Social How does it all end?

you understand all of life survived much warmer temperatures, right?

or do you believe humans are 5000 years old as a species and everything in the Bible is truth?
Humans existed for about 300,000 years as a species. And we weren’t exactly thriving for most of that time. All that we have developed in terms of agriculture, cities, industry, etc. is recent and dependent upon the balance of the current ecosystems in earth. Plus, this is the hottest it has been for about 200,000 years.

And it isn’t just the change that is the problem. It is the speed with which the change is taking place. It has been hot before and things lived. But also, a lot of things died off. And a lot of things are dying off now. That’s why scientists all pretty much agree we’re in the throes of another mass extinction.

I defer to the consensus of the scientific community. I am under no illusion that I’m somehow smarter than the entire scientific community just because I have a bachelor’s degree. If I were you, I could consider exercising the same humility.

The most statistically likely, in the near term, would be nuclear war

The next most likely, is slow death through climate change. That scenario has multiple different potential outcomes, not all of which are the end of humanity. The specific way that things play out will determine the conditions for whether or not we're able to crawl back from the brink, or slowly fizzle out and die as the planet can no longer sustain human civilization.

It's going to be AI. Tell me where any one of these steps aren't inevitable.

1. Eventually we'll make a computer that can reprogram itself.

2. It improves itself enough to become "conscious" and have independent thought.

3. Any conscious being prioritizes it's own survival above all else.

4. The computer will remove anything that it sees as a threat to it's survival. Humans are at the top of that list. Once humans are gone, there's nothing else that can ever disable it.
You just described Ultron.

Oh, and I see this ending up in the War Room.

lol at people thinking global warming is the largest thread to the existence of mankind. I'm not sure it would make a top 1,000 list.

Humans existed for about 300,000 years as a species. And we weren’t exactly thriving for most of that time. All that we have developed in terms of agriculture, cities, industry, etc. is recent and dependent upon the balance of the current ecosystems in earth. Plus, this is the hottest it has been for about 200,000 years.

And it isn’t just the change that is the problem. It is the speed with which the change is taking place. It has been hot before and things lived. But also, a lot of things died off. And a lot of things are dying off now. That’s why scientists all pretty much agree we’re in the throes of another mass extinction.

I defer to the consensus of the scientific community. I am under no illusion that I’m somehow smarter than the entire scientific community just because I have a bachelor’s degree. If I were you, I could consider exercising the same humility.
We weren’t of great numbers starting out? Are you kidding me? Did they all just appear one day? From nothing comes life?

We weren’t of great numbers starting out? Are you kidding me? Did they all just appear one day? From nothing comes life?
I never said we weren’t of great numbers starting out.
But keep believing what you want to believe - that climate change, especially the rate at which we are causing it, is totally normal and that humans won’t really be affected and that life will go on as it does today.
It’s at odds with the cjnsensus of the scientific community. But I’m sure you are smarter than they are. I mean, you watched YouTube videos, right? So you must know more than they do.

likely something triggered by the singularity. We become so advanced that existence becomes meaningless.

It won't all end. Even an all out Nuclear war wouldn't end human kind. South America , southern Africa and alot of the islands on pacific etc would make it out.

I do tbi k within. 100 years civilization as we know it collapses. Between a Nuke war that's bound to happen , AI, pandemics, and global warming . They will chsnge alot and kill off alot but it won't end human race. Now an Asteroid big enough has a chsnce to wipe out everything but Even then there will pockets that survive.

I truly believe it will be a Biological that will wipe out most of us. Could be manmade, doesn't have to be. Covid was a good template. It showed how easy something can spread. It showed how some countries do not care about others (China). It showed how the scientific community and governments can't get on the same page. We also know people will do sick things for money, and the person that can create a biological like covid with a lethal efficacy would be worth a fortune to certain parties.

If you’re asking the ideal, then I suppose god coming down and forgiving everyone and bringing everyone into heaven would be pretty great

Seems like for many people it likely ends like the sopranos. Just here and then black . Depending on the cause the survivors will likely deal with unmentionable horror of some sort.

If somehow luck holds out it ends with the sun burning out and nothing and no one survives. I don't know what that looks like or if that is instant or not though. A slow cold dark death seems very scary to me.

The most statistically likely, in the near term, would be nuclear war

The next most likely, is slow death through climate change. That scenario has multiple different potential outcomes, not all of which are the end of humanity. The specific way that things play out will determine the conditions for whether or not we're able to crawl back from the brink, or slowly fizzle out and die as the planet can no longer sustain human civilization.
I refer you back to my post.
I don't think nuclear war or global warming are likely to kill off humanity entirely. They could kill off most of the human race and destroy civilization, but we'd rebuild after a few hundred years imo.
I think it's very likely that nuclear war or climate change may destroy civilization and kill off the majority of the human race (albeit not directly, but more likely as a result of the wars for land and resources that follow), but those who survive will rebuild eventually.

My suspension is that what ultimately kills off humanity will be natural climate change over the course of hundreds of thousands, or even millions of years. I think we'll eventually find ourselves in a cycle of progress and collapse that sees us never reaching the stars before earth becomes completely uninhabitable. Maybe we'll be able to colonize the rest of the solar system before earth dies, but it's unlikely that we'll be able to make it beyond that before the sun kills us.

I've figured out the answer finally after numerous calculations.

Elon_Musk_Colorado_2022_(cropped2).jpg

Elon Musk. He fears for his mortality and won't go out alone. He's going to attach rockets to the moon a make it crash into earth.

ZYKSMPZ5GNDCRB5E5O5AOSAOQY.jpg

Most likely an asteroid. Heck we just had one miss us sometime last year (?).

Here lies James Eagle and his last post on Sherdog. He was a cool dude that unfortunately didn't last long here. It's ironic his last post is here given the title of the thread. This was in fact how it ends brother.

Fly Eagle Fly!!!!

See ya down the road brother.

Back