How ironic Cormier's favorite food is Popeye...

As a non-native english speaker I enjoy this intense language lesson. Thank you.

10/10 thread.

one of those so bad, its funny jokes. ('Pop eyes' not what some people think he meant by it)

Him being from Louisiana, he should know though that Raising Cain's is the best fast food fried chicken!

First of all, Raising Cain's does not sell fried chicken. They sell chicken tenders. Yes there is a difference. Second of all, Popeyes is better and cheaper than Raising Cain's. Their tenders are better, their sides are better, even their tea and lemonade is better. Even if you level the playing field by ordering chicken tenders instead of pieces of chicken at Popeyes, the food is just better.

Wordplay joke. Didn't even realize there was a racist joke in there?

I'm actually glad to hear that. Some people may hate on you for not seeing the racist joke in there, but to me that says that the racist stereotypes are less prevalent, which I consider a good thing.

Wordplay joke was 3/10, though. It's not called "Pokeye's"

Holy shit. You must be fun at parties. The whole premise for the joke is Popeye and popped eyes being interchangeable. That's the joke. Of course it's not meant to be taken literally.

"Popeye and popped eyes are not the same thing." Fucking lol.

I know it's a joke.
I'm saying it's not irony.

ETA: Too long, not worth it.
enjoy.

I know it's a joke.
I'm saying it's not irony.

Also, I'm not criticising your joke.
You are aware that 'irony' is not synonymous for 'joke,' right? Note, I'm not saying that irony cannot be comical.

As a joke "popeye, and popped eye! Get it!?" works.
As irony it does not.
For example, if a snobby football player went to his neighbourhood football club and, seeing the shitty condition of the in-house equipment, declared, "Sorry, but I prefer to kick my own balls," that would be a pun. A play on word, albeit, a unintentional one. That is the same a your joke, and it is not irony.

Irony is closer to sarcasm. Like, if the universe had a sarcastic sense of humour. It's not sarcasm, but you'd be better off assuming that it is than assuming that it's synonymous with pun.

The problem is you still don't understand the level of abstraction the joke was made with. The premise was Popeye and popped eyes being interchangeable. When Cormier's eating eyepokes all night and getting his eyes "popped", it'll be the opposite of "favorite" (hence ironic). You saying "Popeye and popped eyes are not the same" is hilariously facepalm-worthy.

First of all, Raising Cain's does not sell fried chicken. They sell chicken tenders. Yes there is a difference. Second of all, Popeyes is better and cheaper than Raising Cain's. Their tenders are better, their sides are better, even their tea and lemonade is better. Even if you level the playing field by ordering chicken tenders instead of pieces of chicken at Popeyes, the food is just better.

yes, they sell fried chicken tenders not chicken on the bone...but their CT are better than popeyes, IMO.
Popeyes are smaller and more bready. The quality of chicken RC uses is a lot better as well. Their Texas Toast? Come on, you can't say that isn't fantastic!
I think their lemonade is better than Popeyes as well.
RC's sauce is a lot better and unique than what popeyes has to offer. Mardi Gras mustard is solid though.
I like RC's French fries more as well.
Cole slaw goes to popeyes. Red beans and rice and Cajun rice are money there too.
Popeyes as a ton more on their menu, has some very good sides and is cheaper.
I'm not saying popeyes is terrible but I think RC is better and worth the extra couple of bucks...

The problem is you still don't understand the level of abstraction the joke was made with. The premise was Popeye and popped eyes being interchangeable. When Cormier's eating eyepokes all night and getting his eyes "popped", it'll be the opposite of "favorite" (hence ironic). You saying "Popeye and popped eyes are not the same" is hilariously facepalm-worthy.

It's funny that you think your joke was too abstract to understand.

It is funnier still that you now keep using the word interchangeable like you don't know what it means as well.

It's funny that you think your joke was too abstract to understand.

It is funnier still that you now keep using the word interchangeable like you don't know what it means as well.

I don't think it's too abstract to understand and I just explained why. A lot of other people here got it as well.

interchangeable
(of two things) capable of being put or used in the place of each other

I put "popped eyes" in the place of Popeye on the meaning level.

I don't think it's too abstract to understand and I just explained why.

MikeyLan said:
The problem is you still don't understand the level of abstraction the joke was made with

lol Ok.

Edit:
MikeyLan said:
interchangeable
(of two things) capable of being put or used in the place of each other

I put "popped eyes" in the place of Popeye on the meaning level.

lol Yep. I really hope English isn't your first language.

I think it's funny that people have turned this thread into a serious debate about KFC VS Popeye's, and some actually sound heated about it.

lol Ok.

Edit:

lol Yep. I really hope English isn't your first language.

It isn't. But I understand the definition perfectly. All you need to understand the joke is the ability to replace "Popeye" with "popped eyes" on the meaning level. If "Popeye" and "popped eyes" are interchangeable (my joke premise), you can do that.

As for the reason why it's ironic, I explained that before.

Last edited:
DC is going to be champ very soon

Oh thank god. I forgive you now.

P.S: No you don't.

Yes, I do. All you need to understand the joke is the ability to replace "Popeye" with "popped eyes" on the meaning level. If "Popeye" and "popped eyes" are interchangeable (my joke premise), you can do that.

Now move along.

Yes, I do. All you need to understand the joke is the ability to replace "Popeye" with "popped eyes" on the meaning level. If "Popeye" and "popped eyes" are interchangeable (my joke premise), you can do that.

Now move along.

Popeye's chicken and popped eyes are not interchangeable. Not conceptually, symbolically, or literally. Just because you changed them out for each other, to make a wordplay joke, doesn't mean that they are actual interchangeable entities. They mean/represent completely different things. Thus no irony.

I really do forgive you though. If I'd known in the first place English isn't your native tongue, I'd have been more cordial.

Haha you're reply there was more infantile than mine, keep playing though lil slugger.

Sure it was. By the way, nice grammar. How about learning how type your native language? Off to elementary school with you.

Popeye's chicken and popped eyes are not interchangeable. Not conceptually, symbolically, or literally. Just because you changed them out for each other, to make a wordplay joke, doesn't mean that they are actual interchangeable entities. They mean/represent completely different things. Thus no irony.

I really do forgive you though. If I'd known in the first place English isn't your native tongue, I'd have been more cordial.

I made the joke based on the premise that they are. That you didn't buy into the premise because you either did not possess the necessary level of abstraction, or did not want to apply it, is not my problem. Others did and it allowed them to enjoy the joke instead of being a pedantic Debbie Downer. You're still waddling around at the most concrete level of thought when you say "Popeye and popped eyes are different things/entities".

TS doesn't know what irony is. What a lame ass.

Back