How Great is Eddie Bravo?

Jack321

White Belt
Reaction score
I was looking over his book and it seems to indicate the stuff he teaches is revolutionary. Is it? I don't know much about BJJ (studied Judo) but some of the stuff in the book I had never heard of from watching MMA, like a "New Yorker". By the way, was he a great BJJ competitor?

Thanks

His approach to applying jiujitsu for MMA or nogi competition is quite different from others as is his method of teaching using a more military like approach for performing drills. He calls his techniques different names because while everyone knows what triangles and half guard sweeps are, not everyone knows what a meathook set up or old school is. You can pick up his Twister DVD and judge for yourself whether you think he's a good BJJ practitioner.

He's obviously very good. He's a blackbelt under JJ Machado and is quite well known in grappling circles. Some people love him, some people don't. Read up on him and judge for yourself.

he hasnt really done much tournament wise. Sure he beat Royler but i will bet you $1,000 royler would defeat him easy if they rolled again. He never won any real major tournaments.

he's a strictly no-gi guy and bashes the gi which isnt really a good thing if you want to have friends in the ju-jistu world. He claims to have invented all those half guard techniques and everything but he didnt invent them, he just got really good at them and it threw everyone off.

Look at his match with Leo Vieira in ADCC after he beat Royler. That was an ass beating.

There are lots of people who like him but personally I dont. He bashes the gi, claims his fighting style is the best, and claims he invented stuff he didnt.

In the list of bjj fighters currently competing, he isnt in the top 30

In the grande list of all time bjj fighters, i wouldnt put him in the top 100

I think Eddie Bravo is awesome. He did beat Royler, which I think, is enough to prove he is good at jits. His book Jiu Jitsu Unleashed is cool, too.

Tapped out Royler...

.... That's pretty much it I think. Oh and he said he invented techniques.

LCDforMe said:
I think Eddie Bravo is awesome. He did beat Royler, which I think, is enough to prove he is good at jits. His book Jiu Jitsu Unleashed is cool, too.

He choked Royler to tap him in a no gi competition after being dominated for the majority of the fight positionally and in points. It was not a BJJ competition. As such, I think saying he has better jiujitsu is questionable. A very good triangle in no gi competition, yes. However it wasn't competitive until that moment in the match which is why many have sided with Royler saying he got sloppy because he thought he had the win in the bag and Bravo got lucky.

I don't believe he's competed in ANY competitions since then and he got dominated by Leo Viera after he fought Royler. I think a lot of people question his abilities as he is known for tapping Royler but was being beaten and has not faced any other top black belt champions since then which has led to criticism that he is trying to protect his marketability as "the guy that tapped Royler".

I'm surprised Iceman hasn't come here to defend him yet. =P

OH MY GOD! It never ends, it never ends...
very-sad-indeed.JPG

Superbeast said:
He choked Royler to tap him in a no gi competition after being dominated for the majority of the fight positionally and in points. It was not a BJJ competition. As such, I think saying he has better jiujitsu is questionable. A very good triangle in no gi competition, yes. However it wasn't competitive until that moment in the match which is why many have sided with Royler saying he got sloppy because he thought he had the win in the bag and Bravo got lucky.

I don't believe he's competed in ANY competitions since then and he got dominated by Leo Viera after he fought Royler. I think a lot of people question his abilities as he is known for tapping Royler but was being beaten and has not faced any other top black belt champions since then which has led to criticism that he is trying to protect his marketability as "the guy that tapped Royler".

I got sloppy with my words. What I meant was that Bravo is good at sub wrestling.

You are right though. I think that his ability to triangle Royler, be it "luck", shows that he has game. You can't deny that. I know he would destroy 99.9% of the people on these boards in sub wrestling.

He is trying to protect his marketability as the guy that tapped Royler. I agree 100% with you on this. I think Eddie needs to branch out and start competing more. It is only natrual that he should, considering he claims to be such a phenom when it comes to the game.

Yes, Eddie is that damn good. He does have revolutionary techniques. His book Unleashed is def. worth buying.

Superbeast said:
He choked Royler to tap him in a no gi competition after being dominated for the majority of the fight positionally and in points. It was not a BJJ competition.
I thought they didn't start counting points until halfway thru the match... and iirc it was a 2-3 minute match, which means not enough time to start counting points.

eddie bravo:

*JJ machado black belt

*won the north american abu dhabi trials and "most technical fighter of the night"

*tapped out two black belt mundial champions at abu dhabi (one being royler gracie)

*all of which was done as a brown belt(receieved black belt after defeating royler)

* invented/improved upon numerous techniques and specializes in no-gi grappling.

People will argue if he is a top grappler or not but looking at everything i stated above - nobody can deny he is extremely good.

The way i see it - you have to be one hell of a grappler to achieve even one of those accomplishments

Some people here love him and some do not. You have to look up info on him and decide for yourself.

personally I think the guy is great. I have much respect for the man or else I wouldnt pay him 105 a month to train me. he's the homie too

Regardless of how well he is at applying what he knows, he does know his stuff.

mepersoner said:
Regardless of how well he is at applying what he knows, he does know his stuff.
This is very true. I think his book is good; even though, the beginning is too wordy. I haven't completed the whole thing, though. However, some Eddie Bravo worship is a little too much.

But let's have some fun anyway. Little known facts about Eddie Bravo:

According to the ancient Sumerian text, the oldest version of the bible, there is a tenth planet in our solar system called Nibiru where a highly advanced human-like civilization lives. Just before their planet exploded, the lone survivor was rocketed away to Earth. He is Eddie Bravo.

Eddie Bravo's jiu jitsu is off the hook.

In fine print at on the last page of the Guiness Book of World Records it notes that all world records are held by Eddie Bravo, and those listed in the book are simply the closest anyone has ever come to matching him.

When Eddie Bravo visited the Moscow, the Soviet Union fell. Eddie invented Sambo. He later taught it to Fedor Emelianenko.

Eddie Bravo puts the laughter in manslaughter.

A Handicap parking sign does not signify that this spot is for handicapped people. It is actually in fact a warning, that the spot belongs to Eddie Bravo and that you will be handicapped if you park there.

:-D

FutureBxer was pretty accurate in his post. Bravo tapped out Royler. Some people say it means everything (i.e. hes better than Royler) some people say it means nothing (Bravo got "lucky"). Regardless, you cant deny the fact that Eddie Bravo is an extremely skilled grappler.

Personally, I think the reason why he has so much heat on him was because:

1) He submitted Royler, which is a BIG thing. Consider that before their match, I dont believe anyone had even ever SCORED on Royler, let alone defeat him

2) he challenged the traditional setup and emphasis that BJJ had on the gi. All the talk was always about the gi- how useful it is, how magical it is, how it makes you a better grappler. Eddie was one of the first to take it off and say you dont need it to become a good grappler, in fact, he also exposed the weaknesses of many BJJ fighters who have never trained no gi and are so reliant on grips when it comes to grappling, hence their poor performances in MMA and no gi competitions.

I personally find the whole gi vs no gi argument amusing- all Bravo ever said was that if you want to get better in no gi the best way to go about this is to train without the gi. With all the aura and mystery surrounding the Gracies it was all thought to have magically dawned on you if you used the gi.

Bravo never said that training with the gi is not beneficial or will not make you a good BJJ fighter- merely that training no gi is a better option that training with the gi, if your purposes are to improve in no gi grappling. Those who still believe in the magic powers of the gi remind me an awful lot of those in the early MMA competitions who didnt want to believe that striking arts didnt have all the answers.

"He submitted Royler, which is a BIG thing. Consider that before their match, I dont believe anyone had even ever SCORED on Royler, let alone defeat him."

Royler won many Mundials and ADCC titles. No one had scored a point on him. Listen to that. Many accept that Royler is the most accomplished tournament grappler of the 1990s. Look at his accomplishments vs. Bravo and tell me that Eddie is the better grappler of all time, all things considered. C'mon -- Eddie doesn't claim that even. One match doesn't equal a career is all I'm saying.

Back