How is Cormier so good?

I'm a huge fan but I'm still surprised about how Cormier can be so good while being so fat. I understand why people cut weight: less fat and less water mean more muscle mass at a given weight. So if you carry around more fat you have less muscle mass. Basically all athletes in weight differentiated sports seem to cut: boxing, wrestling, judo, bjj etc Cormier was already fat when he was competing in wrestling, where people cut like crazy in order to have an advantage... so how can he be so damn good with that chubby build of his?

Let me guess you must be a huge WWE fan......

Some people just carry more fat than others. Honestly the notion that an athlete has to be ripped is quite stupid. Generally most people will perform better with minimal body fat but there are many athletes that simply carry fat and still perform at elite levels.

Cain is BY FAR the most capable fighter at HW in terms of constant output and he has "high body fat" by most standards. He can literally run circles around a guy like Overeem who would have the ideal fat/muscle ratio.

I've trained with several guys that look like shit aesthetically that could fight all day long and never get tired. You make them try and cut down and they just get lethargic and weak. Don't mess with what works and DC is a fucking animal at HW and LHW.

Just imagine how good Cael Sanderson is. He beat Cormier three different times. Wish Sanderson would have gotten into MMA, but he's doing fine where he's at.

I didn't know that. That dude's career is just about as unreal as you can get.

As for being fat I'm speaking as a 5'10 148 lb man...

5'10" & 148? Cancer? Tranny? Frail?

For those athletes who are genetically prone to looking a little chubbier, wouldn't the extra training time needed to maintain a chiseled Adonis physique be better spent training relevant skills? LMAO @ TST fetishists.

I'm sure DC spends enough time training. I am not questioning his training or his talent. I'm questioning his diet. In my armchair nutritionist opinion, he needs to spend less time eating.

5'10" & 148? Cancer? Tranny? Frail?

Asian

And like I said, you have no idea whether he'll perform any better with less BF. What if it's very difficult genetically for him to pack on any more muscle than he already has, he'll be an even smaller LHW then.

Well, Sanderson is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, often referred to as the goat. He went like 179-0 in college or something unbelievable like that.

But yeah, it sucks that some of the greatest never come to the sport, but getting punched in the face isn't for everyone.

MMA did get the guy who beat Cael 3x, Yoel Romero.

Skill over size, mind over matter, chicken seems to work for Roy and now DC. :icon_chee

Kongo vs Nelson perfect example... Kongo was ripped and probably has 0% body fat, against Roy who has like 100% body fat lol.. and the fight barely lasted more than a minute. Fat always beats muscles as long as the guy is skilled and knows what hes doing.

Completely ridiculous comment. BJ Penn vs GSP, or did BJ not know what he was doing?

One of the common, universal epiphanic moments that all MMA newbies experience en route to becoming hardcore, seasoned fight fans is the following shocking revelation: the most muscular fighter does not always win (in fact, all else being equal, he usually loses.)

Yeah because armchair nutritionists know better than actual pro athletes competing at the very highest level of a sport and dominating like Cormier, or Cain, or Fedor, or Hendricks, or even Ronda (looks softer than several others in her division). As for being fat I'm speaking as a 5'10 148 lb man... thick solid tight worshippers are a plaque on sports fandom. You guys have no proof whatsoever that these fighters would perform better, or even as well, if they dropped the 'extra' fat.

For those athletes who are genetically prone to looking a little chubbier, wouldn't the extra training time needed to maintain a chiseled Adonis physique be better spent training relevant skills? LMAO @ TST fetishists.

The proof is obvious -- fat is dead weight with no added benefit. Would you rather have 5 lbs of fat or 5lbs of lean muscle?And you miss the point entirely. an athlete, on a proper diet, and proper training regime will have a very hard time maintaining love handles

As far as being "genetically prone" to being fat, I think it's hogwash. an overweight(or obese), mother and father are obviously not feeding their kids broccoli and baked chicken breast for dinner.

Bit of topic, but the guy who beat Cormier at the Olympics, and got gold, any reason why he has not came into MMA? Do you actually make a living being an amateur wrestler?

Maybe he doesnt want to get punched in the face and by mentally challenged by the time hes 50.

Also, most of these UFC fighters dont make a decent living AND sacrifice the shit out of their bodies.

He's probably working in a nice cubicle somewhere making more than most ufc fighters

One of the common, universal epiphanic moments that-

Hey, hey, hey, Ohioan, I'm real happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but the Latin in your sig is wrong. Don't play that shiz with me and Augustus Caesar rolling around these parts.

One of the common, universal epiphanic moments that all MMA newbies experience en route to becoming hardcore, seasoned fight fans is the following shocking revelation: the most muscular fighter does not always win (in fact, all else being equal, he usually loses.)

Pretty much. Who gives a shit whether he has a six pack? He's a high end Olympic wrestler who learned how to strike; that's all people should focus on.

Asian

And like I said, you have no idea whether he'll perform any better with less BF. What if it's very difficult genetically for him to pack on any more muscle than he already has, he'll be an even smaller LHW then.

He will always be "small" for whatever weight class he chooses to fight in due to his inability to cut huge amounts of water weight - his kidney damage just won't safely allow it. Because of the size disadvantage he needs to maximize his speed and his power to weight ratio. He is very strong and fairly quick but any extra adipose tissue isn't going to help him. The only argument that I would consider listening to is extra bodyfat may cushion internal organs against impact damage. His past history - ballooning up and missing weight at the Olympics , his well documented Popeye chicken binges, etc all point to a sub-optimal diet for a guy vying to be the best at his given sport that has weight classes. Of course he would be better by dropping some fat. In the heavyweight division I don't see it as important, but at LHW? Better lean up a little, son.

He will always be "small" for whatever weight class he chooses to fight in due to his inability to cut huge amounts of water weight - his kidney damage just won't safely allow it. Because of the size disadvantage he needs to maximize his speed and his power to weight ratio. He is very strong and fairly quick but any extra adipose tissue isn't going to help him. The only argument that I would consider listening to is extra bodyfat may cushion internal organs against impact damage. His past history - ballooning up and missing weight at the Olympics , his well documented Popeye chicken binges, etc all point to a sub-optimal diet for a guy vying to be the best at his given sport that has weight classes. Of course he would be better by dropping some fat. In the heavyweight division I don't see it as important, but at LHW? Better lean up a little, son.

He'll be even smallER if he leans up while staying at LHW and can't put on enough muscle to replace it. Also it has been theorized with the likes of Fedor and Roy that a little extra fat can help in grappling. How can you be so sure he would do better while being leaner? Have you seen a leaner Cormier fight? Aside from the physical considerations mentioned, how do you know a fighter doesn't just feel more comfortable or confident being a little heavier which could affect their performance? Sherdog poster arrogance in thinking the same things work best for everyone.

You ever watch NFL LOL

Come on dude, not all athletes are ripped

you may have never herd of this Russian dude named Fedor, he was " fat " too

Have you ever played a sport in your life?

Back