how do you handle an upcoming extremely stressful event UPDATE p. 6

try and keep this in mind:

“If there is no solution to the problem then don't waste time worrying about it. If there is a solution to the problem then don't waste time worrying about it.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

Also, I read a tip about breathing:

Take a quick deep breath in, and exhale slowly (around 5 seconds). Do this for some repetitions. Exhaling slowly helps to activate that parasympathetic nervous system, and that will help to calm you down some.

Also, if the stress is still higher than what you'd like it to be, try not to compound the problem by stressing out over the fact that you are stressed out. Kind of like a socially anxious guy going to a party: he is nervous at the thought of it and his anxiety spikes. Well, then what he does is start beating himself up over his anxiety, and it kind of starts a cycle that adds anxiety on top of what he is already experiencing. Remember: pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional!

Good luck man.

So its in a few hours. Place ur wagers/predictions and send some positive vitor belfort energy my way. Will update after

Best of luck TS. I advanced to candidacy about a year ago. The defense/exam itself was indeed stressful, but once you're in there and talking things go just fine.

If I had seen this thread earlier I would have suggested a beta-blocker (inderal, as previously mentioned itt). Look into it if you have performance anxiety that impacts your speaking/clarity/focus.

Now go kick some ass dude.

Pray

But if serious i listening to ASMR or something.

You got to have you headphones on.

I am weird.

That is an intense situation! Idk how i'd cope with that lol

Stay calm and be confident.

Take a second to think about the question before answering.

Its your time, not theirs, answers the questions slowly and try to think before you speak. Don't be afraid to skip a question and answer it after you put some thought into it. Its better to pause and think than say something that doesn't make sense.

You can say, "That's a very good question. Give me some time to put a little extra thought into that answer. But let's see if I could answer another question."

Most important: Think of questions they will ask and have answers. Have some ask you random questions about your project. This will help your confidence and public speaking in general.

You will smile when you get a question you have already prepared for. Sometimes I will purposely leave areas vague or opened ended so it leads people towards asking questions I already have answers to.

Areas you maybe weak in should be very detailed. It helps avoid question in those areas. The parts you KNOW are the areas where you want people to question. You will have an easy time answering those questions.

These are all tips I have learned from doing presentations at work.

Last edited:
Maybe too late...

But for me the source of confidence in this type of situation is to know my stuff top to bottom. That's the only way I can handle it well.

Would you be nervous about a presentation on MMA? Or Super Mario? (or whatever)
No. Cause you know your stuff, presumably :)

in your situation ts, try to detach yourself from caring about the end result, quit being so goal-oriented. if you've done your part, just enjoy the experience for what it's worth.

I passed! Not only did I pass I killed it! They all remarked that I really knew my stuff which means a lot to me. There was one prof on my committee I was concerned about. Everyone in my lab told me he was the worse and asked really hard and odd questions. Well that dude must like me because he kept spooning me soft ball questions that I kept knocking out of the park. He gave me a pat on the back afterwards and with a huge smile said well done. Surprising for someone that everyone thinks is a hardass and tries to avoid

thanks all u guys for ur kind words and thoughts

I will finally sleep well tonight

It's only natural to get nervous before something like this, even if you don't have social anxiety. I would just try to focus in on what you really need to do and think about in order to accomplish your goal and bear the anxiety along the way. You'll feel better when it's over and you pass.

This is a little late, but I've found that the best way to make a presentation easy is to know the material inside and out.

Don't forget to eat and stay hydrated. Seems obvious, but just force yourself to take care of the basics.

Lol @ the last four posts. Good to see people read before posting.

Anyways, congrats TS. Just be glad one of the profs wasn't a Heat fan.

I passed! Not only did I pass I killed it! They all remarked that I really knew my stuff which means a lot to me. There was one prof on my committee I was concerned about. Everyone in my lab told me he was the worse and asked really hard and odd questions. Well that dude must like me because he kept spooning me soft ball questions that I kept knocking out of the park. He gave me a pat on the back afterwards and with a huge smile said well done. Surprising for someone that everyone thinks is a hardass and tries to avoid

thanks all u guys for ur kind words and thoughts

I will finally sleep well tonight

Congratulations, TS! Really happy for you... I knew you'd nail it. That's what you do when you're anxious and scared. You embrace the fear... You go in there and lay it all on the line and you get it done by whatever means necessary. PhD is your goal, and it's right within your grasp. Don't let anything stand in your way.

As for Oral Boards... Victory is yours. Time for you to celebrate, my Friend :)

For the people suggesting Rx drugs: Is it wise to experiment with an unfamiliar substance the day of a really important presentation? Assuming he's never taken them before and thus doesn't know his body's reaction to them, that seems like an incredibly risky proposition. Would be the last thing on my list of choices for that reason.

And congrats TS, sounds like another example of some anxiety actually augmenting a performance instead of diminishing it.

For the people suggesting Rx drugs: Is it wise to experiment with an unfamiliar substance the day of a really important presentation? Assuming he's never taken them before and thus doesn't know his body's reaction to them, that seems like an incredibly risky proposition. Would be the last thing on my list of choices for that reason.

And congrats TS, sounds like another example of some anxiety actually augmenting a performance instead of diminishing it.

This. Rx Drugs for anxiety don't even start working for two weeks usually.

real stress only happens when someone is trying to kill you. You're experiencing fake stress

Back