how do you handle an upcoming extremely stressful event UPDATE p. 6

lakersfan45

That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!
@Gold
Reaction score
i havent slept for days and i'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown. i'm a graduate student working towards my PhD in biochemistry. tomorrow is my advancement, its an oral exam with 5 professors. you present your current and future research for an hour and they ask you questions - any question related to your field or projects and you have to answer them. they also have to find your current and proposed research valuable enough to continue.

last year someone in my lab failed and she left our group. its a pretty big thing if you fail. ive been preparing for three weeks and i don't know what i would do if i failed.

all of this is compounded by my social anxiety. i hate presenting (all though its something ive learned to do and deal with), but when you mix in the pressure of an exam like this with my social anxiety its really hard for me to cope. my head is spinning and i'm having trouble relaxing.

so what do you guys do to relax in a situation like this. usually i would watch tv or take my dog for a walk but nothing is working at all.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should be excited. It's the culmination of your journey towards higher learning.

Let me let you in on a little Nordic secret.

"When you are faced with troubles and in want of sleep, sleep. The troubles will still be there in the morning and you will be better able to face them with a clear head."

Sounds like you should be excited. It's the culmination of your journey towards higher learning.

thanks, i am excited. i just hope i dont get an asshole on the committee or stumble on some questions that i know. when i am talking to professors who enjoy and are excited about my research i glow and couldn't be happier. but like i said sometimes you get an asshole or someone who isn't into what you are doing and it can become a rough couple hours. i mean if i failed i think i'd go completely insane like silva did in round 2 vs wiedman.

anyway i keep thinking about what agent dale cooper said on twin peaks "All things considered, being shot is not as bad as I always thought it might be. As long as you can keep the fear from your mind. I guess you could say that about most anything in life. It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind."

Lorazepam ,Effexor and some
Booze

Let me let you in on a little Nordic secret.

"When you are faced with troubles and in want of sleep, sleep. The troubles will still be there in the morning and you will be better able to face them with a clear head."

this is brilliant and true, thanks. this thread is actually helping out. i think it helps just to actually type out what i'm feeling. and its always good for you guys to remind me that its really not such a big deal. thanks sherdog, keep it coming

It's hard for me to put into words how to overcome it, but it basically relates to confidence. I work in a profession that can be considered fairly stressful at times since we deal with disputes + attorneys. Prior to working here, I used to get somewhat nervous taking tests or giving presentations. I've learned that if you are confident in your area of expertise or your material, there is no reason to be nervous.

In the end, you can only do your best and getting nervous does not help you. It's natural, but don't let it consume you.

Drink yourself to a coma, wake up, take a bath, eat a pizza, go to battle.

i havent slept for days and i'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Sounds like a plotline involved with your avatar.

Anyways, I don't think I've experienced anything that stressful in my life. There have been situations I was very nervous about and 99% of the time they aren't as bad as you think they will be. Good luck.

i have children. i fear nothing.

it's tough but you just gotta prepare and overcome. every time you go through hardship you become stronger and stronger.

Sounds like a plotline involved with your avatar.

Anyways, I don't think I've experienced anything that stressful in my life. There have been situations I was very nervous about and 99% of the time they aren't as bad as you think they will be. Good luck.

if only my problem was that i lived on elm street

having spent some years in grad school already i have already had to deal with many stressful exams (there is a first year exam that is similar). but none as big as this were i prepare for weeks and feel like i can be derailed by one prof if they are having a bad day.

You should take slow deep breaths.

Then, ask yourself if entertaining your anxiety and worry is worth derailing your professional future.

Tell your mind and ego to simmer down, and keep focusing on your breath.

Do not concern yourself with the Proffessors or their potential bad days, make sure you are having an awesome day.

There's an old Russian proverb that holds a lot of relevance here (paraphrasing from memory, I think it is mentioned in the play Uncle Vanya), "A man of genius seldom comes to ruin but by his own mind".

pace yourself,take a deep breathe.you will do it,because you can do it.I believe in you!

Get some bad ass music on ur ipad....ac/dc metallica....etc......then crank that shit up and go for a long run......that's what I do run until ur almost dead.....that seems to chill me out when I'm stressin about work or women or whatever.....visualize yourself kicking ass during the interview the whole time......if that doesn't work get drunk and masturbate

pace yourself,take a deep breathe.you will do it,because you can do it.I believe in you!

Does your space bar vanish after every punctuation mark?

You should just quit, and say fuck off!

Have a beer and never worry about anything in life again.

Just know that there could be far worse things that could happen to you in life. You TS, are in a good position in life regardless of what happens in your exam. Just do your best and don't leave anything on the table.

Back