How freaking AWESOME was UFC 17?

jodka

Regional Manager
@red
Reaction score
So, I'm going through my garage and stumble upon some of my old UFC tapes. (Yes, VHS tapes.)

I look at UFC 17 and the memories fly. This is one of the most fun to watch cards I can remember.

Newton vs. Gilstrap: Always fun to see Carlos land a sub
Newton vs. Hendo: What a great fight!! Back and forth, awesome sub attempts by Carlos
Chuck vs. Noe: My GOD can Noe take a punch!
Tank vs. Hugo Duarte: Does anyone remember the hype Hugo had? Lol, Tank stole his soul
Pete Williams vs. Mark Coleman: The KICK HEARD AROUND THE WORLD!
Frank Shamrock vs. Jeremy Horn: Everything great about MMA. Awesome, technical back and forth fight. Horn got the better of Frank for much of it, but Frank pulls out the kneebar.

I'm hoping someone else here is old enough to remember this classic night.

I've been watching since UFC 1, so I can share your feelings on this event.

Fact: 0.04% percent of people viewing this thread will have actually seen UFC 17.

75% will bitch about Dana White, despite Dana having nothing to do with this event.

I remember absolutely nothing about it, but I do have it on my hard drive, so maybe i'll give it a watch tonight!

Haven't seen it, but I think I might look it up. Sounds legendary. Only seen Coleman/Williams on that card, was a crazy KO. Still one of the most brutal headkicks IMO.

I felt cheated that I passed up watching UFC 1 and 2 and that it took me till UFC 3 to find my favorite sport.

I taught Just Bleed guy how to flex and make faces.

yeah, fun card. carlos newton was awesome. even in defeat his fights were entertaining (hendo, saku, anderson, hughes).

I remember that Pete Williams kick to Coleman's face being the most brutal thing. At the time that kick seemed really fancy though its pretty standard now

I've been watching since Pancrase

I swear I was one of the like 10 people who actually watched the old Pancrase shows that were on PPV way back in the day.

I also PAID for MARS Reality Superfighting, which was an AWESOME event, considering the org lasted for only that one show. Murilo was a GOD and Renzo just WRECKED Oleg.

I've been watching since UFC 1, so I can share your feelings on this event.

I also have been watching UFC since UFC 1... In fact I was AT UFC 1... ... In fact I was one of the fighters at UFC 1... ... ... ... In fact I'm Royce Gracie.

I won't pretend i seen that event. Apparently it was good though.

I also have been watching UFC since UFC 1... In fact I was AT UFC 1... ... In fact I was one of the fighters at UFC 1... ... ... ... In fact I'm Royce Gracie.

I was at your birth. I'm Helio Gracie. (Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated)

I swear I was one of the like 10 people who actually watched the old Pancrase shows that were on PPV way back in the day.

I also PAID for MARS Reality Superfighting, which was an AWESOME event, considering the org lasted for only that one show. Murilo was a GOD and Renzo just WRECKED Oleg.

thats when renzo ko'd oleg with an up kick from his back right?

What a huge upset. I can still remember Coleman's eyes wide open but no one was home. I think Pete Williams is a chef now

Actually didn't watch that event live. If it was on ppv at the time, we didn't have our free per view anymore.

If i had started with UFC 3, i probably wouldn't have watched UFC 4.

No way you can say that watching Keith Hackney defeat Emmanuel Yarborough wouldn't of turned you in to a fan. Kimo vs. Gracie? Shamrock actually finishing people? Harold Howard practically murdering someone on live TV (that didn't happen, but was how I felt when i first watched it)?

I admit I had to wiki to refresh the memory, but those were some great fights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back