How freaking AWESOME was UFC 17?

The Coleman head kick was nuts. At that time KOs from head kicks were like the jumping-off-the-cage Pettis stuff - people thought they were right out of movies etc.

I remember when I thought Elvis Sinosic was the next great fighter - yet undiscovered but by me at Caged Combat 1 in Australia. Even after losing via chin to the eye lol to Chris Haseman which I thought was a cheap move (1997). I found out later it was his second win in a row by said technique.

I also remember when I thought the IFC was going to be a threat to the UFC. Same with Extreme Challenge.

If i had started with UFC 3, i probably wouldn't have watched UFC 4.

How so? I remember watching it live on my dad's illegal black box with my friends and cousins.

My dad and uncle join in and they were like WTF?

We were all hooked though. It was extreme guilty pleasure. Talk about male bonding there.

The Coleman head kick was nuts. At that time KOs from head kicks were like the jumping-off-the-cage Pettis stuff - people thought they were right out of movies etc.

Lol, were so short on anything "highlight" reel worthy at the time. I remember thinking Frank Shamrock putting Zonoviev on his head was the greatest move in history at the time. In fairness it probably was lol.

Yeah same here, thanks for reminding me. All i remembered about that event was Steve Jennum winning the tournament with one fight, over a guy who "defeated" Royce Gracie. I'd have to retract that statement!

Who cares man? Lol. At the time it was more about seeing men beat the shit out of each other with bare knuckles while hardly no rules at all.

All the other extra stuff didn't mean anything. It was all about being a "JUST BLEED" fan at the time. Anyone that says otherwise is either a liar or 95 years old.

But Jennum winning the tournament was funny though you have to admit.

Who cares man? At the time it was more aboyt seeing men beazt each other up with bare knuckles and hardly no rules.
'
Al the other extra stuff didn't mean. It was all about being "JUST BLEED" fans at the time. Anyone that says others is either a liar or 95 years old.

ur right bro. You totally owned me...PWNED!

I still want to trane at ur gym bro.

ur right bro. You totally owned me...PWNED!

I still want to trane at ur gym bro.

I'm just messing with you bro. Didn't meant to sound like a douche.

Just saying. At the time how can you not want to continue to watch more regulated street fights between martial artists just because of a flaw in a tournament?

Newton vs. Gilstrap: Always fun to see Carlos land a sub
Newton vs. Hendo: What a great fight!! Back and forth, awesome sub attempts by Carlos
Chuck vs. Noe: My GOD can Noe take a punch!
Tank vs. Hugo Duarte: Does anyone remember the hype Hugo had? Lol, Tank stole his soul
Pete Williams vs. Mark Coleman: The KICK HEARD AROUND THE WORLD!
Frank Shamrock vs. Jeremy Horn: Everything great about MMA. Awesome, technical back and forth fight. Horn got the better of Frank for much of it, but Frank pulls out the kneebar.

No mention of Henderson/Goes throwing down?!?! Goes had tremendous wars with the likes of Henderson, Sakuraba, and Frank Shamrock back in the day, but he's been all-but-forgotten, and it's a real shame. Was a part of some classic matches.

And while I love the Coleman/Williams fight and respect it for its iconic finish, there's a part of me that wishes so bad that Randy hadn't been fighting with the UFC at the time and been there to put his belt on the line against Coleman. Randy/Coleman in '98 :eek:

Love the old UFCs. I can't express how I feel not just watching my favorite sport, but watching it come into being and evolve right before my eyes. The rapid evolution of the martial arts from 1993 to today is so fucking exhilarating!

2ia4lea.jpg

If i had started with UFC 3, i probably wouldn't have watched UFC 4.
If someone watched UFC 4 Live on PPV, they probably wouldn't watch the next one.

What's wrong with you people? UFC 3 was the best event of the Gracie era and UFC 4 introduced the world to The Beast, featured a severely underrated clash between Gracie and Keith Hackney, and also debuted my personal favorite UFC commentating team, Bruce Beck and Jeff Blatnick, who would do the broadcast honors until UFC 15.

Lol, were so short on anything "highlight" reel worthy at the time. I remember thinking Frank Shamrock putting Zonoviev on his head was the greatest move in history at the time. In fairness it probably was lol.

How about Maurice Smith knocking that Brazilian dude out with a head kick? I know it wasn't UFC. It was "Extreme Challenge". I was in shocked being that I was so used to seeing strikers getting submitted by BJJ dudes.

And to see an actual KO from a head kick was amazing.

Back