how do you handle an upcoming extremely stressful event UPDATE p. 6

Congratulations, TS! Really happy for you... I knew you'd nail it. That's what you do when you're anxious and scared. You embrace the fear... You go in there and lay it all on the line and you get it done by whatever means necessary. PhD is your goal, and it's right within your grasp. Don't let anything stand in your way.

As for Oral Boards... Victory is yours. Time for you to celebrate, my Friend :)

thanks man. this place can really be a great sometimes. the week leading up to the test i was super nervous and like i said not getting any sleep and on the verge of panic attacks. but yesterday night and today during the test i stopped being nervous and the advice in this thread played a big part in that.

but the nervousness was good in a way. made me really focus and work hard. for some reason when i'm nervous my brain can go into some weird mode where i can absorb a lot of information at once

i was just celebrating with my prof and he let me know one of the profs was really prepared to grill me but after a i answered his first five questions in complet detail he just stopped and gave me my props.

For the people suggesting Rx drugs: Is it wise to experiment with an unfamiliar substance the day of a really important presentation? Assuming he's never taken them before and thus doesn't know his body's reaction to them, that seems like an incredibly risky proposition. Would be the last thing on my list of choices for that reason.

And congrats TS, sounds like another example of some anxiety actually augmenting a performance instead of diminishing it.

thanks man!

and i agree about the drug thing. i would never take a drug in a time of stress or depression or whatever ( i would however do it if i were in a good place in and happy). i stopped drinking for a month because i wanted to focus on the test and didnt want to drink to help me with the stress. but this weekend i'm gonna get wasted and do something silly

real stress only happens when someone is trying to kill you. You're experiencing fake stress

i agree somewhat. i understand what you are saying, the source of my stress is really silly and negligible in the big scheme of things. but the stress and anxiety i was dealing with was as real as possible. i use to suffer from anxiety attacks (panic attacks) for a brief stint after my dog passed. the last two weeks was the closest to that, i felt panic attacks coming and was lucky enough to keep my head together enough to not have them (but this is the first time where i had literally sleepless nights).

thanks man. this place can really be a great sometimes. the week leading up to the test i was super nervous and like i said not getting any sleep and on the verge of panic attacks. but yesterday night and today during the test i stopped being nervous and the advice in this thread played a big part in that.

but the nervousness was good in a way. made me really focus and work hard. for some reason when i'm nervous my brain can go into some weird mode where i can absorb a lot of information at once

i was just celebrating with my prof and he let me know one of the profs was really prepared to grill me but after a i answered his first five questions in complet detail he just stopped and gave me my props.

That is awesome, Buddy. Fear can be a great motivator if used properly. Also, I know what it's like to live with Social Anxiety... I've done some incredibly scary things in my life without issue. But ask me to speak in front of 10 or more people or have dinner with a group of people I don't know? Fuck that... I'll get through it and no one will notice, but I'll feel like just walking away the entire time. Social Anxiety is truly a terrible affliction. It's something I've worked greatly on, but it's always a constant battle. Sometimes, it's easy to think you're alone in feeling that fear, but there's tons of people out there with the same problem. What you did was more of an accomplishment than your peers that did the same thing because of that phobia, imo. Well done again... Are you just gonna cut loose and celebrate with the friends/family/girl this weekend?

Last edited:
Congrats, bro. WHy would you want to do a phd in bio chem ? lol..

Back