How Has Your View Of 125 Changed?

It's all how you fight. I'd follow Su Mudaerji and the like il whichever weight class they're in, because they're so damn graceful to watch when in full flow....

My argument is that your argument is flawed, not that the fans treated him unfairly.
Why do you think he was treated unfairly? Usman is treated the same way, and the dude has straight up knocked out a couple guys now. Is your beef with fans in general, or specifically the DJ situation?

But what if blood-lust and violence ARE good for the sport itself. At the end of the day when we talk about “fight of the year” “best fights ever” and “wow what a fight”, we’re almost always talking about wars….right? I mean seriously, no offense to anyone, but I can’t remember the last time I saw someone fight a perfect fight and it drew in fans or attention. It’s always the knockout or the sub, or the crazy war. It’s the guys that talk and use social media.

I’m not saying your wrong for appreciating technique, because there’s some very technical fighters I enjoy strictly for specific talents and techniques they use. When a guy like Gane or JDS steps on someone’s foot to hit them with and uppercut? That shit butters my biscuits. And yet I still find myself hopelessly more satisfied with a good old fashioned 5 round war. Give me Dan Hooker vs Dustin. Give me Izzy vs KG. I don’t think it’s wrong to be drawn to close fights.

The same way I think watching a 4th quarter 2 point basketball game with two average college teams can be more interesting then watching Lebron James dominate another very talented nba team. It’s not always about the level of talent. Sometimes a good game or fight is just good.
I'm not saying exciting fights aren't good for the sport. They obviously are. I'm simply saying that any lack of appreciation for fights/fighters that don't meet that standard is silly. Ironically, "just bleed" fans are the true "casuals" of the mma fan base.

I gotta admit it's more refreshing after the DJ era. For me the 125ers of today are just much more fun to watch, and the UFC did a good job bringing in exciting fighters from different orgs. Nonetheless, props to DJ's long time reign and dominance coz he showed that fighters even in the lowest weight class can make it to the top P4P fighters of all time, and he made the division legit.

Honestly I straight up get 125-145 all mixed up all the time.

But as far as 125, I think Mighty Mouse was so good vs his competitors that it made that weight class boring. On top of that, meathead fans don’t have the same respect for the smaller guys because they feel like they can kick their ass.

I cannot even count the number of times I have heard the words "Midget Fight!" when the 125ers enter the cage.

I'm not saying exciting fights aren't good for the sport. They obviously are. I'm simply saying that any lack of appreciation for fights/fighters that don't meet that standard is silly. Ironically, "just bleed" fans are the true "casuals" of the mma fan base.
I get what you mean. People who come for the sport itself can appreciate talent, and also appreciate violence. Where as some folks who come for wars only tend to under appreciate technique. We’re on the same page my friend. Valid point.

Reactions: D'z
I honestly took a smoke break and short walk during the Figgy fight during the last card. I have the utmost respect for the fighters but there's really nothing in the division right now to keep me interested. I'd rather watch top wmma

Restructuring the weight classes and getting rid of 125 is what I'd like to see

I think you always want activity and skill, which the lighter weights always have. You also want that activity to have danger and consequence to it, which I think people needed to be sold on. And like any partition of the sport (weight, geography, sex, MMA generally), it gets better after the initial investment and you start getting getting a higher level of competition coming in, if it's available.

As that competition level rises, and you get a few proof-of-concept fighters that demonstrate that you can have true one-hitter-quitter power at that size (like Figgy), then it also makes the guys who can take a punch (like Moreno) more impressive, and then that makes the back and forth slugfests all the more exciting.

In a sense, it's like this in every sport. It gets exciting not just because of what does happen, but because of what could happen. It's why a deep pass in football is exciting to fans even when it just barely goes incomplete. Fans have to learn to identify a scoring opportunity in soccer or baseball, or a threatening position on the ground in MMA, before they're really getting all there is to enjoy out of the sport. I think people needed to see enough KOs and the like at flyweight to to understand that it's still a real threat at that size.

Henry and Devison showed that guys in that devision can be exciting and get finishes. Not saying Mighty Mouse wasn’t exciting, I used to enjoy his fights, but casuals don’t wanna see someone who is too calculated. They want someone to take risks.
Nobody cares about the casuals. Let them go watch Jake Paul until they find something else to get excited about. This is a sport, if they don't get it they don't get it.

I think overtime ppl are starting to appreciate the smaller fighters because they put on a faster pace and don't get as sloppy

I like all divisions. The art and technique and skill in MMA can be seen in the lighter divisions. When I started to get bored of boxing I could still count at looking at the lighter divisions to watch the sweet science in boxing. With HW's, its polar opposite, like Tyson said, all game planes go out the window once you are getting hit in the face.

Someone in the future will turn the light weight division into looking like a kung fu movie.

I honestly took a smoke break and short walk during the Figgy fight during the last card. I have the utmost respect for the fighters but there's really nothing in the division right now to keep me interested. I'd rather watch top wmma

Not sure if serious.

Always liked the 125 division but in the DJ era i was mostly interrested in title fight.
Now i'm really into the whole top 10. Figgy and Moreno for sure, but Askarov, Pantoja, Perez, Benavidez, Royval, Manel Kape (before UFC), Tim Elliott are super fun fighter.
Rewatched yesterday Moreno vs Askarov, i forget it was such a crazy fight

I cant believe how good Moreno has gotten OR - in hindsight- Joey B has regressed beyond a great deal which made figster look that much better but figgy looked on his way to a lengthy reign.
IDK- I thought all 3 faves would win ( title fights & Leon) rather easily ..... even with the first fig-moreno being a draw.

I only bet one fight and that was Israel and that's as high as I go in betting favorites (-240ish area and only if super confident ....and nothing big).

Getting back to 125, maybe MSYBE ONE has best 125er in moraes.

As usual, we'll never know.

As we're midway through 2021, I'll say it again- I wish there was some way all the deemed major promotions could somehow combine and exist under the UFC.

I like all divisions. The art and technique and skill in MMA can be seen in the lighter divisions. When I started to get bored of boxing I could still count at looking at the lighter divisions to watch the sweet science in boxing. With HW's, its polar opposite, like Tyson said, all game planes go out the window once you are getting hit in the face.

Someone in the future will turn the light weight division into looking like a kung fu movie.
Back in the day you had guys like Salvador Sanchez, Julio Cesar Chavez, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello etc....
I've always enjoyed the lighter guys, I don't understand people that don't. I was a big Mighty Mouse fan and love Moreno now. As for the heavier guys, prime Larry Holmes and early Muhammad Ali/Cassius Clay could KO you but also were great examples oh guys with high skill levels.

Nobody cares about the casuals. Let them go watch Jake Paul until they find something else to get excited about. This is a sport, if they don't get it they don't get it.

Casuals get these fighters paid and for most of them that’s the only way this is worth it. Sure there are people here who will claim that they’d be happy with nothing as long fans know who they are, and I know money and wealth doesn’t always equal validity, but for what these guys go through to make it to the cage it’s only worth it if they’re well rewarded, and they should be too. Having the backing of the fans and having fans willing to fill out a stadium for you is one hell of a bargaining chip to have once contract renewal comes up.

You’re only cheating yourself man. Not sure how a rematch of a FOTY candidate doesn’t keep you interested but Nunes/Shevchenko crushing cans does.

It’s changed some. I’ll be honest, I was never the biggest fan of the FLW division, and I’m still not. I was not particularly excited about having Fig-Moreno 2 already, but both of their fights were really good and enjoyable. It’s just not my favorite division, and never has been.

Back