How Great is Eddie Bravo?

and if you want, ill find my thread about bruce lee and the "twister"

Aardvark said:
As opposed to oh, say .... Eddie Bravo?

eddie is not retired from competition.

one of the reason he hasnt competed often is because he opened his academy after adcc, 2 years ago, and teaches all the classes there. as you can imagine - thats a lot of work.

infact he was about to fight parrumpinha a little while ago but it had to be cancelled due to bad weather. look it up if u dun believe me

Superbeast said:
You have put down that he didn't invent the Twister but he invented the set ups. That would be incorrect as he may have adapted the technique to be attained from different positions but nothing was invented.

"adapted the technique to work from different positions" - you

"invented setup's that work in bjj" - me

= same shit to me man... but thats imo.

but anyways, Im nobodies nuthugger but i do have a lot of respect for eddie as he is my teacher and I feel a lot of the people on this forum make statements about him when they dont have all the right info. and some ppl are just haters cuz he dont like the gi.

he catches a lot of heat here when a lot of it is bs. people just wanna believe shit before they know all the facts.

my point is he's done enough to at least get your respect as a grappler but a lot of you guys dont even give that much.

Um why do you think he catches a lot of heat? Did you even watch his 10th Planet highlight where he said all that shit about gi-players? If you can, in a non-biased approach see how that could offend someone. And it's not in regards to people not knowing any better and that no-gi is the holy grail of life, it's just he sounds really ignorant.

Anyways, Gordo is the shit.

FutureBxer said:
eddie is not retired from competition.

one of the reason he hasnt competed often is because he opened his academy after adcc, 2 years ago, and teaches all the classes there. as you can imagine - thats a lot of work.

infact he was about to fight parrumpinha a little while ago but it had to be cancelled due to bad weather. look it up if u dun believe me

= same shit to me man... but thats imo.

but anyways, Im nobodies nuthugger but i do have a lot of respect for eddie as he is my teacher and I feel a lot of the people on this forum make statements about him when they dont have all the right info. and some ppl are just haters cuz he dont like the gi.

he catches a lot of heat here when a lot of it is bs. people just wanna believe shit before they know all the facts.

my point is he's done enough to at least get your respect as a grappler but a lot of you guys dont even give that much.

No its not that we make statesments about him when we dont have the right info.

Eddie bravo is dogged so badly because he spits on the plate he eats from. He trained under JJ who is a all around good gi player. He has one accomplishment that brought him fame and now all the sudden he is the "revolution".
The guy did well and was moving up in the ranks, then he got cocky and turned his back on where it all came from... When was the last time he fought? If he could win, why wouldnt he do it?
Dont tell me its because hes teaching... Almost every single guy who fights at that level has a school and teaches full time at it..

Give me a break, when the guy can produce top level fighters and or fight him self and WIN.. then and only then can he talk all this shit like his style is better, and that the gi is "pathetic"

He is the only guy who has some how made a career off 3rd place!?!

I think he should fight Royler mma, so royler can pick him apart and end these stupid fucking threads about how big of a piece of shit Eddie Bravo is. Every time one pops up i like the guy even less.

He has some cool moves you dont see often.. but other than his parlor tricks there isnt much there. He isnt someone to admire and strive to be like.. he is a cocky over rated chump. If he fights someone in his weightclass that is ranked in the top 10 and wins.. ill retract my statement.. untill then.... he should quit the shit talking.

FutureBxer said:
some ppl are just haters cuz he dont like the gi
"ppl" are not "haters"! They are giving you arguments. Nobody says Eddie is not great because he doesn't (as far as I know that's the correct form in English) like the gi (I, for my part, never said one word about this "gi vs. no gi" debate that he is in).
Stop it before you become the big whinning pussy of this board. Right now you're just a sissy...

Gsoares2 said:
:D :D :D

FutureBxer said:

in

Eddie Bravo is not even the top American grappler in the under 66kg category. Barrett Yoshida is. Then you have kids like Jeff Glover........who will probably be an ADCC regular for years to come.

Gsoares2 said:

I think he should fight Royler mma, so royler can pick him apart and end these stupid fucking threads about how big of a piece of shit Eddie Bravo is. Every time one pops up i like the guy even less.

He has some cool moves you dont see often.. but other than his parlor tricks there isnt much there.

Besides the fact that he beat Royler when he was a BROWN belt, do you think JJ Machado would award him a Black Belt without him being a legit BJJ practitioner? I don't think he is the greatest grappler ever, but he can hold his own, obviously.

He is a good marketing guy, and has pissed off some people with some bad words about the gi and gi players.

Even if you don't think his philosophy is something new, even if you don't think he is the best in his weight class, even if you think he is top 10 in America in his weight class, he is still a JJ Machado Black Belt! People saying he has no skills other than the half and rubber guard are just ignorant.

Kawlinz said:
So who else besides bravo did the wrestler's guillotine from side control? Just curious.... it wouldn't have been a wrestler, since if a wrestler got into side control, they win. There's no need for a setup in wrestling.

If indeed Bravo was the one to start the twister from side control, then he would've invented a setup, and adapted the submission. Just because previous setups for the twister/guillotine were previously know, that doesn't mean his specific one existed. One can get into rediculous extremes of the definitions of 'adapted' and 'invented' (Like adapting power, wire, and heat to make a lightbulb, rather than inventing it), but I believe that if he was the first to use the side setup, he invented it.

If my clear explanation of why it's not an invention doesn't sink in, nothing will. If previous set ups hadn't existed and the moved hadn't existed and Eddie came up with both, then it'd be an invention. As is set ups did exist, the move existed, therefore he adapted pre-existing set ups to obtain a pre-existing move. If this doesn't make sense to you, that is a shame.

I went to a 2-day seminar of Eddies over in the UK. Eddie is a good grappler. His game is different. I've picked up alot of his half guard stuff and I like it. I use it when I can and am more aware of the half guard because of it. For all those who bash eddie - Look, he's admitted he's lost, and lost many a time. I'm sure he's aware of his limitations. But face facts, you don't get a black belt in BJJ unless you are good - You don't tap a grappling legend like Royler Gracie unless you are good.

Is he the best in the world in his weight class? No.. But who gives a shit? He's a good player, has some pros (good half guard game, dangerous and unpredictable submissions) and cons (not a great wrestler). Does he milk tapping Royler Gracie? Fuck yes! I'd do the exact same thing. He makes some money off of it as it's sold his name, but it's not like he got it for free. I'm sure he's like any other grappler who trained his ass off to become a great player. People like to hate on him because he's got an straight up personality.. Sometimes talks alot. Who cares?

Best player of all time? No.
Good grappler with a creative mind? Fuck yes.

John O'Brien said:
I went to a 2-day seminar of Eddies over in the UK. Eddie is a good grappler. His game is different. I've picked up alot of his half guard stuff and I like it. I use it when I can and am more aware of the half guard because of it. For all those who bash eddie - Look, he's admitted he's lost, and lost many a time. I'm sure he's aware of his limitations. But face facts, you don't get a black belt in BJJ unless you are good - You don't tap a grappling legend like Royler Gracie unless you are good.

Is he the best in the world in his weight class? No.. But who gives a shit? He's a good player, has some pros (good half guard game, dangerous and unpredictable submissions) and cons (not a great wrestler). Does he milk tapping Royler Gracie? Fuck yes! I'd do the exact same thing. He makes some money off of it as it's sold his name, but it's not like he got it for free. I'm sure he's like any other grappler who trained his ass off to become a great player. People like to hate on him because he's got an straight up personality.. Sometimes talks alot. Who cares?

Best player of all time? No.
Good grappler with a creative mind? Fuck yes.

Most of this i agree with.
He has a different style and some cool setups... But what black belt doesnt have some set ups of his own?

My biggest argument with the guy is his attitude. I like the sport because i like the respect and honor that goes along with it. Honestly look at oher guys younger than him acting more mature. Marcelo, Roger, Ronaldo.. They present them selfs well, they win, and they dont have to dog the traditions of the sport to make them self look good. They do it by training harder and fighting better.

I dont doubt he is good, but he isnt the best and shouldnt act like it.

b0b said:
Besides the fact that he beat Royler when he was a BROWN belt, do you think JJ Machado would award him a Black Belt without him being a legit BJJ practitioner? I don't think he is the greatest grappler ever, but he can hold his own, obviously.

He is a good marketing guy, and has pissed off some people with some bad words about the gi and gi players.

Even if you don't think his philosophy is something new, even if you don't think he is the best in his weight class, even if you think he is top 10 in America in his weight class, he is still a JJ Machado Black Belt! People saying he has no skills other than the half and rubber guard are just ignorant.

Im not saying the guy isnt worthy of a black belt.. Thats obvious man..

Im saying if your going to get third place, against guys who mostly play the gi... The last thing you should be saying is "The gi game is boring... Well i was going to say pathetic actualy"....

Gsoares2 said:
Im not saying the guy isnt worthy of a black belt.. Thats obvious man..

Im saying if your going to get third place, against guys who mostly play the gi... The last thing you should be saying is "The gi game is boring... Well i was going to say pathetic actualy"....

Valid complaints. To say he sucks or has no skill is just restarded.

I think the problem some people have with Eddie is that he hasn't done anything since tapping Royler which makes people think maybe it was a fluke.

b0b said:
Besides the fact that he beat Royler when he was a BROWN belt
This thing again! Does anybody on this board believe Eddie was a brown belt (theoretically speaking) when he fought Royler? This is just another marketing crap tool of his. You are a brown, you beat Royler and suddenly by stealing his JJ mojo you become a black. But wait, this must be true, cause he went back to being a brown belt when he fought Leo :D

tudor_bjj said:
This thing again! Does anybody on this board believe Eddie was a brown belt (theoretically speaking) when he fought Royler? This is just another marketing crap tool of his. You are a brown, you beat Royler and suddenly by stealing his JJ mojo you become a black. But wait, this must be true, cause he went back to being a brown belt when he fought Leo :D

I see what ur sayin man and ofcourse he didnt go from brown belt level to black w/ one match. But thats not what anybody is trying to say - eddie had just received his black belt which would suggest that he hadnt been black belt level for very long - unlike his opponents in adcc who have been BB's for years.

I think the logic here is that since they have been at a bb skill level for longer than eddie - that he shouldnt even be able to hang w/ them... but he did.

anyways im done w/ this ish. people here have their minds made up , as do I. so whatever..

all he does is high guard stuff, with good posture you can counter that take his back, im not inpressed by him at all. id like to see him go to brasil enter a gi tourny and see how he does, but he wont do that hell just talk about how he beat royler. which was by all accounts a fluke
9 out of 10 times royler wins that match.
ive seen guys try his stuff, ive seen 3- 4 counters that were SICK!!!!, one guy tried the "rubber guard" and ended up in a nasty ankle lock. so buy his book, and try some of his "new" stuff on the mat, then you can run home and use the pages to wipe your ass

Darth Shlong said:
all he does is high guard stuff, with good posture you can counter that take his back, im not inpressed by him at all. id like to see him go to brasil enter a gi tourny and see how he does, but he wont do that hell just talk about how he beat royler. which was by all accounts a fluke
9 out of 10 times royler wins that match.
ive seen guys try his stuff, ive seen 3- 4 counters that were SICK!!!!, one guy tried the "rubber guard" and ended up in a nasty ankle lock. so buy his book, and try some of his "new" stuff on the mat, then you can run home and use the pages to wipe your ass

What is your rank in BJJ e-warrior? Thought so..

Superbeast said:
If my clear explanation of why it's not an invention doesn't sink in, nothing will. If previous set ups hadn't existed and the moved hadn't existed and Eddie came up with both, then it'd be an invention. As is set ups did exist, the move existed, therefore he adapted pre-existing set ups to obtain a pre-existing move. If this doesn't make sense to you, that is a shame.
just to be clear, I'm arguing that the setup is the invention.

You're saying because *other* setups existed, and the move existed, that he didn't invent a new setup? That doesn't make sense.

If someone was previously using side control to get twisters, I concede the fact that eddie didn't invented the set up.

assuming he was the first person to start doing this (for arguement's sake, let's say that he was) then he invented a set up. using the definition that you provided of invent it says "To produce or contrive (something previously unknown) by the use of ingenuity or imagination". If his method of using side control, hooking the leg, rolling with the hand on the far leg, and applying the submission was previously unknown, then it's an invention.

I believe this to be clear cut in showing that it *is* an invention, not just an adaptation. What he did adapt was the method of side control. someone had to invent ways to slap the move on, eddie seems to have invented one of them.

I'm sorry that it's a shame that I don't understand your explanation, but I beleive mine to be sound.

Back