How freaking AWESOME was UFC 17?

I remember when I thought Elvis Sinosic was the next great fighter - yet undiscovered but by me at Caged Combat 1 in Australia. Even after losing via chin to the eye lol to Chris Haseman which I thought was a cheap move (1997). I found out later it was his second win in a row by said technique.

I also remember when I thought the IFC was going to be a threat to the UFC. Same with Extreme Challenge.

Who was the karate ring in/late replacement, he took a horrible beating from some Maori kickboxer had his jaw badly broken yet still 1 his fighgt.

Also chin in eye is my fav dog move to do to drunken mates

What's wrong with you people? UFC 3 was the best event of the Gracie era and UFC 4 introduced the world to The Beast, featured a severely underrated clash between Gracie and Keith Hackney, and also debuted my personal favorite UFC commentating team, Bruce Beck and Jeff Blatnick, who would do the broadcast honors until UFC 15.

Blatnick really was a blessing to MMA at such an early stage in its developement.

Seent it. I remember Tank draping the Brazilian flag across the ring after he beat the piss out of Duarte. It was warranted though, because as far as remember, Duarte said something to the effect that he was going to F Tank in the A. I also vividly remember Mark Coleman turning a crazy shade of purple during the Pete Williams fight. People who didnt watch early MMA don't know what they missed.

I'm just messing with you bro. Didn't meant to sound like a douche.

Just saying. At the time how can you not want to continue to watch more regulated street fights between martial artists just because of a flaw in a tournament?

No worries. My point was that i had completely forgotten everything else that happened that UFC 3 besides Steve Jennum. The rest of the event was actually good.

I re-watched all the early UFC events back in 2007 (i think...i know i posted a thread about it back then), so the first 23 or so all kind of mesh together in my head. I do remember a lot of 30 minute draws/decisions that i regret sitting through, but i think those started around UFC 6 or 7.

No worries. My point was that i had completely forgotten everything else that happened that UFC 3 besides Steve Jennum. The rest of the event was actually good.

I re-watched all the early UFC events back in 2007 (i think...i know i posted a thread about it back then), so the first 23 or so all kind of mesh together in my head. I do remember a lot of 30 minute draws/decisions that i regret sitting through, but i think those started around UFC 6 or 7.

Memories of Shamrock v Severn.

Now I feel robbed. Any idea why?

It was realesed on a seperate tape with some other random fights and named "night of champioms" or some shit like that.

Also does anyone remember the Ultimate Shamrock VHs late was released back in the day

How about Maurice Smith knocking that Brazilian dude out with a head kick? I know it wasn't UFC. It was "Extreme Challenge". I was in shocked being that I was so used to seeing strikers getting submitted by BJJ dudes.

And to see an actual KO from a head kick was amazing.

I don't think I saw that one - was it Silveira? I remember him in Ultimate Japan . . .

Yeah I agree. It started getting annoying when grapplers would fight each other and stall on the ground or against the cage with matches going to decisions.

This was the same reason why Pro Wrestling in the 1900s went from being real to being staged. It's just the nature of the human animal. That is why rules has been modified to avoid fights going on for a long time with dudes grappling with hardly any action being initiated.

But at the time to see grapplers submitting other martial artists was amazing because it is something many of us were not accustomed to. I remember Jennum out grappling a Pro Boxer in UFC 4 and had his jaw broken from a punch by the Boxer while Jennum was on top mount. The Boxer managed to get back to his feet as Jennum was hurt but Jennum quickly took him down again.

Last edited:
I remember Coleman brutalized Williams for about 10 minutes or so, then gassed. Sadly, the only thing most people remember is the headkick. Under today's rules and round structure, Coleman would have won an easy decision.

It wasn't UFC, but it was around the same time...anyone remember watching Bart Vale headbutt some guy's face into a bloody pulp? That shit was brutal. I can't remember what org it was though.

Seent it. I remember Tank draping the Brazilian flag across the ring after he beat the piss out of Duarte. It was warranted though, because as far as remember, Duarte said something to the effect that he was going to F Tank in the A. I also vividly remember Mark Coleman turning a crazy shade of purple during the Pete Williams fight. People who didnt watch early MMA don't know what they missed.

Isnt he the man off the coffee tin

Blatnick really was a blessing to MMA at such an early stage in its developement.

Except when he and Jim Brown were too busy talking and missed Big John McCarthy breaking Brian Johnston's nose pulling him off of Nasri. I was so pissed. IMO it was the biggest reason he lost to Mark Coleman in the next round of the tournament. Definately a key turning point that was missed.

Except when he and Jim Brown were too busy talking and missed Big John McCarthy breaking Brian Johnston's nose pulling him off of Nasri. I was so pissed. IMO it was the biggest reason he lost to Mark Coleman in the next round of the tournament. Definately a key turning point that was missed.

He was sooooooo pissed when that happened.

this thread is a lot of fun to read. i remember back when i was a little kid (around the time these events were happening) my older brother and his friends rented the early ufc's (this was about '94 or '95).

What's wrong with you people? UFC 3 was the best event of the Gracie era and UFC 4 introduced the world to The Beast, featured a severely underrated clash between Gracie and Keith Hackney, and also debuted my personal favorite UFC commentating team, Bruce Beck and Jeff Blatnick, who would do the broadcast honors until UFC 15.

It was a great event, but the PPV was cut off at the end. I'm sure a few people were unhappy about that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back