believe that a Butterbean physique is optimal for fighting.

Break it down for me then - how is a pound of fat > a pound of muscle when it comes to athletic performance.

Nobody made that argument, you've ignored several points as to why Cormier dropping fat might not help him because you don't have any answer.

Back