How does March Madness get more attention than the UFC? College students get more fame?!?!?!

It's a tournament in a short time frame, where underdogs have a better-than-average chance of winning because of the single elimination format. I don't watch it myself, but I have no trouble understanding why people find it exciting.

That's not true. The Superbowl does 10 times the ratings MM does and it's not that big a deal for most people. It's more of a smaller draw event that appeals to a very passionate fanbase than it is a major sports event like SB. SB = 111 million viewers to MM = 10 million according to 2019 SB ratings and last years MM ratings. MM has also been declining in viewership for the last decade.
It is still number two. There is no other event below it that comes close.

Is that the raitings for CBS, or all of the ratings on all channels combined? Bc I find 10 mil for all of those games over multiple channels and platforms extremely hard to believe. Maybe 10 mil for the championship game alone.

It is still number two. There is no other event below it that comes close.

Is that the raitings for CBS, or all of the ratings on all channels combined? Bc I find 10 mil for all of those games over multiple channels and platforms extremely hard to believe. Maybe 10 mil for the championship game alone.

It was the average or the whole event.

NCAA Final Four is 6th in the country btw behind SB, WS, Olympics, College Football and NBA Finals.

US is too invested into their league sports, Mexico only stops for national Soccer team and some Boxing.

It was the average or the whole event.

NCAA Final Four is 6th in the country btw behind SB, WS, Olympics, College Football and NBA Finals.
Hm. Times have changed, I guess. I know for a fact that wasn't always the case. I'm actually stunned that it is bringing in less viewers than basically all of those save the Super Bowl. I could see college football being close, but the World Series? Does anyone really watch that anymore? The Olympics is kind if a given, but it isn't an annual event. The NBA finals? Really?

Because many millions of people like watching the NCAA Basketball tournament.

Even moreso than Pro Basketball really (I know I like watching March Madness than the NBA by LONG shot.)

College graduates follow to see how far their Alma Mater goes. Families of the players involved watch. The populace of many "college towns" tune in to watch.

Then there's just the drama of it all for sports fans. This is a single elimination tournament--no series like Pro Basketball, Baseball or Hockey (which I can't stand.) You either win, or go home. And you have to win 6 games in a row against the best teams in the country in order to be named National Champion.

Add to the fact that for many of these college athletes, this will be the height of their athletic careers. Only a small percentage of them will go pro. So this is the only chance to see many of them shine on the biggest stage that they'll ever get.

Lastly, so many more networks cover it and it is more accessible to more people.

MMA, while just about my favorite sport, just doesn't have the clout to compete with all that.

And that probably isn't going to change ever.

Hm. Times have changed, I guess. I know for a fact that wasn't always the case. I'm actually stunned that it is bringing in less viewers than basically all of those save the Super Bowl. I could see college football being close, but the World Series? Does anyone really watch that anymore? The Olympics is kind if a given, but it isn't an annual event. The NBA finals? Really?

Yeah. Like I was saying the people that like MM, fucking LOVE it but most people don't really care. And MLB is still huge just not NFL huge.

Last year's top 10:

https://listosaur.com/sports/top-10-most-watched-sporting-events-on-us-television/

Some good answers already add in the fact it is one of the biggest events to bet on in world sports.

3 1/2 weeks of...Madness, mayhem. 18-22 year old young men expending every ounce of energy just to survive a game and move on. Only one team will win and 67 will have their hearts ripped out of their chest.

We’re talking about amateur basketball players who arn’t even the best in the world. Most of them won’t even make the NBA yet the get treated like superstars in the media. Why doesn’t the UFC - where the BEST OF THE BEST compete - get more attention and fame than a bunch of college students? Heck even I know more about March Madness than what is going on in the UFC this month.

They don't get more attention. It's fake news.

Because the teams that win actually get to play for the championship.

It’s kinda like, a real sport.

The NCAA doesn’t just take Duke and let them skip the entire season, then place them in the championship game.
Maybe that has something to do with mma fighters only being able to compete a few times a year, while team sports you can compete 16-160 times a year. Don't be a dumbass. You can't compare combat sports to team sports. Boxing does the same thing

It still captures the public in a way that is more tangible than any of those other events besides the superbowl. I mean what workplace has an NBA finals bracket?
My gym this morning is advertising a bracket challenge for example

I think people just lose interest once their nearest school goes down. Plus college basketball as a whole has been damaged by one and dones

Maybe that has something to do with mma fighters only being able to compete a few times a year, while team sports you can compete 16-160 times a year. Don't be a dumbass. You can't compare combat sports to team sports. Boxing does the same thing

WWE guys are much tougher than UFC fighters:
UFC fighters cry when they have to fly 3x times a year.

WWE guys do everything UFC guys do and much more ... 360/year.

They would fucken die if they had to prove themselves every fucken week like soccer players.

Fighters = biggest betas in history of sports

It still captures the public in a way that is more tangible than any of those other events besides the superbowl. I mean what workplace has an NBA finals bracket?
My gym this morning is advertising a bracket challenge for example

I think people just lose interest once their nearest school goes down. Plus college basketball as a whole has been damaged by one and dones
Very true. That there haven't been a lot of college stars for some time isn't good for college basketball. Every player with a pulse declares before his junior year. Idk how other people feel about it, but I've always felt that it should be mandatory that students graduate before declaring. In the end it's good for everyone involved. One could say it is keeping a man from making money, but the skills and life experience a player can gain under a guy like Coack K is invaluable. Can you imagine how much better Lebron's rookie season would have been if he played college ball prior? His career would more than likely be more legendary than it has turned out, and that's saying something.

I don't think they should have the same standard for college football though. That may sound hypocritical, but football players have genuine danger of career ending injury on every down. It happens in basketball, but it is far less frequent. Let the football players declare and go pro and make money, imo.

Basketball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MMA
MMA>Basketball. Football>Basketball and it's not even close.

Very true. That there haven't been a lot of college stars for some time isn't good for college basketball. Every player with a pulse declares before his junior year. Idk how other people feel about it, but I've always felt that it should be mandatory that students graduate before declaring. In the end it's good for everyone involved. One could say it is keeping a man from making money, but the skills and life experience a player can gain under a guy like Coack K is invaluable. Can you imagine how much better Lebron's rookie season would have been if he played college ball prior? His career would more than likely be more legendary than it has turned out, and that's saying something.

I don't think they should have the same standard for college football though. That may sound hypocritical, but football players have genuine danger of career ending injury on every down. It happens in basketball, but it is far less frequent. Let the football players declare and go pro and make money, imo.

I think either let them go straight to the league and make money or make em all stay 4 years and give them amateur status and the ability to profit off their talent.

Back