How do you explain BJ Penn fall?

Chatting waffle and just regurgitating what you have heard.

He was multiple time world champion, and will be remembered as that just because YOU a sherdogger who has most likely never trained in your life thinks he never achieved his full potential
Er, no

It's pretty obvious that he was insanely talented but never evolved.

But tell me this, since you think you know so much. What did Penn learn or add to his game between the two GSP fights? Can you name a single thing? I'm gonna guess you can't. GSP clearly evolved a lot between those fights. Penn didn't learn a single fucking thing.

Again, respect for what he accomplished. But he should have had a much better career.

Got old, game caught up to him when was clearly past his prime/worn out.

Years of being a party boy, and he was lazy. He chose to fight at 170 after a really good run at 155 because it was a hard weight cut...even though he walks around at 170ish. He likes to eat and be lazy.

Penn had more natural talent in his pinky finger than some guys have in their whole body, but he relied on it way too much. It'll only take you so far. You can't cheat the system, and at some point, it just comes down to who put the work in.

gsp concussion

frankie outskilled him

BJ was all downhill after the 2nd gsp fight, he finally hit the mountain he couldn't make it over. I think it was all mental and became physical when he wasn't mentally the same.

Thats because you have only just got into MMA, smfh Prime Penn was a killer and mixed great boxing with insane TDD, occasional headkicks and a lust for finishes.

Have respect if you have little knowledge
Typical BJ Stan. He’s good but overrated.

But all the clocks in the city
Began to whirr and chime:
'O let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time.

'In the burrows of the Nightmare
Where Justice naked is,
Time watches from the shadow
And coughs when you would kiss.

'In headaches and in worry
Vaguely life leaks away,
And Time will have his fancy
To-morrow or to-day.

'Into many a green valley
Drifts the appalling snow;
Time breaks the threaded dances
And the diver's brilliant bow.

'O plunge your hands in water,
Plunge them in up to the wrist;
Stare, stare in the basin
And wonder what you've missed.

'The glacier knocks in the cupboard,
The desert sighs in the bed,
And the crack in the tea-cup opens
A lane to the land of the dead.

(TL;DR time)

NFL players often retire in their early 30s because they already feel the effects and results of not being in your real physical prime anymore. MMA is just more "forgiving" because the athletes aren't that high-level (that's also why the lower-tier athletes in the bigger divisions can fight longer than the (better athletes) smaller ones, look at Oleynik for example.)
I agree with most of your post, but the "lower quality athlete" topic has nothing to do with the age/career trajectory in combat sports. It isn't just MMA. You see the same thing in boxing and wrestling.

Guys often peak later (or can maintain their peak longer) in combat sports because they are further to the skill side of the skill vs athleticism spectrum, just like baseball players or quarterbacks. Higher or lower quality athlete doesn't have much to do with it. Athleticism is just less important in games/positions where skill is more important (and the skill cap is insanely high).

Another big factor is that speed goes away long before strength. In combat sports, some styles are not reliant on speed and can focus instead on strength.

Bigger guys peak later/longer for three reasons that I know of:
1. Their bodies can take more punishment
2. They generally finish developing physically at a later age
3. Strength lasts longer than speed and they are often less reliant on speed

*When I say speed I'm also including reflexes. The fact that speed goes first is a big reason that guys with explosive styles like RJJ and Fedor usually do not age as well as more methodical guys like B-Hop and Randy.

I don't think he truly fell off until that Rory MacDonald fight and he was already 33 by then.

Er, no

It's pretty obvious that he was insanely talented but never evolved.

But tell me this, since you think you know so much. What did Penn learn or add to his game between the two GSP fights? Can you name a single thing? I'm gonna guess you can't. GSP clearly evolved a lot between those fights. Penn didn't learn a single fucking thing.

Again, respect for what he accomplished. But he should have had a much better career.
I don't 'know' so much leonard, i'm just a fan of the sport and it irritates me that people can completely forget Penns greatness. specifically fans who only started watching the sport this year.

Typical BJ Stan. He’s good but overrated.
Yes, Penn was shite. Numpty
giphy.gif

1- Beer and Hot Dogs
2- Delusional attitude + yes men
3- Never trained hard enough
4- couldn't let go because he is a raging egomaniac chasing the adoration of the crowd and buzz of victory
5- Did not adapt

BJ was lazy
He was training "hard" only before a fight
Also, Penn always thought that he knows everything and never tried to adapt to new fighters

Drinking, parties, hookers, coke.

Back