How in God's name can a noobie beat a purple belt in BJJ? (Punk V Gall)

Well, he likely wont. I'm a sucker for freak show fights so I wouldn't mind seeing him win and get a little momentum. The reality is he will likely lose in the first and disappear.

Would be sweet if he pulled a James Toney and challenged Gall to meet him in a steel cage.

I train MMA recreationally..I cant begin to explain to tell you how much respect I have for REAL fighters. I train BJJ as well and the purple belts destroy my life easily. I'm considered to be in great shape in my class, I have great power, my coach says I am very impressive for a noob at BJJ. I have 4 years of boxing experience and let me tell you...the few purple belts easily nuke my life within seconds.

How in God's name will CM punk beat Gall? I just dont see it...am I missing something here? I am not a hater at all..I like CM Punk but this is not a sport you just adopt and conquer in. Brock was a legend at wrestling and thats the best sport to have a base in to do well in the UFC.

EDIT: Thread title meant to say how can a noob beat a purple belt in an MMA fight.
It's not a "who has a nicer colored belt" competition, that's why.

Did punk ever wrestle? Like non WWE style wrestling? A little wrestling background goes a long way on the mat. A strong understanding of the mechanics of movement on the ground translates pretty well and may even be achieved in some part from WWE wrestling. If you understand the mechanics it is just a matter of knowing where not to be.

My understanding is that Punk has been training MMA for a few years now. We have to remember that learning to not get subbed by a good BJJ guy is a lot easier than learning to sub a good BJJ guy. When you think of the great grapplers you roll with and what they do you also have to remember that you are engaging in a grappling match with them. In that situation you are looking for one of three outcomes, you sub them, they sub you or the clock runs out. If your focus is on striking and standing up or stalling out rather than engaging on the ground it becomes a lot easier to offset their belt level.
Punk has never had any real wrestling experience. White belt in kenpo and BJJ. That is it.

I train MMA recreationally..I cant begin to explain to tell you how much respect I have for REAL fighters. I train BJJ as well and the purple belts destroy my life easily. I'm considered to be in great shape in my class, I have great power, my coach says I am very impressive for a noob at BJJ. I have 4 years of boxing experience and let me tell you...the few purple belts easily nuke my life within seconds.

How in God's name will CM punk beat Gall? I just dont see it...am I missing something here? I am not a hater at all..I like CM Punk but this is not a sport you just adopt and conquer in. Brock was a legend at wrestling and thats the best sport to have a base in to do well in the UFC.

EDIT: Thread title meant to say how can a noob beat a purple belt in an MMA fight.

1. THEY'RE NOT IN A GI, I GET IT PURPLE BELT BETTER THAN WHITE BELT IN NO GI... BUT CM PUNK HAS BEEN TRAINING ALOT AND THAT MAY CLOSE THE GAP AND IT'S NOT bjj match.

Who knows what will happen, that's why they actually have to fight and why we tune in

Why would he worry about that when he's probably only gonna see the ground as he's woken up? I'm sure Dan Mirgaliotta's jits isn't as good as Punk's, so he's ok.

He's been training bjj for like 8 years he just hardly ever uses a GI so that's why he isnt higher ranked

Doesn't matter if he's fighting a purple or a rainbow belt.
If he can land a clean shot it'll be all over.

How long was John Jones training before he took his first pro fight? I want to say 6 months... but someone will need to fact check this.

Few years later, he's a UFC champ and considered the greatest ever.

I've trained with guys who made it to purple in 2.5-3 years. Others are still white belt after 4. It's more of your dedication and ability to apply it all.

Basically, he could be at a high level of skills all around. Or be flopping fish with Ronda striking abilities. At least he is willing to man up and step in there (allegedly). I respect anyone who is willing to go to battle vs. another trained human being.

Personally, I don't think CM Punk will beat Gall, but this is MMA, not BJJ. Shots on the feet and on the ground will open up sub opportunities that you wouldn't normally see, plus gi ranking doesn't always equal MMA ground ability. Pettis was a blue belt when he submitted the newly black-belted Ben Henderson, and Holloway was a blue belt when he choked out black belt Cub Swanson. Jones, Condit, Cerrone, and Ferguson rarely train in a gi, but all have submitted black belts.

*"I train mma... I train BJJ as well"

I doubt that this fight will be competitive at all.

I feel like Hes going to win. MMA is a cruel mistress and she rarely gives us what should happen

It had been reported he studied BJJ on his own even before that while he was wrestling. So it's quite possible he's around purple belt level. Might be only blue, but purple isn't unimaginable.
Here's a quote from Rener Gracie more than two years ago: "With the little time he’s had with me spread out over so many years, he’s made remarkable progress." A number of years of on and off training, even if just dabbling, followed by 2 years of intensive, high level training is enough to make someone competent on the ground.

I don't care who wins this, as neither guy is UFC-level. But the idea that this is a purple belt against a complete noob isn't accurate.

Personally, I don't think CM Punk will beat Gall, but this is MMA, not BJJ. Shots on the feet and on the ground will open up sub opportunities that you wouldn't normally see, plus gi ranking doesn't always equal MMA ground ability. Pettis was a blue belt when he submitted the newly black-belted Ben Henderson, and Holloway was a blue belt when he choked out black belt Cub Swanson. Jones, Condit, Cerrone, and Ferguson rarely train in a gi, but all have submitted black belts.

Matt huges beat the hell outta all sorts of black belts as well

As if Gall will ever make it past the standup

oJbq1.gif

His years as a wrestler will nullify that

Punk has never had any real wrestling experience. White belt in kenpo and BJJ. That is it.

Then yeah, not looking good. Never fought, coming off multiple surgeries, old and by most accounts I've read kind of a baby.

I enjoy occassional silly freakshow fights and mismatches. We might as well enjoy it while it lasts because eventualy the sport will begin to take itself too seriously.

Back