How good was Dan Henderson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hendo doesn't get nearly enough respect. 20 year career and fought literally everybody. Did it all with no scandals, no drama, no ducking, and no bullshit. Best KO of all time (Bisping) and Best FIGHT of all time (Shogun). I'm actually getting angry now the more I'm thinking about how much we don't talk about just how good he was. Legend.
He’s so laid back too. Unfortunately the newer wave of fans don’t appreciate him quite as much.

Really impressive that dan competed at the highest level well into his 40's. Most men start to decline a noticeable amount around at 34 or 35 and continue to do so until 40 where then there is a drastic drop off. So we really never got to see Dan in the UFC while in his true prime. I honestly have not watched too many of his pride fights but his record then speaks for itself.

images.jpg

Peaked in his fight with rampage. Used to be known as decision Dan back in the day but he was always highly respected.

His 2nd half of his career was just him just trying to catch people with his h bomb.Looked terrible in his fight with DC and bisping 2. Kinda glad he never fought prime Jon Jones.

Later in his career I know he had knee injuries and people speculated neck and back problems too that's why he opted to wrestle for throwing down

You gotta remember he was already pretty worn out by the time he joined the UFC and in his strike force/return to the UFC phase Henderson was old

Good wrestler, iron chin, decent cardio and power in his hands, he would have given a lot of people problems in any era in his prime
You thought he looked bad against BIsping in the second fight? I actually scored it a draw. Henderson did great all things considered and Bisping was near death in the first round.

He was Deceision Dan until HGH/TRT/Whatever else.

Last edited:
Hendo is a legend. Dude fought anybody at any weight.

He was ridiculously good but too many losses against other top guys. Always a win some lose some fighter. So in terms of all time ranking? I wouldn't put him in top 10, but definitely top 20. Legend ranking? I would have to sit down and really think on that but he is high by virtue of his Pride, Fedor, and Shogun fights alone.

Wasn’t he on TrT ? Is he getting a pass?

Don't they all get passes from that era? Is there more than a handful of guys who weren't on PEDs from Dan's prime years? Would you bet every dime you have or ever will have on any fighter from that era not being on some form of PED? I wouldn't. Product of the times. I wish it wasn't so but it is just a part of MMA history.

A real BMF unlike that fake motherfucker MasDIVAl

Dan Henderson was very small light heavyweight and somehow he ko:d Wanderlei and tko:d Fedor.

Also has noteable wins over Bisping, Vitor, Shogun, Nakamura, Kondo.

It's to bad he lost against Misaki in a rematch back in 2006 because I am pretty sure he would have finished Paolo Filho or Dennis Kang.

At the ago of 46 he fought his last fight in a title fight in Ufc.. One of the most humble fighter in Ufc history, not so much a thrashtalker, could deliver great ko for being a wrestler. He did not got that legacy like Randy Couture.

So., how good was he?
Not as good as his record would make you think, lots of gift decisions and TRT help
He was actually allowed to use TRT against shogun while it had already been forbidden for other fighters, go figure

Don't they all get passes from that era? Is there more than a handful of guys who weren't on PEDs from Dan's prime years? Would you bet every dime you have or ever will have on any fighter from that era not being on some form of PED? I wouldn't. Product of the times. I wish it wasn't so but it is just a part of MMA history.
He was (the only) allowed to keep taking it after it was made forbiden

P4P the hardest hitting dude, OG champ champ, arguably won the MW title at 45 years old. Definitely top 10 of all time. However, not really likeable imo.
He didn’t hit that hard the first half of his career, he went from decision Dan to h bomb after taking that magic trt

He didn’t hit that hard the first half of his career, he went from decision Dan to h bomb after taking that magic trt

So he didn't take TRT in Pride (or any other steroids), but he did later?
Interesting.

I assume Jan went from a no KO guy to a KTFO guy because... insert here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back