How good is Jose Aldo's ground game?

Can Jose Aldo beat Brian Ortega and Thiago Tavares in a pure BJJ match?

• Total voters
So are you actually saying Jose can outgrapple Brian Ortega and Thiago Tavares in pure BJJ match?
Yes. I am. MMA is not BJJ. Aldo prefers to stand and strike even though BJJ is his base. There are much better jitz guys in the UFC than Ortega and Tavares by the way.

He passes guard like a motherfucker. He's not much of a submission artist, but his positional game from the top is very strong. He mounted Kenflo who is a legit grappler in like, 5 seconds. Don't think his guard has ever been passed in the UFC either though I could be wrong.

legit.

20151212101855_GettyImages501167544.JPG

sorry. some other spaz was going to do it.

He's among the best in the UFC.
He actually started with BJJ before striking.

He got the best of every fighter on the ground since his WEC years.
He's also good avoiding damage from the bottom, kinda like Anderson Silva.

But he's no Demian/Jacaré though

So you would really choose Jose Aldo over Brian Ortega and Thiago Tavares in a BJJ match?

Lol apologies. It's hard to judge context and sarcasm through the medium that is the internet.
I gotcha. I just put together the reasoning in the OP to show how outlandish the line of thinking is there. Basically, if you like to bang, you couldn't possible have offensive grappling skills and therefore Jose couldn't beat "real grapplers" in pure grappling. These forums, man.

pretty good. he doesn't go for submissions or anything, but watching him cut through guards like they're nothing is always incredible. I think he has mounted everyone he's taken down in the UFC.

I gotcha. I just put together the reasoning in the OP to show how outlandish the line of thinking is there. Basically, if you like to bang, you couldn't possible have offensive grappling skills and therefore Jose couldn't beat "real grapplers" in pure grappling. These forums, man.
Dan Henderson is an Olympic wrestler who likes to stand and bang. Aldo is a BJJ black belt who prefers to stay standing and strike. There are countless other examples in MMA of fighters fighting outside their base.

Back