How Great is Eddie Bravo?

tudor_bjj said:
1.Can you read, ballicker? I wrote: "50 grapplers that are or were above Eddie" and "about a guy who's not top 50 ever". Why don't you speak English as good as you hug balls?

2. If nobody have seen Napoleon, can we say that he was not one of the greatest military strategist? Do you believe only what you see?

3. Ricco is bogus? ADCC Absolute Class Champion, 2 times +99 kg finalist, with wins against Moraes, Nogueira, Bustamante is bogus to you? But I didn't even put Ricco on that list! Take one name out of that list and put Eddie in his place! Do it! Who's the one you picked? Who will be replaced by the great "ADCC quarter finalist"? Do you think that, let's say Bitetti, undefeated over a decade, or Ribeiro, 2 times ADCC champ, 6 times Mundial champ, would have been proud of winning a trial or being declared the most technical fighter of that trials? Do you know who Marco Aurelio is? I'm sure you don't! Do you see him claiming left and right that he beat Royler Gracie (in gi JJ, BTW)?

I don't hate Eddie, dear Ms. Bravo. I said many times he's a very good grappler, I recommended his book, recognized the fact that he brought a new vision to no gi JJ. But I can't stand the bullshit surrounding him on this forum. You don't see this on UG or JJ Gear. You know why? Because there, people know a lot about grappling. But here there are guys with less experience in this sport that believe the big non-senses that you and other bandwaggon-eers are saying about Bravo.

did eddie touch you as a child or something? so much hate.

btw Im not saying ricco is better/worse grappler , im sayin they're in totally different weight classes and that im sure ricco would have great things to say about eddie's skill since he's rolled w/ him.

EB is cool and all but he isn't a revolutionary. He is just bringing out the old and everybody thinks it's the new. You know what's funny is he most likely has trained way more in the gi than without it, he is even in the JJ Machado gi instructional tapes for god sakes.

Also Royler never had a point scored upon him only when the points started counting.

FutureBxer said:
did eddie touch you as a child or something? so much hate.

btw Im not saying ricco is better/worse grappler , im sayin they're in totally different weight classes and that im sure ricco would have great things to say about eddie's skill since he's rolled w/ him.
Did Eddie Bravo touch you as an adult? Seems so.

FutureBxer said:
eddie bravo:

*JJ machado black belt

*won the north american abu dhabi trials and "most technical fighter of the night"

*tapped out two black belt mundial champions at abu dhabi (one being royler gracie)

*all of which was done as a brown belt(receieved black belt after defeating royler)

* invented/improved upon numerous techniques and specializes in no-gi grappling.

People will argue if he is a top grappler or not but looking at everything i stated above - nobody can deny he is extremely good.

The way i see it - you have to be one hell of a grappler to achieve even one of those accomplishments

Some people here love him and some do not. You have to look up info on him and decide for yourself.

personally I think the guy is great. I have much respect for the man or else I wouldnt pay him 105 a month to train me. he's the homie too

AMEN. He's great. A revolutionary style that 10 years from now will be common in the progressive JJ/NoGi/Sub Wrestling mix.

I never say this, but some of the Eddie Bravo nuthuggers on here really need to learn about grappling. Sure, Eddie's good and he's added to the game. To say he's truly great and has revolutionized the sport is just buying into the marketing propaganda. I've seen nothing truly revolutionary out of him -- he emphasizes some things differently and he calls moves by different names. But he didn't invent most of this stuff.

Nino Schembri and others were doing rubber guard years ago.

The Twister (by Eddie's own admission) was just an old wrestling move.

Many of his half guard techniques can be found on Gordo's videos.

I find Eddie amusing and I bought his book. I think he's good for the sport. I don't think he's created a sea-change in the way grappling takes place.

Nate Pringle said:
AMEN. He's great. A revolutionary style that 10 years from now will be common in the progressive JJ/NoGi/Sub Wrestling mix.
Say "revolutionary" again! I dare you! I double dare you! :mad: :icon_evil

Its a revolving revolution among revolutions...

Bama Zulu said:
EB is cool and all but he isn't a revolutionary. He is just bringing out the old and everybody thinks it's the new. You know what's funny is he most likely has trained way more in the gi than without it, he is even in the JJ Machado gi instructional tapes for god sakes.

Also Royler never had a point scored upon him only when the points started counting.

so much ignorance. you're not even sure about his gi training yet you make statements about his technique. man i train at his academy and ppl that I talk to have never heard of this shit AT ALL. btw he did train w/ the gi while he trained under JJ machado but later dropped it.

johil d'o said:
I never say this, but some of the Eddie Bravo nuthuggers on here really need to learn about grappling. Sure, Eddie's good and he's added to the game. To say he's truly great and has revolutionized the sport is just buying into the marketing propaganda. I've seen nothing truly revolutionary out of him -- he emphasizes some things differently and he calls moves by different names. But he didn't invent most of this stuff.

Nino Schembri and others were doing rubber guard years ago.

The Twister (by Eddie's own admission) was just an old wrestling move.

Many of his half guard techniques can be found on Gordo's videos.

I find Eddie amusing and I bought his book. I think he's good for the sport. I don't think he's created a sea-change in the way grappling takes place.

maybe some of the haters need to get over the fact that eddie doesnt like the gi. and BS about the "marketing propaganda" man go train at his academy first before u say shit like this.. this guy has come up w/ some bizarre shit that really works. He has improved upon old techniques but also invented new ones. .. please go see it first hand before commenting like that.

eddie never claimed to 'invent' the rubber guard, it's no secret nino was using that. Nino and eddie have spoken and the stuff eddie uses from RG is not the same stuff nino uses.

and he never said he invented the twister, he openly says that it was an old wrestling move. But the way you setup the twister in wrestling wont work well in bjj - eddie invented multiple setups/transitions for the twister that work in bjj.

so he didnt invent the move - he invented setup's for the twister that would work in bjj

and his half guard shit is not the same as gordos... wtf man.

I'm sure Bravo has adapted techniques but I doubt he's actually invented anything given how long grappling has existed in one form or another. Rediscovered, maybe.

You have put down that he didn't invent the Twister but he invented the set ups. That would be incorrect as he may have adapted the technique to be attained from different positions but nothing was invented.

FutureBxer said:
so much ignorance. you're not even sure about his gi training yet you make statements about his technique. man i train at his academy and ppl that I talk to have never heard of this shit AT ALL. btw he did train w/ the gi while he trained under JJ machado but later dropped it.

maybe some of the haters need to get over the fact that eddie doesnt like the gi. and BS about the "marketing propaganda" man go train at his academy first before u say shit like this.. this guy has come up w/ some bizarre shit that really works. He has improved upon old techniques but also invented new ones. .. please go see it first hand before commenting like that.

eddie never claimed to 'invent' the rubber guard, it's no secret nino was using that. Nino and eddie have spoken and the stuff eddie uses from RG is not the same stuff nino uses.

and he never said he invented the twister, he openly says that it was an old wrestling move. But the way you setup the twister in wrestling wont work well in bjj - eddie invented multiple setups/transitions for the twister that work in bjj.

so he didnt invent the move - he invented setup's for the twister that would work in bjj

and his half guard shit is not the same as gordos... wtf man.

And by the way, how is Eddie as a lover??

I train in LA and have friends who train with Eddie. I am very familiar with Eddie and his materials. So tone down the rhetoric son, before you embarrass yourself further.

Resendiz said:
Its a revolving revolution among revolutions...
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
suicide.gif

:D

Actually.....Im pretty sure he does train at 10th Planet......

Gordo's halfguard techniques > Eddie Bravo's

And guess what.. he is a gi player!!! WTF!!?? Look at who's in Babalu's corner.. oh shit it's Gordo!

tudor_bjj said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
suicide.gif

:D

Notice how the gun has a revolver...

Dr. BadAss said:
I'm surprised Iceman hasn't come here to defend him yet. =P

LOL. Just read this.

Look. I won't pretend to know anything about ADCC or the current standings in grappling and BJJ. I barely manage to catch up with MMA. I spend more of my time training and making myself better. But all I know is the stuff in his book works great for me.

the old school is the gordo half guard sweep, he just named everything different. before his "Rubber Guard" was all talked about, i've done it. i've seen others do it too. the twister is NOT his invention it's a wrestling move called the guillotine and guess what! the "twister" is in Bruce Lee's book (i made a thread about it before). He's a great no gi player, but personally i don't care for him much.

Back