How good is Tito's record and resume really?

I mean, the guy is basically a heavyweight who fought smaller guys at lhw and even middleweight. You can see how huge he is next to Fedor. He was an expert weight cutter which is his success. Doubt he would have been a top 10 guy fighting his actual weight class.

So beat up smaller guys except still got spanked by 5"9 Frank Shamrock and 40 yr old Couture.
Then loved to beat up the shell of Ken but still apparently refused to fight him at hw even well past his prime.
Tapped against Chael but pulled a fast one.
Then beat up geriatric Chuck in his usual pattern.
Also got son'ed by Mitrione in a real life argument, the guy is his size and age afterall - something he never faced before.

Also there is no way in any reality that any version of Tito beats this dude in his prime at open weight.
View attachment 561631
View attachment 561633

So really, how good is Titos record and resume?

This ain't a really fresh take this has been the consensus and why Tito was so underrated. Call a man overrated enough and they become underrated. Him fighting Chuck was a disgrace that he should have been above but dude proved in his 40's he wasn't the joke people thought he was. Between 2007 and 2012 Tito won only one fight but if you watch he wasn't that bad. He was one lucky submission away from an opportunity to be sacrificed to Jon Jones in 2012 and he almost pulled it off.

Beating mainly guys in a lower weight class and/or seniors division

With his spine issues its remarkable the longevity he's had.

Even in his losses to top guys he gave them all they could handle, you should rewatch his fights with Machida, Forrest and Rashad 1. Even slightly past his prime he was a tough fight for anyone.

UFC standups do happen prematurely but it's not one ref directing the action for a particular fighter. UFC ruleset doesn't affect standups as much.
Suppose say you are winning the fights by takedowns and the last round you got stood up and knocked down the last minute of the fight. Most likely you aren't in trouble of losing the fight but in Pride, it becomes an issue since you didn't finish strong.
I am trying to think of a UFC fight where the standup by the ref(not medical stoppage) actually affected the outcome of the fight. I am sure there are but it's towards the end of the day and I am tired.

That's not about stand ups, that's about judging a fight as a whole vs round by round. Pride didn't/doesn't score top control nearly as much as the UFC did/does either so you couldn't lay and pray to victory nearly as much.

I would have to look more into UFC stand ups that looked like they changed the outcome of fights but I know I've seen some. Arlovski vs Nelson had a really bad one, it wasn't in the UFC but it was in North America so the refs wouldn't be any different since they are appointed by commissions, not promotions.

Last edited:
Prime Tito was legit. I'm kind of surprised to see a 2002 account posting this. From like 97 to 2007 Tito lost to Randy, Chuck, Frank, and Mezger. It's not like he lost to cans.

In the same stretch he avenged the Mezger loss, beat Wandy, Tanner, and Ken 3x. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other good wins. That KO slam of Tanner is all-time UFC highlight finish material.

I mean, the guy is basically a heavyweight who fought smaller guys at lhw and even middleweight. You can see how huge he is next to Fedor. He was an expert weight cutter which is his success. Doubt he would have been a top 10 guy fighting his actual weight class.

So beat up smaller guys except still got spanked by 5"9 Frank Shamrock and 40 yr old Couture.
Then loved to beat up the shell of Ken but still apparently refused to fight him at hw even well past his prime.
Also got son'ed by Mitrione in a real life argument, the guy is his size and age afterall - something he never faced before.

Also there is no way in any reality that any version of Tito beats this dude in his prime at open weight.
View attachment 561631
View attachment 561633

He is shit. Big mouth

Prime Tito was legit. I'm kind of surprised to see a 2002 account posting this. From like 97 to 2007 Tito lost to Randy, Chuck, Frank, and Mezger. It's not like he lost to cans.

In the same stretch he avenged the Mezger loss, beat Wandy, Tanner, and Ken 3x. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other good wins. That KO slam of Tanner is all-time UFC highlight finish material.
Tanner was a middleweight. Shamrock was old

View attachment 561631
View attachment 561633

Don’t make threads about Tito Ortiz.

Sincerely,

Everyone

Dont forget about his big win over the king of rock and rumble.

cfDkGN3.jpg
Fucking lol at this list

<36>

That's not about stand ups, that's about judging a fight as a whole vs round by round. Pride didn't/doesn't score top control nearly as much as the UFC did/does either so you couldn't lay and pray to victory nearly as much.

I would have to look more into UFC stand ups that looked like they changed the outcome of fights but I know I've seen some. Arlovski vs Nelson had a really bad one, it wasn't in the UFC but it was in North America so the refs wouldn't be any different since they are appointed by commissions, not promotions.
Sudo vs Ludwig.

Randy vs Hizzo (Randy was on top but gassin´ when he got stood up and checked by the Doc., thus got time to recover)

Last edited:
UFC 40 vendetta was the original forrest vs stephan bonnar

That fight got alot of people to notice the UFC and alot of japanese MMA and pride fans to take a closer look at american MMA and the UFC

He was a pinoeer and a legend..lost to nothing but top guys and has never been completely koed in 20 years of fighting..thats pretty crazy considering hes fighting at 205lbs
He's a pioneer of the sport and his resume is great without question. He fought and beat most of the top guys in his generation. Would those guys be at the top of the current generation? Probably not, but you can't make that comparison. The sport has evolved a lot, so it's not fair to compare guys that fought 10-15 years ago to current fighters.

'Big Head' can hardly be considered a pioneer, realistically...

With his spine issues its remarkable the longevity he's had.

Even in his losses to top guys he gave them all they could handle, you should rewatch his fights with Machida, Forrest and Rashad 1. Even slightly past his prime he was a tough fight for anyone.

I feel like the only really bad loss Tito had in his later UFC run was the Lil nog fight. He didn’t even put up a fight in that one and was weirdly TKO’d with body shots on his back.

That Bader knockdown and submission was and still is awesome, especially considering how counted out Tito was. That whole PPV was dope, I think Leben murdered killed Wandy in 30 seconds on the same card.

He was beating Frank 3 rds to 0 until he gassed and would have won a rematch , that's the main reason Frank quit/retired not because lack of competition in UFC when he just barely won against tito . Bottom line Frank ran from the rematch and Tito won the title .

Tito would submit mitrione give me a break that guy is a joke and he didn't get owned , Matt was being super disrespectful basically calling his girl a whore , whether she was or not doesn't matter you don't say that shit . Matt would go on a week later to say sorry ya totally owned

Yes he was a great weight cutter so was Chuck , so was Randy, so was roided Belfort and a bunch of other guys what's your point ?

Geriatric Chuck literally called Tito out because in chucks own words " it's an easy fight and if I can't beat this bum I don't belong in this sport " guess he was wrong there and no longer belonged like we all knew .

No Version of Ken beats Tito you should know that by watching those fights , Tito had better striking grappling and was stronger and not to mention Ken can't even make hw without copious amounts of steroids to weigh just 235 , he weighed 203 in first Tito fight ... Ken is small and a mental midget Tito beats any version of Ken sorry bud .

Tapped against chael ... really ? If this wasn't a 2002 account I would say it was a dumb kid or a troll ... maybe your kid got on your account lol ? Look you don't like Tito we get it .. he didn't tap against chael he beat chael fair n square and odds are beats him again if they fight, chael always loses against bigger stronger wrestlers ala jones, shad, Tito ECT.

What about the comeback Belfort win or him beating wand for the vacant UFC title right before he went to pride and went on a 20 fight win streak ... but Tito wasn't any good huh, Tito floored wand in that fight as well .

Again shame on you for being a fan this long and making a troll/hate thread on a legend when you knew things like Chuck the idiot called for the fight not Tito but he won so he gets shit for it because he was supposed to be cannon fodder for the fossil Chuck .

Lol at the holier than thou brigade coming out for Tito. When you finish sunday school and choir practice then we can talk.

Never in the OP have I questioned the legacy of Tito in being the face of the sport in late 90's. And this is from a guy who was actually following the sport when he was considered the top guy.

It doesnt change the fact that he has a questionable record for someone considered the top lhw for a time.

- he was significantly larger than most of his opponents throughout his career, the sure sign of a bully who relied on size. Even when Ken was old and broken down he still refused to fight him at hw for the 2nd and 3rd fight even tho Ken just fought at hw 217 to beat Kimo.
Tito feared a healthy HW Ken even then.

-Most of his big wins against guys who were smaller and would fight at 185 like Wand and Belfort, yet both these smaller guys also fought at HW which Tito never did.

- he accepted the 3rd fight with CTE Chuck. Thats bad enough, but when I really knew Tito was the ##### I always felt he was was when he actually encouraged Chuck to keep fighting after the fight and get more CTE. Sorry I dont care who you are, only a true scum would pull that move.

- He tapped against Chael in his 'retirement' fight. Clear as day and Chael also said he heard the tap verbally, then he continued fighting. Cheap move and in character.

- I take it he never got fully KOd. But thats because he usually folded and went down whenever he got hit so never really stood in enough exchanges to get KTFO because he had already mentally broken and gone down before that like against Chuck 1 and 2.

- Seeing him get put in his place by a guy like Mitrione was deserved. Yes Mitrione is a douche also but seeing Tito shake, sorry I got no sympathy when a bully got served by someone his own size.

So yes respect the contribution of Tito.
Respect him as a human being and his actual fight record, not so much.

Lol at the holier than thou brigade coming out for Tito. When you finish sunday school and choir practice then we can talk.

Never in the OP have I questioned the legacy of Tito in being the face of the sport in late 90's. And this is from a guy who was actually following the sport when he was considered the top guy.

It doesnt change the fact that he has a questionable record for someone considered the top lhw for a time.

- he was significantly larger than most of his opponents throughout his career, the sure sign of a bully who relied on size. Even when Ken was old and broken down he still refused to fight him at hw for the 2nd and 3rd fight even tho Ken just fought at hw 217 to beat Kimo.
Tito feared a healthy HW Ken even then.

-Most of his big wins against guys who were smaller and would fight at 185 like Wand and Belfort, yet both these smaller guys also fought at HW which Tito never did.

- he accepted the 3rd fight with CTE Chuck. Thats bad enough, but when I really knew Tito was the ##### I always felt he was was when he actually encouraged Chuck to keep fighting after the fight and get more CTE. Sorry I dont care who you are, only a true scum would pull that move.

- He tapped against Chael in his 'retirement' fight. Clear as day and Chael also said he heard the tap verbally, then he continued fighting. Cheap move and in character.

- I take it he never got fully KOd. But thats because he usually folded and went down whenever he got hit so never really stood in enough exchanges to get KTFO because he had already mentally broken and gone down before that like against Chuck 1 and 2.

- Seeing him get put in his place by a guy like Mitrione was deserved. Yes Mitrione is a douche also but seeing Tito shake, sorry I got no sympathy when a bully got served by someone his own size.

So yes respect the contribution of Tito.
Respect him as a human being and his actual fight record, not so much.

I bet I'm as old as you , Tito got me into this sport wit his feud with lions den , and since the Frank shamrock fight ive been a fan so since 1999 .

Shame on you for being so disrespectful to me because of a join date .... I'm married with kids and can give you a breakdown of that title from its inception, so for being as old as you .. show some humility and think hmmm maybe this guy may have been watching longer then a week .

Wand ,belfort,chael ECT all popped wait for it steroids... They all fought at hw , now I'm not gonna be all naive and pretend Tito didn't dabble in the sauce but these guys have legit been caught some multiple times .

Once they are on they go up in weight once they are off they look like 2015 Belfort . Basically you are using straw man argument, he was taller and naturally see that word ? "Naturally bigger than all those guys , not using copious amounts like Belfort , sonnen and wand. The latter which he dropped and dominated .

You honestly think a 217 lb Ken in 2005 is beating a 220 lb Tito at Hw and you watched those fights ? Really if you think that , it says we all we need to know about you and your thoughts on Tito .
He didn't want it at Hw because he was on a 3 fight win streak at LHW and was closing in on a title shot , I thought you watched this sport bud ?

"Cote " late replacement for the trilogy fight between guy mezger but guy had a stroke like a week out and retired , belfort , and Forrest . So that's why he said no to Hw not because he was scared , you sir are making up your own revisionist history .

I'm gonna paraphrase Chuck he called out Tito not the other way around . " If I can't beat this guy I don't belong in this sport " that was to a question why Tito as his first fight back ... so it was Chuck acting cocky and like Tito was his bitch and it made him look like an asshole , best part was his speech the next day you know his wife typed up ... no matter how old you are blah blah .. but we all know he thought he was gonna put Tito out cold , you included by your posts, at least that's what you hoped for huh ?

I can tell you were a Chuck guy back in the day .. And I was a Tito guy back than and we would clash , but I respect your opinion . He did have a size advantage over Evan Tanner, yuki kondo , but that's not his fault bitch about the match making . You bring up guys like wand as a mw but he was a lhw legend on a 20 fight win streak right after Tito beat him ... And wasn't a mw until 2010 literally a decade later after being ko' d by a hw and a few lhw so don't act like wand was a mw , his legacy is at LHW .

Either way Tito ends his career on a better run then Chuck 4-1 with about the same record and is the last guy to ko him , who the fuck would have thought that in 2006 lol .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back