How do you do your mash potatoes?

if you put hot milk in with the spuds and mash, like lots of cafes do, they turn out very differently than just the usual butter and splash of cold milk.

I like a hunk of bread with my pud tooo, what kind of loaves are you fellas wiping your sauces etc up with?

i fucking hate when people write "Mash Potatoes" instead of "Mashed"

if you put hot milk in with the spuds and mash, like lots of cafes do, they turn out very differently than just the usual butter and splash of cold milk.

Cream>>Milk

I boil the potatoes in half and half or whole milk (add a little water to thin it out), drain some liquid out after the potatoes are soft and mash in the liquid that's left along with plenty of butter, salt and whatever strikes me. Roasted garlic, parmesan, etc. Add more liquid as needed, if needed, from the liquid I've drained off.

Saw a show with Eric Ripert and his comment was that restaurants use twice as much butter as most home cooks to make their mashed potatoes.

I boil the potatoes in half and half or whole milk (add a little water to thin it out), drain some liquid out after the potatoes are soft and mash in the liquid that's left along with plenty of butter, salt and whatever strikes me. Roasted garlic, parmesan, etc. Add more liquid as needed, if needed, from the liquid I've drained off.

Saw a show with Eric Ripert and his comment was that restaurants use twice as much butter as most home cooks to make their mashed potatoes.

Boil them in whole milk? That sounds dumb. Why are you doing doing that?

I go light on the butter because it separates and they turn yellow.

Butter, Milk, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt, Chives, and sometimes cheese.

i fucking hate when people write "Mash Potatoes" instead of "Mashed"

I hear it in the south a lot and I agree that it is pretty annoying, but I have been guilty of doing it once or twice myself.

I hear it in the south a lot and I agree that it is pretty annoying, but I have been guilty of doing it once or twice myself.

It's a common occurance in kitchens. I understand "Mash", but when I read "Mash Potatoes" every day it bugs me.

Boil them in whole milk? That sounds dumb. Why are you doing doing that?

I go light on the butter because it separates and they turn yellow.

Dumb to cook with something you're going to add to it anyway? If I recall you have problems making a roux so I'll take the dumb comment with a grain of salt (to continue the cooking theme).

You can take your comment on butter up with Eric Ripert.

Dumb to cook with something you're going to add to it anyway? If I recall you have problems making a roux so I'll take the dumb comment with a grain of salt (to continue the cooking theme).

You can take your comment on butter up with Eric Ripert.

I had a problem with a single roux about a year and a half ago and pointe out the reason why. 1 of literally hundreds I've made. Weird memory, even more strange to point it out. It's stupid to use Milk for boiling potatoes. you've given no reason for doing so. I'm happy to be wrong.

And no thanks. I use more butter than the average person, he's right, it's just a deceptive comment. Depends on where you're at.

I had a problem with a single roux about a year and a half ago and pointe out the reason why. 1 of literally hundreds I've made. Weird memory, even more strange to point it out. It's stupid to use Milk for boiling potatoes. you've given no reason for doing so. I'm happy to be wrong.

And no thanks. I use more butter than the average person, he's right, it's just a deceptive comment. Depends on where you're at.

This is your post, yes?

'Rouxs are just too unpredictable depending on what you're cooking. 9/10 will be velvety and perfect, then you make one cream-of-broccoli where you don't realize it sunk and then your whole soup is fucked.'

Not to put too fine a point on it but 9 out of 10 is 10% of your roux attempts go wrong. Why would it be weird for me to remember someone involved in the restaurant business exchanging posts with me? You call my post dumb and I counter with the fact you struggle with rouxs...in other words, why should anyone take your dumb comment seriously. After all, it's a personal attack and you also fail to point out why using cream is dumb. There are dozens of recipes online, some from pretty well known chefs, that use this technique. There's also, supposedly, some science behind it.

Regardless, I did provide a reason why but you didn't pick up on it. As to another reason? I just like the flavor and consistency better.

Just make sure to use a ricer for smooth mashed potatoes.

Also a must for us Norwegians to make lefse!

Also grated asiago cheese, cream, butter, roasted garlic, parmesan cheese, chopped parsley. Blend that into your freshly riced Yukon gold potatoes, and you will have a tasty, rich treat.

I pay the person at the KFC register and ask for extra biscuits.

This is your post, yes?

'Rouxs are just too unpredictable depending on what you're cooking. 9/10 will be velvety and perfect, then you make one cream-of-broccoli where you don't realize it sunk and then your whole soup is fucked.'

Not to put too fine a point on it but 9 out of 10 is 10% of your roux attempts go wrong. Why would it be weird for me to remember someone involved in the restaurant business exchanging posts with me? You call my post dumb and I counter with the fact you struggle with rouxs...in other words, why should anyone take your dumb comment seriously. After all, it's a personal attack and you also fail to point out why using cream is dumb. There are dozens of recipes online, some from pretty well known chefs, that use this technique. There's also, supposedly, some science behind it.

Regardless, I did provide a reason why but you didn't pick up on it. As to another reason? I just like the flavor and consistency better.

Tell me what the science is.
And lol @ you quoting a broad, non specific number and accusing me of having trouble making roux.
You're being pretty fucking silly. About as silly as boiling potatoes in milk.
First of all, you said whole milk, not cream. Secondly, i'm all for using warm cream and milk in mashing your potatoes. I'm asking you why you would boil those potatoes in milk. Why?

Last edited:
With the force of an angry god.

Garlic, butter, milk, and pepper. That's all you need! Making them are a fuckin hassle though, as a single guy if I want mash potatoes I am just buy the box stuff.

Roasted garlic, salt, pepper, butter, cream, and parmegiano reggiano cheese

ive always wondered about that. y do most chefs use milk over cream in the mashed potatoes?

Back