How good was Dan Henderson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Henderson was very small light heavyweight and somehow he ko:d Wanderlei and tko:d Fedor.

Also has noteable wins over Bisping, Vitor, Shogun, Nakamura, Kondo.

It's to bad he lost against Misaki in a rematch back in 2006 because I am pretty sure he would have finished Paolo Filho or Dennis Kang.

At the ago of 46 he fought his last fight in a title fight in Ufc.. One of the most humble fighter in Ufc history, not so much a thrashtalker, could deliver great ko for being a wrestler. He did not got that legacy like Randy Couture.

So., how good was he?

p4p legend in the sport.

Middleweight who made his career fighting LHWs and HWs... and beating them! He has wins over Nog and Fedor at HW ffs.

Two Pride belts at one time. The only thing missing from his resume is that UFC MW championship. He had the misfortune of fighting peak Anderson Silva and then Bisping when he was mid 40s, so it was a hard ask.

Dan Henderson was very small light heavyweight and somehow he ko:d Wanderlei and tko:d Fedor.

Also has noteable wins over Bisping, Vitor, Shogun, Nakamura, Kondo.

It's to bad he lost against Misaki in a rematch back in 2006 because I am pretty sure he would have finished Paolo Filho or Dennis Kang.

At the ago of 46 he fought his last fight in a title fight in Ufc.. One of the most humble fighter in Ufc history, not so much a thrashtalker, could deliver great ko for being a wrestler. He did not got that legacy like Randy Couture.

So., how good was he?

@Yrat uh oh! Kimura Did It, Kimura Did It.

did someone say good wrestler?
he was on the damn olympic team. he's elite as they come.
as far as his standup, it was basically a big right hand and left hook. but mma back in the day was nothing nearly as sophisticated as it is now.
you could be successful with 1 punch power.

henderson was old school. a bit stiff, no kicks, no footwork, no head movement. i just cant see his style translate in the modern era.

He was good, just didn't have a whole lot of depth. He did the things he was good at, and that was it. Tough, durable, but pretty undersized.

Him KOing Fedor while barely making the HW minimum limit for weight is all you need to know about him.

Would have liked to see them fight.
I think Hendo wins tho. Chuck was a better overall striker but Hendo had a little more power and a granite chin. Would have been an epic fight tho how e er long it lasted

I think Hendo wins tho. Chuck was a better overall striker but Hendo had a little more power and a granite chin. Would have been an epic fight tho how e er long it lasted
Sure

I just wanted to see it. It was a match i always hoped happened back in the day. Violence guaranteed.

He was (the only) allowed to keep taking it after it was made forbiden

Irrelevant (and he had to quit like everyone else, I think he was the recipient of last granted TUE). Almost everyone was on something from that era, most simply hid it. Dan didn't.

Not that good. His career magically took off first fight on TRT. Then he got KTFO when TRT got banned. Same with Chael and Vitor. So real question here is: how good was TRT when abused?
You're only allowed to talk about PED's with guys like Jon Jones. With people like GSP and Dan Henderson (popular fighters) you aren't allowed to talk about the obvious.

You're only allowed to talk about PED's with guys like Jon Jones. With people like GSP and Dan Henderson (popular fighters) you aren't allowed to talk about the obvious.

Everyone knows Dan was on TRT but as has been pointed out almost everyone from that era was on something. I wish everyone in the pride -> strikeforce era was clean but they weren't. They were almost all heinously unclean.

So pointing out the fact that Dan is on PED is worthless. Dan was honest about it, the rest weren't. Doesn't make it good.

Dan also never got in trouble outside the cage like Jon which is in reality why Jon takes so much heat but you want to somehow compare Dan to Jon, that is an incredibly stupid comparison. As for me, I think Jon is the greatest MMA fighter of all time and I can't stand him.

Wasn't he two dimensional? Wrestler that could strike with power?

I think some newer, and a few older, fans only remember his brutal loss to a bigger better DC, couple that with the fact his wrestling largely consisted of TDD, in his later years, while he loaded up that right hand.

Last edited:
One of the OG double weight champs…
Hendo3belts.jpg

The Hendo bomb would take out anyone except maybe some heavyweights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back