How good was Fedor really? Was he truly elite?

Overeem
DC
Barnett
Werdum
Mir
JDS
Cain

Fedor conveniently avoided some of the best fighters of his era. Medium fish in small pond.

I don't blame him for avoiding that version of Ubereem.

The UFC ducking argument is lame.

You're inflating the "difficulty" considering how Stipe never beat an all time great HW in their prime.

Stipes best wins come over HWs who were in their late 30s who either retired immediately after he fought them or they struggled to go .500 immediately after they fought him.

40 year old DC who retired immediately after

39 year old Werdum who went 4-5 in his next 9.

Green Ngannou who lost to Derrick Lewis in his very next fight. It not a surprise that once Ng improved and had more experience he melted Stipe like nothing.

37 year old Reem who had been knocked out 17 times.

38 year old AA who was well past his prime and never went on another title run again.

Post Cain losses CTE JDS who still beat Stipe the first time and then got creamed by Stipe in the rematch because he was badly washed up.

The "difficulty" of these fights is easy to inflate when you just read them from the paper without giving any context to when these fights happened and WHERE these guys were in their career at the time.

Big Nog beating Barnett, Mirko, Sergei and Werdum in their 20s at the peak of their athleticism is more "difficult" than beating guys in their late 30s with lots of mileage and KOs on their record.
You are Under inflating these. DC is HW champion and only ever lost to Jones and Stipe but he was horrible??? You are quoting Big Nog's resume when we are comparing Fedor and Stipe. Running in circles to make what you believe the TRUTH.

You are Under inflating these. DC is HW champion and only ever lost to Jones and Stipe but he was horrible??? You are quoting Big Nog's resume when we are comparing Fedor and Stipe. Running in circles to make what you believe the TRUTH.

I never said DC was horrible. I said he was 40 years old, coming off back surgery, looked like a fat blob and had only 2.5 rounds of cardio- its no coincidence he retired immediately after these fights. This isn't a peaking fighter.

I used Nog as an example because I think he too has a better legacy than Stipe based on these metrics.

Fedor beating Nog, Mirko and AA in their 20s is better than beating DC at 40 when he was clearly past his peak by every metric imaginable.

Mind you I like Stipe and consider him a top 5-7 HW of all time. There's no need to over inflate his wins though.

Last edited:
How good was Fedor?

I have a hard time genuinely believing that Fedor is truly elite and up there with goats such as

GSP
Anderson
MM
Jones
DC

Fedors record was too padded he fought in such a different weak era and when Fedor came up against semi modern MMA fighters he got beaten badly and could not hang

Some say that he could not hang because of his age. I do not believe this one bit. The real issue was he came up against modern MMA fighters. Isn't is such a coincidence he only started to lose once he faced true elite HWs and all of a sudden he was "out of his prime."

Anderson wrecked Hendo, Fedor a HW got wrecked by Hendo.

Werdum stopped Fedor

And I believe prime Fedor would lose to

Poatan
Anderson
Cain
DC
Aspinal
Gane
Nganu
Black Beast
Jones
Overseen

Fedor has such a padded record and had huge holes in his game

Fedor had poor Boxing, poor fight IQ, poor bottom game. Jones would take him down and elbow him to oblivion.

Fedor was a good fighter but should not be compared to the true elite.

Fedor's myth is more folk lore and myth. His best wins are Cro cop and Nog. Cro cop and nog are good but have glaring holes in their game.
Good enough that he went a Decade without being Beaten. In that time, he beat multiple Former UFC Champions. I think him beating A Prime Big Nog & Cro Cop like he did, speaks Volumes more than anything else, honestly.

He’s The HW GOAT, but whether you love him or hate him, Stipe is up in GOAT talks too. Stipe may have a great resume in terms of Names & Title Defenses, but Fedor beat some of the guys he fought, at their Best. Beating a Prime Nogueira and Prime Cro Cop goes further than beating a Zombie JDS and Old, Out of Shape DC.

Good enough that he went a Decade without being Beaten. In that time, he beat multiple Former UFC Champions. I think him beating A Prime Big Nog & Cro Cop like he did, speaks Volumes more than anything else, honestly.

He’s The HW GOAT, but whether you love him or hate him, Stipe is up in GOAT talks too. Stipe may have a great resume in terms of Names & Title Defenses, but Fedor beat some of the guys he fought, at their Best. Beating a Prime Nogueira and Prime Cro Cop goes further than beating a Zombie JDS and Old, Out of Shape DC.
If Nog and CC are your best wins that is saying a lot. These are bloated LHWs.

DC, Jones Stipe, Black beast would maul them

to me, you can't judge fighters of the past against those in the present. of course fighters are going to get better and stronger over time. you need to judge fighters against their peers at the time. and without a doubt, fedor was the best for almost ten years. i don't need to say anything else.

If Nog and CC are your best wins that is saying a lot. These are bloated LHWs.

DC, Jones Stipe, Black beast would maul them
Lol dude, Fedor vs Cro Cop is the biggest HW Fight of All Time. Tell me another one that blows it outta the water? I’ll wait.

Prime Cro Cop was one of the scariest men alive until he met Fedor. Same with Big Nog. Did you even watch The Early days in PRIDE?

And Black Beast beats Cro Cop or Prime Noguiera? Are you trippin or something? Like legit. It’s okay to have Opinions, but that’s just downright ABSURD in every way imaginable. Lewis folds in every big fight he’s ever been in, One Left Kick to the Liver or Left High Kick from Cro Cop would be all she wrote in a fight with Cro Cop vs Lewis.

Big Nog takes him down and Breaks his Arm.

The others— Jones has had 1 Fight at HW. DC vs Fedor is the one Dream Matchup at HW that all would love to see.

A fight is a Fight and anything can happen, but I got my “LMFAO” moment at you thinking Black Beast has ever been a Legit Top Contender at HW.

Last edited:
to me, you can't judge fighters of the past against those in the present. of course fighters are going to get better and stronger over time. you need to judge fighters against their peers at the time. and without a doubt, fedor was the best for almost ten years. i don't need to say anything else.
Sherbro…you make good points however, looking at HWs of today, they would get mopped up by the top dogs from PRIDE in their primes.

UFC HWs outside of Jones are embarrassing.

I don't need to separate Fedor from today's era of HWs. He was better than all of them.

He’s legit. He fought the best of his time for a long time. You can argue the guys in the past weren’t that good but they were the best for that era.

At his best Fedor wasn’t some destroyer. He often took risks and sometimes just got lucky in his fights. That was what makes him great.

People like to bring up his "inbetween" fights and will ignore the fact that he beat guys like Coleman, Noguiera, CroCop, and others. But whatever. People will say and think what they want but reality is what reality is whether you think he's the best or a can crusher our opinions don't change history and his wins or losses. Us putting labels on something doesn't change what it is. So again, whatever.

undefeated for a decade, beat a bunch of ufc champions, and tapped out multiple olympic medalists. man was the goat.

I never said DC was horrible. I said he was 40 years old, coming off back surgery, looked like a fat blob and had only 2.5 rounds of cardio- its no coincidence he retired immediately after these fights. This isn't a peaking fighter.

I used Nog as an example because I think he too has a better legacy than Stipe based on these metrics.

Fedor beating Nog, Mirko and AA in their 20s is better than beating DC at 40 when he was clearly past his peak by every metric imaginable.

Mind you I like Stipe and consider him a top 5-7 HW of all time. There's no need to over inflate his wins though.
You are being extremely dismissive where you want and over inflating the value of what suits your perspective. Stipe beat DC twice not just once. Stipe's run I mentioned you dismissed yet Fedor never had a string of CONSECUTIVE opponents and you never answered that fact. We seem to have very different perspectives and I feel we should just agree to disagree. I am not really that invested in the matter.

Back