How is Cormier so good?

I wouldnt say he is "fat", theres a lot of people who has this body type, is like massive but at the same time they are pretty fast, which added with their size gave them a lot of strenght and not necessarily bad cardio

Just imagine how good Cael Sanderson is. He beat Cormier three different times. Wish Sanderson would have gotten into MMA, but he's doing fine where he's at.

Well, Sanderson is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, often referred to as the goat. He went like 179-0 in college or something unbelievable like that.

But yeah, it sucks that some of the greatest never come to the sport, but getting punched in the face isn't for everyone.

I'm a huge fan but I'm still surprised about how Cormier can be so good while being so fat. I understand why people cut weight: less fat and less water mean more muscle mass at a given weight. So if you carry around more fat you have less muscle mass. Basically all athletes in weight differentiated sports seem to cut: boxing, wrestling, judo, bjj etc Cormier was already fat when he was competing in wrestling, where people cut like crazy in order to have an advantage... so how can he be so damn good with that chubby build of his?

haha. fat people need love too.

Fedor pic is righteous. They call him Black Fedor.

IMO, if you are a professional athlete(that is not an NFL lineman), you shouldn't be over 12% bf otherwise there is something wrong with your diet or training.

In cormier's case it is obviously not his training.

Agh, I wish I had a clip from Wonder Showzen to post here right now.

Anybody remember when they sent a kid to the gym to ask people what weighed more, a pound of brains or a pound of muscles? Would have been a great response.

IMO, if you are a professional athlete(that is not an NFL lineman), you shouldn't be over 12% bf otherwise there is something wrong with your diet or training.

What if a guy physically feels better at higher BF huh

You're not them

Not only is he a quality athlete, he's very very hungry for success in MMA. The guy has been wrestling all his life and when his career ended, I don't think geting a day job and reporting to the man was a reality he wanted to accept. The guy wants to use his physical talents, earn money, and retire for life when those talents fail. He knows he's not getting any younger and while he may be earning decent cash now, its not nearly enough to stretch him for the rest of his life and provide for his family. The money he is looking for is found by having the belt and defending it.

I'm a huge fan but I'm still surprised about how Cormier can be so good while being so fat. I understand why people cut weight: less fat and less water mean more muscle mass at a given weight. So if you carry around more fat you have less muscle mass. Basically all athletes in weight differentiated sports seem to cut: boxing, wrestling, judo, bjj etc Cormier was already fat when he was competing in wrestling, where people cut like crazy in order to have an advantage... so how can he be so damn good with that chubby build of his?

See Emelianenko, Fedor...

Agh, I wish I had a clip from Wonder Showzen to post here right now.

Anybody remember when they sent a kid to the gym to ask people what weighed more, a pound of brains or a pound of muscles? Would have been a great response.

<3

Hes an Olympic caliber endomorph. The type of dude who would gain 40 pounds in a month if he started eating like shit everyday but instead he trains hard and has incredible skill and work ethic.

What if a guy physically feels better at higher BF huh

You're not them

Unless you are talking about sub 7%. If an athlete feels worse at 12%bf he/she should seek medical or mental help.

Well, from experience, you can't judge a book by its cover. Look at BJ penn. I would wrestle people who looked buff, but, they were so easy to throw on their backs? ...then, there would be a smaller person, and they felt like 40 pounds heavier then the guy that was 20 pounds heavier. Its almost like their bones were different? Or the way they are structured, so their center of weight was different.

Anyways, when You see fat people. There is going to be one guy, who is not only fat, but, explosive and agile. Seriously, its almost like just a custom on. I think this happens, because, some people are born fighters, and they are actually built perfect for fighting even though looks show another story. Dan Cormier though, to me, looks built compact with a strong core. I would never think he was fat....I would never compare him to roy country. He seems very solid, like a power lifter. Power lifters look fat...but far from it.

Last edited:
Physique really doesn't matter in MMA. Cormier has massive talent and technique, which makes up for the fact that he isn't totally ripped like Overeem. Not to say guys who are really in shape cannot be good, JDS for example is in amazing shape and has great teqnique to back it up.

Just think BJ Penn back in his hay day. Some pudge in the middle, but a monster nonetheless.

Cain-Velasquez-02.jpg

Olympic wrestling he controls the fight and where it goes is he as good as an mma fighter who knows but his wrestling is in point and that's pretty much working for him

Back