How freaking AWESOME was UFC 17?

I was at your birth. I'm Helio Gracie. (Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated)

Sorry I was just being modest by not revealing my true identity. I'm actually Hisamori Takenouchi, founder of Jujutsu.

a legendary night fo sho.

good on ya TS.

If i had started with UFC 3, i probably wouldn't have watched UFC 4.

I dunno about that. If someone watched UFC 4 Live on PPV, they probably wouldn't watch the next one.

Skipping ahead a couple of shows, does anyone remember at UFC 19 Randleman saying Coleman was "the greatest fucking man that ever lived"? Haha

Haven't seen it in ages . . . But will always remember Coleman vs Pete Williams. Mark's cardio looked atrocious - literally bent over at the waste, both hands at his knees at moments. Pete's high kick was just itching for the side of the champ's head. The MMA world erupted (the atmosphere at the fight was unreal). I was both shocked in a sense, but then not so much as Mark's head was asking to be kicked off.

Haven't watched that one in a couple of years. I've got all the old ones on DVD for just such nostalgic times.

No way you can say that watching Keith Hackney defeat Emmanuel Yarborough wouldn't of turned you in to a fan. Kimo vs. Gracie? Shamrock actually finishing people? Harold Howard practically murdering someone on live TV (that didn't happen, but was how I felt when i first watched it)?

I admit I had to wiki to refresh the memory, but those were some great fights.

Yeah same here, thanks for reminding me. All i remembered about that event was Steve Jennum winning the tournament with one fight, over a guy who "defeated" Royce Gracie. I'd have to retract that statement!

Last edited:
Sorry I was just being modest by not revealing my true identity. I'm actually Hisamori Takenouchi, founder of Jujutsu.

As a samurai, I fully respect your modesty.

My real name is Musashi Miyamato.

tank beating hugo duarte was classic tank and one of his least talked about fights for some reason

I enjoyed it. Tank escaped a couple of submissions attempts and then he fucked him up with those 600 pound jackhammers. :D

If i had started with UFC 3, i probably wouldn't have watched UFC 4.

Really? Why is that? 3 was the first one I watched, rented on VHS a couple months after it was broadcast, hooked ever since.

Don't think I've seen it since it was during the "dark ages" of the UFC.

I remember that Duerta hype. I was so against him because I was a big Gracie BJJ supporter at the time (still is but more realistic and grown up about it).

If you were a legit grappler at the time, you were consider to be the next MMA big thing. Tank destroy Huerta.

It is unbelievable how bad ass Tank and how he let himself go.

Don't think I've seen it since it was during the "dark ages" of the UFC.

Yeah, I didn't see it untill years later. ebay has all the old ones in ten volume sets. I think I paid $20 for UFC 11-20.

Back