How good is Tito's record and resume really?

Sure Bro...
giphy.gif
Tyson would approve but Khabib would condemn this post...

homershoulders.jpg

Wins over

Mezger
Wandy
Tanner
Ken
Matyushenko
Belfort
Griifin
Bader
Sonnen

not bad at all.
His resume is very good. His record is pretty average as a result of staying on too long, but before his decline it was good.

He has like 2 high level wins in his whole career, maybe 3.

Mezger, Belfort, Bader... not much else.

Tito is not one of the greatest anymore.

However, aside from the obvious players on the business end. Tito is pretty much responsible for you watching this sport on cable television.

The Bad Boy, but just good enough that normal people are willing to give it a watch, and also he, along with a few others pretty much set the blueprint for success in the cage.

He may not have been Wayne Gretzky or Jordan, but he was a pretty good standard bearer in retrospect.

Also, he was on the cover of MMA Video games WAY WAAAY before that shit was mainstream.

220px-UFC_-_Tapout_Coverart.png
256px-Ultimate_Fighting_Championship_PS_cover.jpg
182432-ufc-throwdown-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

If anything Tito Ortiz's record is underrated. A lot of guys get crushed badly and often after they start declining.

He has like 2 high level wins in his whole career, maybe 3.

Mezger, Belfort, Bader... not much else.
Forrest Griffin, Wand, & Shlemenko is a decent win for the age Tito was when he beat him. Plus I thought he may have beat Rashad in their first fight.

loved to beat up the shell of Ken but still apparently refused to fight him at hw even well past his prime
Why though? Ken has said that later in his career, he had to cheat to hit the HW line. I think I once read he hid weights in his shorts (à la Sakuraba) to be able to hit the 205+

He's an ATG at trash talking. If he was in his prime he'd be a top ten light heavyweight contender.

At his peak, was probably the second best lhw in, what was at the time, the B League.

Excellent. He is not a HW.

Everybody who weighs in at 205 is a LHW

His resume is very good. His record is pretty average as a result of staying on too long, but before his decline it was good.

Hmm. I dunno. His record before the decline (which I take as somewhere around 2006) was very Cain Velasquez-like; not bad but in the overall scheme of things did not include all that many fights. I would say his peak was before he fought Ken Shameful.

Last edited:
Chuck is the goat lhw and he has a ktfo win against a prime Chuck. Tito is no slouch.

It's easy to go back and pick apart the careers of many of the earlier fighters. But Tito during that time was a damn good show. He something special that was needed at the time. As for fighting at their actual weight class that's a whole other story that you can talk about with a lot of fighters over the years. Many of the guys we see today who have trouble making their weight should be in higher weight classes. That wasn't a problem for Tito. He chose the path where he could achieve success and I can't fault him for that. His resume is damn solid and his contributions to this thing should go unquestioned.

Back