Social How does it all end?

There's 8 billion people on earth, even if 99% of humanity died there would still be 80 million people left. I think it's pretty unlikely humanity dies off completely anytime soon, but I could see civilization as we know it now collapsing. I don't know if it will go that far, but I think we're headed for some very difficult times in the coming decades.

Here's my guess at what happens in the coming decades. The extreme heat we've seen the last couple years might die down a bit once the El Nino cycle ends, and it will appear for a few years like climate change might be stabilizing, then we'll have a few more years where the temperature really ramps up again. Extreme weather events become more and more common, and we see something truly unprecedented by the end of the decade like a monster hurricane just destroying a city where there is a huge loss of life. We collectively realize how badly we screwed up and actually start trying to address the problem, but it's way too late. Things continue to get worse and worse year after year, and massive migrations start happening as crop failures become more common along with previously habitable areas becoming less and less hospitable to human life.

Food prices skyrocket, and the combined effect of that plus massive migrations and continued highly damaging extreme weather events lead to increases in both local and wide scale violence and political instability. This continues for some time until something really major happens, perhaps another pandemic occurs at which point things really go down the shitter. Enough of normal society breaks down that large parts of our current industrial infrastructure just stop, with no path towards starting them back up again. What little industrial scale farming and health care support still exist are severely interrupted, and famine and death occur on a massive scale with hundreds of millions or billions dying.

Not everything. But humans certainly will when it gets hotter. And society as we know it will not be able to exist.
um, society does not die in warmth. I vacation in the Dominican Republic, its in the upper 80s F every day. there are no seasons. life thrives in heat, life dies in cold. you have it ass backwards. you know where O2 comes from? plants. you know what dies in the cold?

because when the Earth was way hotter everything died?

no,. when everything was way colder everything died

No, when it was colder everything didn't die.

But human civilization flourished in large part because for the last 12,000 years, the climate was very mild and stable. Do you really not understand how radically changing that climate will be bad for humanity?

because when the Earth was way hotter everything died?

no,. when everything was way colder everything died
The earth has been through much worse than we're putting it through though we need to keep it reigned in. Several of those times were called "extinction events".

But human civilization flourished in large part because for the last 12,000 years, the climate was very mild and stable. Do you really not understand how radically changing that climate will be bad for humanity?
the vast majority did

explain to me what life survived under a mile of ice

animals had no issues when it was hot. in fact they got HUGE

You don't seem to understand that the issue is more complicated than the temperature changing.

you are talking about hot

or are you saying the temperature is going down?

you literally have no argument to my point so you are just spewing nonsense

you are talking about hot

or are you saying the temperature is going down?

you literally have no argument to my point so you are just spewing nonsense

The climate system is more complex than just temperature. You have a trivial, simplistic understanding of the problem.

um, society does not die in warmth. I vacation in the Dominican Republic, its in the upper 80s F every day. there are no seasons. life thrives in heat, life dies in cold.
So you think that if the global average temperature increases that it just means every place will be like the Caribbean?
No, that isn’t how it works. The Caribbean exists as it does today because the earth’s temperature is what it is, and all of the other interdependent geological systems can function as they do today.

If you increase the average temperature of the entire earth, the whole thing breaks down. Polar ice melts. Even more carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere creating a greater rate of warming. Right now (rather before the Industrial Revolution) we had a balance. That balance will be going away.
In other words, the earth will still be here but it will be drastically different. There will be few places that are habitable for humans year round.

You can read papers by climate scientists explaining this stuff you know. It’s out there.

animals had no issues when it was hot. in fact they got HUGE

Did those animals build cities along the coasts? Did they rely on industrial scale farming?

And do you really think when the climate changed in the past it didn't bring massive extinction events?

um, society does not die in warmth. I vacation in the Dominican Republic, its in the upper 80s F every day. there are no seasons. life thrives in heat, life dies in cold. you have it ass backwards. you know where O2 comes from? plants. you know what dies in the cold?
I have vacationed there, as well as Cuba and Mexico. It's quite warm, but far off from temperatures that will kill humans.

At 35 degrees celsius and 100% humidity with no way to cool down, you are already on borrowed time. It's just a matter of time before organ failure and brain damage set in depending on length of exposure. At 45 degrees Celsius with 100% humidity under the same conditions, even the fittest of humans is in deep, deep shit.

Life does thrive in heat, but there certainly are limits.

So you think that if the global average temperature increases that it just means every place will be like the Caribbean?
No, that isn’t how it works. The Caribbean exists as it does today because the earth’s temperature is what it is, and all of the other interdependent geological systems can function as they do today.

If you increase the average temperature of the entire earth, the whole thing breaks down. Polar ice melts. Even more carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere creating a greater rate of warming. Right now (rather before the Industrial Revolution) we had a balance. That balance will be going away.
In other words, the earth will still be here but it will be drastically different. There will be few places that are habitable for humans year round.

You can read papers by climate scientists explaining this stuff you know. It’s out there.
you claimed

Not everything. But humans certainly will when it gets hotter. And society as we know it will not be able to exist.

my Mom lives in Pheonix, it gets hot as fuck, and there's millions of people in AZ. why aren't people all dying? I'm not certian you know what "certainly" means

I have vacationed there, as well as Cuba and Mexico. It's quite warm, but far off from temperatures that will kill humans.

At 35 degrees celsius and 100% humidity with no way to cool down, you are already on borrowed time. It's just a matter of time before organ failure and brain damage set in depending on length of exposure. At 45 degrees Celsius with 100% humidity under the same conditions, even the fittest of humans is in deep, deep shit.

Life does thrive in heat, but there certainly are limits.
there's mountainous regions, there are beach regions, the sky is falling is just a lunatics cry . these same people throw soup at oil paintings. it unhinged children.

the only thing we have to fear is global freezing

you understand all of life survived much warmer temperatures, right?

or do you believe humans are 5000 years old as a species and everything in the Bible is truth?

Did those animals build cities along the coasts? Did they rely on industrial scale farming?

And do you really think when the climate changed in the past it didn't bring massive extinction events?
they covered the whole earth

It's going to be AI. Tell me where any one of these steps aren't inevitable.

1. Eventually we'll make a computer that can reprogram itself.

2. It improves itself enough to become "conscious" and have independent thought.

3. Any conscious being prioritizes it's own survival above all else.

4. The computer will remove anything that it sees as a threat to it's survival. Humans are at the top of that list. Once humans are gone, there's nothing else that can ever disable it.

Back