How good is Jose Aldo's ground game?

Can Jose Aldo beat Brian Ortega and Thiago Tavares in a pure BJJ match?

• Total voters
Great examples
Renan taking Pickett's back is one of my favorite MMA-BJJ moments. You're a BJJ guy so I know you'll appreciate it lol

0.gif

Renan taking Pickett's back is one of my favorite MMA-BJJ moments. You're a BJJ guy so I know you'll appreciate it lol

0.gif
Lol I definitely do. Was sick. I remember Rogan losing his shit when that happened.

I swear every once in a blue moon someone makes a thread on here asking about Aldo's ground game. Might as well go challenge the man in a gi himself.

Looks like the majority of posters in this thread are typical in their noob-mess. Aldo has displayed great offensive and defensive BJJ in countless fights.

Unfortunately the Heavies is filled with guys who can't remember shit, or form opinions without any merit.

Do you guys remember Aldo mounting Faber three times in their fight and getting him in a crucifix for over a minute flat and pounding his face in? How about rocking MTB, pouncing on his back, flattening him out in seconds and getting a TKO win? Do you guys recall when he reversed and swept Florian's takedowns into full mount in their bout? How about when he mounted Mendes for even a few seconds off of a reversal in their second bout? He also mounted and took Lamas' back in the third round of their fight and nearly had a RNC.

There are even more instances but people just tend to remember the Hominick fight when he was on his back, gassed and terribly sick, or when he tripped on a TD against Lamas and just rode out the fifth round.

In other words, the Heavies still fucking sucks.

Spoken like a man who actually watches fights and doesn't have a shitty memory.

Last edited:
Aldo started as a BJJ guy, i believe he won a few championships when he was young. His ground game is no joke, but i dont think its a big focus recently. Interesting to note, during a media scrum he said he was training BJJ and grappling alot in prep for the conor fight, but of course didn't get a chance to use it. My guess is we'll see some grappling from him in the rematch, especially early, just to get conor thinking about the TD.

he will look great on the ground after another 1st round ko via conor.

Well he manhandled Mike Brown who was strong as FUCK, and KZ who is hella crafty and always game.

Those are the only 2 times i can remember him agreeing to have a ground fight and winning.

Florian tried a grappling heavy approach and ended up getting smothered the whole fight.

I am sure Choi was indeed much more impressive than Conor when it came to fighting wrestler/grappler. Here is Conor begging for a standup.

kX7OGVi.png
C3OXRvg.gif

E9kFV3t.gif
ZWCkt1i.gif

Just wait for it.
Choi won't just rock him like Nate did.
He will KO Conor.
or yknow, conor fighting the (at the time) # 2 FW/best wrestler in the division and fighting a top 5-10 LW.

and choi knocking out fuckin tavares.

give up this little schtick of trying to talk up tavares lmao, it's embarrassing. yeah choi seems good, but let him actually fight a top 10 first instead of being straight up delusional with those ridiculous claims.

Last edited:
No one knows because nobody can get him there.

He threw Frankie around like a bitch.

or yknow, conor fighting the (at the time) # 2 FW/best wrestler in the division and fighting a top 5-10 LW.

and choi knocking out fuckin tavares.

give up this little schtick of trying to talk up tavares lmao, it's embarrassing. yeah choi seems good, but let him actually fight a top 10 first instead of being straight up delusional with those ridiculous claims.

You need to wake up just like every other delusional Conor fan did on March 5th.
zNsjb3v.png

If Conor fought Thiago instead of Diego Brandao, his career would have been over right then and there.

kX7OGVi.png

As you can see here, Conor is begging for a standup when Chad was beating the crap out of him on the ground.
Chad was his 6th fight in UFC, and still, have no ground game?
Conor McGregor is the definition of a hype job.
Who begs for a standup as a professional fighter?

Last edited:
Questioning Aldo's grappling legitimacy is like downplaying Cobrinha's achievements. The only other grapplers who has beaten Cobrinha more than once are Tanquinho and Rafa.

You need to wake up just like every other delusional Conor fan did on March 5th.
zNsjb3v.png

If Conor fought Thiago instead of Diego Brandao, his career would have been over right then and there.

kX7OGVi.png

As you can see here, Conor is begging for a standup when Chad was beating the crap out of him on the ground.
Chad was his 6th fight in UFC, and still, have no ground game?
Conor McGregor is the definition of a hype job.
Who begs for a standup as a professional fighter?
christ you're delusional.

I love how every thread turns into a Conor hate thread.

Conor must have really upset a lot of people when he KO'd Aldo and made it rain.

as far as i know, brian ortega is just your run of the mill black belt. i think aldo and a lot of other bb around that weight dominate him on the ground in a bjj match or a mma match. especially when hes off the juice

Back