How Has Your View Of 125 Changed?

For some reason I hated watching DJ.. but liked watching Fig.. and love Moreno.

So you feel the only way to be a “real fan” is to equally appreciate all divisions, and watch the sport for technical displays of talent?

Isn’t that a super narrow view? I’m not saying I personally don’t appreciate it, but I can accept that some people watch cage fighting to see violence. They want cro cop head kicks, and they want highlights. That’s why Jorge masvidal became a sensation overnight. But I don’t think masvidal fans “aren’t real fans”
No just to not shit on An entire weight class of hard workers bc they are a few inches shorter

DJ should come back. Henry needs to come back. Add a few more vet scrappers and we got another marquis division.

They need to raise the profile of the fights in the top 10. They're having the contender fights buried on cards then they're suddenly in a title fight. Of course people aren't going to care if they've never heard of the contender and that damages the champ

Why do you think he was treated unfairly? Usman is treated the same way, and the dude has straight up knocked out a couple guys now. Is your beef with fans in general, or specifically the DJ situation?
I was just correcting @Marko Polo that my original reply was criticizing the flaws in his argument and that I wasn't speaking on his separate argument that fans treated DJ unfairly (see below for more detail).

It’s not my argument it’s the general consensus.
Your argument:
Henry and Devison showed that guys in that devision can be exciting and get finishes. Not saying Mighty Mouse wasn’t exciting, I used to enjoy his fights, but casuals don’t wanna see someone who is too calculated. They want someone to take risks.
You began your argument off that Cejudo and Figueiredo demonstrated that Flyweights could be both exciting and get finishes, as if no Flyweight prior had both of those qualities. You admit that Johnson is an exciting fighter, thereby suggesting that he didn't have finishes (recall, the start of your argument refers specifically to Flyweights being both "exciting" and getting "finishes"). You added on to your argument that you think Johnson never took risks.

Johnson suplexing Borg into an armbar, even though Johnson was ahead on the scorecards, demonstrated all three of the qualities you claimed only Cejudo and Figueiredo had showcased; Johnson had a risky and exciting finish. Of course you may have argued that one example doesn't disprove your characterization of Johnson, so I pointed out that of the 11 title defenses Johnson had, he finished his opponents in 7 of them.

I think Johnson not selling high PPV buyrates had less to do with his performance in the octagon and more to do with his personality, the circumstances in which he became the champion, the climate at the time of his emergence, and the UFC never truly believing in him.

I had no problem with the division, it was mostly the uninspiring champion in DJ.

Loved it when DJ was champ. Love it today.

I was just correcting @Marko Polo that my original reply was criticizing the flaws in his argument and that I wasn't speaking on his separate argument that fans treated DJ unfairly (see below for more detail).

Your argument:

You began your argument off that Cejudo and Figueiredo demonstrated that Flyweights could be both exciting and get finishes, as if no Flyweight prior had both of those qualities. You admit that Johnson is an exciting fighter, thereby suggesting that he didn't have finishes (recall, the start of your argument refers specifically to Flyweights being both "exciting" and getting "finishes"). You added on to your argument that you think Johnson never took risks.

Johnson suplexing Borg into an armbar, even though Johnson was ahead on the scorecards, demonstrated all three of the qualities you claimed only Cejudo and Figueiredo had showcased; Johnson had a risky and exciting finish. Of course you may have argued that one example doesn't disprove your characterization of Johnson, so I pointed out that of the 11 title defenses Johnson had, he finished his opponents in 7 of them.

I think Johnson not selling high PPV buyrates had less to do with his performance in the octagon and more to do with his personality, the circumstances in which he became the champion, the climate at the time of his emergence, and the UFC never truly believing in him.

Need I remind you that this is a forum and not a courtroom.

Back in the day you had guys like Salvador Sanchez, Julio Cesar Chavez, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello etc....
I've always enjoyed the lighter guys, I don't understand people that don't. I was a big Mighty Mouse fan and love Moreno now. As for the heavier guys, prime Larry Holmes and early Muhammad Ali/Cassius Clay could KO you but also were great examples oh guys with high skill levels.

Chavez, the way he would constantly work the body and always saw an opening. His head moved like he was hunting and just would land shot after shot after shot. He made people look like he was demonstrating to his student proper technique. So many good boxers around that time.

My guess is people are not really watching the fight closely if they don't like the lighter divisions. It's like baseball, it's boring, unless you are trying to guess the pitches and anticipate where it will go. Knowing what the pitcher has and Calling it before it happens. In the lighter divisions, you get to see allot of tools being used.

i was okay to watch dj defend when he was in the ufc,but never really cared about them outside dj defences.
i dont really like it now.division has no direction.thers no clear contenders.bunch of new names who in the era of old flw wouldnt be ranked so high.
i rank it on a wmma level still and even lower now

I've always been a fan. I've always thought it was mostly a top heavy division and I would say that's still kind of the case but definitely the guys outside the top 10 overall are a lot better than in the past. If you removed MM from the division during his reign you would have had Cejudo, Horiguchi, Benavidez and Dodson all fighting each other for the belt and idk how anyone can really say that wouldn't have been an interesting time. MM was just so good and beat all the other top guys and typically in dominant fashion that it made the division look weak. And those top guys he beat were generally dominating everyone else too so it seemed like there was no where for the division to go until someone finally got to MM's level or he slips up.

Nowadays I think the division is in a healthy positiion. There are still great guys at the top but the top 10 is very strong too and guys like Askarov are strong threats to the champion. It will continue to get better over time too.

They need to raise the profile of the fights in the top 10. They're having the contender fights buried on cards then they're suddenly in a title fight. Of course people aren't going to care if they've never heard of the contender and that damages the champ

This. I looked up the previous fight of all top 16 guys and where they were placed on the card, excluding title fights.

Brandon Moreno (PPV Prelim)
Deiveson Figueiredo (FN Prelim)
Askar Askarov (PPV Prelim)
Alexandre Pantoja (FN Main Card)
Alex Perez (PPV Early Prelim)
Joseph Benavidez (PPV Prelim)
Brandon Royval (PPV Prelim)
Kai Kara-France (PPV Prelim)
Rogerio Bontorin (PPV Main Card)
Matt Schnell (PPV Main Card)
Tim Elliott (PPV Early Prelim)
David Dvorak (FN Prelim)
Raulian Paiva (PPV Early Prelim)
Su Madaerji (FN Prelim)
Matheus Nicolau (FN Main Card)
Amir Albazi (PPV Early Prelim)

5 were on PPV Prelims.
4 were on early PPV Prelims.
3 were on FN Prelims.
2 were on FN Main Card.
2 were on PPV Main Card (albeit at a different weight and only because of cancellations).

So only 4/16 were on main cards. No wonder people don’t know who half these guys are.

I wasn’t here to see it all live, but I went back and certainly watched all of DJ’s fights. And watched many of the other 125 fights as well. I’ve seen I believe all of the main cards in the modern era, by now. And a lot of the prelims too. I always liked the speed and athleticism of that weight class. Even if they don’t traditionally have one shot KO power. I don’t really focus on the fact that they are ridiculously small.

Back