how do you handle an upcoming extremely stressful event UPDATE p. 6

Lots and lots of masturbation

I remind myself that the moment I'm fearing will come and go as they all do. I'll still be standing after it and if I'd like to emerge without stumbling I better stay out of my own way.

Worrying about what is inevitable is counterproductive. Your time to present will be upon you soon enough. Go to war then, not with yourself now.

Nerves are going to mess with you regardless if it's a big event but embrace that shit. Don't let it turn to stress because that will, without question, drain the shit out of you.

Knock em dead.

What are you planning on doing with your PhD? If teach, you're going to have to get over that fear of public speaking eventually, might as well starting ASAP!

You'll do fine; the likelihood of you blanking and being reduced to a dribbling idiot are low. It's OK, some would even say preferable, to be nervous before something like this, but try and be confident regardless.

how do you handle an upcoming extremely stressful event?

I take care of business first, then I reward myself afterwards.

Firstly, that is a great accomplishment and you should be excited. Also, it sounds like you spent quite a bit of time preparing yourself which is great too. I recommend taking your time, take a few deep breaths before you start responding. There's probably a ton of info that you will want to get out but try not to rush it, it'll come across better.
Also, mentally prepare yourself to come across that one person who just wants to give you a hard time. It's easy to become defensive when you feel someone is attacking your work. Again, try and take some deep breaths and calm yourself before you respond to that person. The others on the examining board will recognize your composure and when they're deliberating later, that will definitely play a part in their decision.
Preparation is key and it sounds like you done that. Come back and update us when it's all done and tell us how it went.

have everything done and prepared days before its due. Then you're certainly prepared for what every they have to offer.... It's your research you should know what's in it! unless you stole it all, then you're effd and if all else fails, clever bs works well

Let me let you in on a little Nordic secret.

"When you are faced with troubles and in want of sleep, sleep. The troubles will still be there in the morning and you will be better able to face them with a clear head."

Perfect answer.
Lack of sleep will only make things worse.

Until you've had people trying to kill you, you don't know what stress is.

Stopped reading at - 'its an oral exam with 5 professors'

I'm sure you're a pro at what you do brah.

Was in a similar situation, nothing seemed to be working, didnt sleep for days. Could not find a way to overcome the anxiety, all it took was time.

Lorazepam ,Effexor and some
Booze

He said need to needs to stress less for this,not have someone tell the professors
he wont be able to make it due to being in acoma :icon_lol:

Although that might help him clear his head when he wakes up.

All i can advice ts is not to make the situation any worse than what it is in his
head. It is what it is,a test.
In laymans terms you know your shit,the professors know you know your shit that's
why you're there.
All you have got to do is tell them you know your shit.

You better get your shit together ts

Skip out and have your therapist tell the education peeps that you had to go see about a girl.

You should see a physician and get a prescription for a beta blocker such as inderal.

Fail quals and you'll probably get a second go at it a year later.

Back