How in God's name can a noobie beat a purple belt in BJJ? (Punk V Gall)

*"I train mma... I train BJJ as well"

What's wrong with that? Believe it or not at the academy I train MMA is a course in itself and when we use BJJ in MMA its considered combat BJJ. Real BJJ by itself is gi or no gi. I understand it may sound incorrect what I'm saying but technically its accurate.

All I'm saying is that 2 years of consistent training everday is definitely enough to hang with most purple belts.

Or at least enough to survive.

Fact.

BJJ is all about learning technique and how many hours you put in.

If you train for 3 years every day, you should be a BJJ purple belt NO question.

Shogun is very capable on the ground, and unless he and his brother Ninja are telling wild stories, they began training in BJJ first as children. They literally grew up grappling.

Obviously Shogun was famous for his devastating MT, but knocking guys out in the first round for the first half of your career doesn't mean you are not a ground player. Take Jose Aldo for example.

Suffice to say that out of his 10 career losses, Shogun was tapped 3 times. Sobral - who is a world famous competition level early jiu-jitsu player at the time, Forrest and Sonnen. Chael is an excellent MMA adapted grappler, go rewatch him putting away Brian Stann with an arm triangle, look at his setup and adjustments.

I would be willing to bet Shogun had 5,000 hours on the mat before he fought Forrest the first time.

Obviously shogun is no bum on the ground but I'm just making the point that there are different levels of every belt at every gym.

Cm punk may be a white or a blue belt, but based on the guys who have been teaching him, his blue belt may be more impressive than Gall's purple.

I don't know if thats true because I don't know where Gall trains jiu jitsu or who he is learning from. I do know that with three or so years learning under Ryron and Rener and at Roofusport he should have a solid ground game. Maybe not high level enough to be fighting in the ufc, but I also doubt he will be easy for Gall to just take down and submit with ease.

Then again....punches change everything. Lol.

Fact.

BJJ is all about learning technique and how many hours you put in.

If you train for 3 years every day, you should be a BJJ purple belt NO question.

If you train for 3 years every single day then yes.

If you trian like twice a week though? It can still be very normal to be a blue still at that point. It also depends on the school. I know at Gracie Humaita where I trained at for a few years that they were very stingy with promotions. You had to show proficiency in both technique and in both sport and self defense situations, plus be legit during rolls.

Most Gracie gyms are stingy with promotions. Other top gyms can be as well. Some gyms just hand out promotions though. It really just depends. I've rolled with fellow purple belts from other places that were no better than some of our weaker blue belts. However, I've also rolled with blue belts from other places that were every bit as good as me, just less experienced. So it just really depends.

Punk has been training BJJ for a long time. Now do I think he wins? No

Just wanted to note - Forrest Griffin was awarded his black belt by Robert Drysdale, who had been his instructor for years at that point. The Octagon is a complicated thing, but that aside - you are day dreaming if you think the Forrest Griffin who tapped out Shogun is getting rolled up like tin-foil at your local academy. He is not. He likely mops the floor with the guys who mop the floor with the guys you consider high level.

Unless Drysdale is a unabashed liar, he is on record saying Forrest has done well rolling with guys that compete internationally.

To respond to one other thing you said though...

No he wouldn't mop the floor with guys I think are high level that train there or have trained there. Guys like Regis Lebre, Royler Gracie, Johnny Faria, and oh yeah, other guys that represent from there like Saulo Ribeiro , Xande Ribeiro, Zak Maxwell, Rafael Lovato Jr etc etc would twist Forrest up like a pretzel in straight Jiu Jitsu.

Mma is a different story. Forrest was a bit overrated but clearly good enough to be a former ufc LHW champ. Obviously he is a badass motherfucker. I just noticed that you tried to discredit where I trained and I have to represent. It's Gracie Humaita, one of the best camps in the world. Not some McDojo somewhere lol.

Hasn't Punk been an MMA fighter for like a year now? You do know you can get a blue belt in about a year of BJJ training, right?

Oh yeah, isn't Mighty Mouse a white belt in BJJ?

I train MMA recreationally..I cant begin to explain to tell you how much respect I have for REAL fighters. I train BJJ as well and the purple belts destroy my life easily. I'm considered to be in great shape in my class, I have great power, my coach says I am very impressive for a noob at BJJ. I have 4 years of boxing experience and let me tell you...the few purple belts easily nuke my life within seconds.

How in God's name will CM punk beat Gall? I just dont see it...am I missing something here? I am not a hater at all..I like CM Punk but this is not a sport you just adopt and conquer in. Brock was a legend at wrestling and thats the best sport to have a base in to do well in the UFC.

EDIT: Thread title meant to say how can a noob beat a purple belt in an MMA fight.
  1. CJ is on undefeated 2 year streak
  2. He's beaten Brock and The Undertaker.
  3. He's a natural Super HW who will prolly come in at fight nite at 350.
  4. Even the Gracies said CJ and Al Bundy's potential is tremendous
  5. His kicks make Cro Cop's LHK look like a pillow

I gotta say I think CM Punk is probably sandbagging with this white belt stuff. From what understand he's been training bjj for years, and I find it hard to believe he'd be dumb enough to enter the UFC if he didn't believe he had some legitimate skills to back it up. Whatever the reason for him not being promoted I doubt it's because he's not progressed significantly in that time.

Why is this even being discussed? We all know Punk is never gonna fight in the cage, the same as Rhonda is never coming back.

Oh yeah, isn't Mighty Mouse a white belt in BJJ?

Yeah I think so.. and Matt Hughes most famously, as well a bunch of other very good mma grapplers who escape me right now.

How in God's name will CM punk beat Gall? I just dont see it...am I missing something here? I am not a hater at all..I like CM Punk but this is not a sport you just adopt and conquer in. Brock was a legend at wrestling and thats the best sport to have a base in to do well in the UFC.

He cant at his age and size and he wont. If i were a betting man i would put bet house on this fight.

I started training around the same time as him and today i tap purple belt often and even some brown in grappling so what can i do in mma?i probably train less than him

Obviously shogun is no bum on the ground but I'm just making the point that there are different levels of every belt at every gym.

Cm punk may be a white or a blue belt, but based on the guys who have been teaching him, his blue belt may be more impressive than Gall's purple.

I don't know if thats true because I don't know where Gall trains jiu jitsu or who he is learning from. I do know that with three or so years learning under Ryron and Rener and at Roofusport he should have a solid ground game. Maybe not high level enough to be fighting in the ufc, but I also doubt he will be easy for Gall to just take down and submit with ease.

Then again....punches change everything. Lol.

Yes Ryron and Rener only award Belts to those who are deadly warriors.
al-bundy-aja-dang-rener-gracie-jiu-jitsu.jpg

CMs been training with a deadly crew of young lions
BAxORXVCEAA8YEc.jpg:large

or in this case, we tune in because its Stipe vs Overeem. Anyone buying this card because of CM Punk is a retard.

That's what I was saying but why would they be a "retard"? Not everyone is a hardcore fan and a lot of wwe fans will watch because of cm punk.

What we need here on Sherdog is more threads expressing doubt that Punk will win this fight. There aren't enough of those.

A purple belt becomes a white belt once they get rocked

This is a terrible reply, if people are high level jits players they will have the movements so tight they can do it when nearly unconscious.

I love me some wrestling but punk shouldn't do well here. He was considered awkward and unathletic by wrestling standards. Punk is old and has lots of mileage on his body.

Back