How Has Your View Of 125 Changed?

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Years ago, 125 was so uninspiring that it was getting “smoke break” treatment. Sure, hard cores could appreciate the talent and technique of a “one every 5-10 years” type of guy like DJ. However, it was most certainly stale. Did you ever really think DJ would lose? Or were you just rooting for something more interesting then domination to take place?

Has your opinion of 125 changed? Better or worse?

I couldn’t help but draw parallels to 205 where I’ve found that for my own personal taste, the lack of Jon Jones in the division has actually made it quite interesting again. I think it’s fun to see odd ball guys like Jan Blachowicz get a shot and become “the guy” for a bit. I think it’s fun to see the title change hands a few times before things settle down. Personally, I think volatile divisions create better match up opportunities and keep the sport fresh.

What about you?

Henry and Devison showed that guys in that devision can be exciting and get finishes. Not saying Mighty Mouse wasn’t exciting, I used to enjoy his fights, but casuals don’t wanna see someone who is too calculated. They want someone to take risks.

Honestly I straight up get 125-145 all mixed up all the time.

But as far as 125, I think Mighty Mouse was so good vs his competitors that it made that weight class boring. On top of that, meathead fans don’t have the same respect for the smaller guys because they feel like they can kick their ass.

Easy to say in hindsight but I always believe Cejudo had the tools to beat DJ, even after that first fight.

I've alway senjoyed the division. Agree with you with the 205 divisions, it's always been a great division, I just don't think DJ was charismatic enough or exciting enough in some peoples to help carry a division himself. Still wish we saw him competing against guys like Figgy etc now though.

Henry and Devison showed that guys in that devision can be exciting and get finishes. Not saying Mighty Mouse wasn’t exciting, I used to enjoy his fights, but casuals don’t wanna see someone who is too calculated. They want someone to take risks.
For sure. I think Fig left a huge imprint. To go from “lmao here comes five rounds of point fighting again” criticisms, to Fig knocking out Benevidez the way that he did, in front of his wife who’s a public figure in the UFC…and to do it so brutally…It was such a gear shift. Those knockouts are what most people expect at heavyweight, not 125. So for him to totally change the expectations…for me it was one of the more memorable knockouts in recent years

I always liked the division, they had plenty of fun scraps. However, it was dead before it started because from the get go you had a champion that was way ahead of everybody else. This made the division feel stagnant and as is the case with most divisions with a dominant champion, just made the division appear weak.

Figueiredo was the perfect champion to get things flowing again. Guy comes to crack and puts on exciting performances. Then Moreno winning helps the division feel more alive as well. The division is still in the rebuilding phase so plenty to look forward to.

DJ was ahead on the scorecards when he did this:
tumblr_oxo690bmFp1r7vh24o1_540.gifv

He also had 7 finishes out of 11 title defenses

Anyone that had issues with 125 wasn't a real fan of the sport.
So you feel the only way to be a “real fan” is to equally appreciate all divisions, and watch the sport for technical displays of talent?

Isn’t that a super narrow view? I’m not saying I personally don’t appreciate it, but I can accept that some people watch cage fighting to see violence. They want cro cop head kicks, and they want highlights. That’s why Jorge masvidal became a sensation overnight. But I don’t think masvidal fans “aren’t real fans”

So you feel the only way to be a “real fan” is to equally appreciate all divisions, and watch the sport for technical displays of talent?

Isn’t that a super narrow view? I’m not saying I personally don’t appreciate it, but I can accept that some people watch cage fighting to see violence.
It's putting to rest all the "just bleed" fans that can't appreciate fights that don't end in some brutal KO. They're the equivalent to fair-weather sports fans. Only in it as long as it suits them. Don't get me wrong, there's a certain amount of acceptable blood-lust when you're a MMA fan, but to value your own entertainment over the sport itself is obtuse, selfish, and short-sighted.

For sure. I think Fig left a huge imprint. To go from “lmao here comes five rounds of point fighting again” criticisms, to Fig knocking out Benevidez the way that he did, in front of his wife who’s a public figure in the UFC…and to do it so brutally…It was such a gear shift. Those knockouts are what most people expect at heavyweight, not 125. So for him to totally change the expectations…for me it was one of the more memorable knockouts in recent years

I’ll be honest man I missed that one live but caught up the next morning. I didn’t really know what I was seeing. Those smaller guys don’t normally fight like that, walking the opponent down with their hands by their sides. He fought like he had never been told that he’s supposed to be boring because he’s in a lighter weight class.

It would have been great to see how DJ did in this current crop of fighters. Not only because it would be interesting to see how he matches up, but now that the division is filled with characters it gives more room for a no nonsense fighter like DJ to provide contrast to all the noise. He was the only noteworthy fighter in his hey day in that division and could you imagine how unlikable he would have been if he was talking all trash about fighters he already dominated.

DJ was ahead on the scorecards when he did this:
tumblr_oxo690bmFp1r7vh24o1_540.gifv

He also had 7 finishes out of 11 title defenses

We’ve all seen this bud. There is definitely an argument to be made that fans attitude towards him wasn’t fair.

We’ve all seen this bud. There is definitely an argument to be made that fans attitude towards him wasn’t fair.
My argument is that your argument is flawed, not that the fans treated him unfairly.

It's putting to rest all the "just bleed" fans that can't appreciate fights that don't end in some brutal KO. They're the equivalent to fair-weather sports fans. Only in it as long as it suits them. Don't get me wrong, there's a certain amount of acceptable blood-lust when you're a MMA fan, but to value your own entertainment over the sport itself is obtuse, selfish, and short-sighted.
But what if blood-lust and violence ARE good for the sport itself. At the end of the day when we talk about “fight of the year” “best fights ever” and “wow what a fight”, we’re almost always talking about wars….right? I mean seriously, no offense to anyone, but I can’t remember the last time I saw someone fight a perfect fight and it drew in fans or attention. It’s always the knockout or the sub, or the crazy war. It’s the guys that talk and use social media.

I’m not saying your wrong for appreciating technique, because there’s some very technical fighters I enjoy strictly for specific talents and techniques they use. When a guy like Gane or JDS steps on someone’s foot to hit them with and uppercut? That shit butters my biscuits. And yet I still find myself hopelessly more satisfied with a good old fashioned 5 round war. Give me Dan Hooker vs Dustin. Give me Izzy vs KG. I don’t think it’s wrong to be drawn to close fights.

The same way I think watching a 4th quarter 2 point basketball game with two average college teams can be more interesting then watching Lebron James dominate another very talented nba team. It’s not always about the level of talent. Sometimes a good game or fight is just good.

It's still a weak division. The current champ was cut 3 years ago. The last champ couldn't make weight on a regular basis without being depleted. Same thing with Cejudo who went up to 135. I don't think it will ever be a strong division.

Back