Opinion How do we fix our pit bull problem in the United States?

Fix the Pitbull Owner problem first. Then there will be no pitbull problem.

And how in the F do you propose you do that?

Ever hear the phrase: "don't make the perfect the enemy of the good."

A perfect solution that cannot be executed is worthless and shouldn't get in the way of a less ideal solution for the same problem.

Have the owners legally responsible for what their pets do.

If the dog kills a person, charge the owner with murder. If the dog destroys the neighbor's flowerbed, charge the owner with vandalism.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - start holding people accountable for animal attacks as if it was them that attacked the person.

How many absolutely terrible dog owners are out there? Lots. Anyone with a potentially dangerous animal that they do not hold to the utmost highest standards of care for deserve to be punished.

Animals with any documented attacks need to be put down immediately as well. How many of those shelter dogs have attacked other animals or people. A lot, that’s how many.

Too many people are totally irresponsible and then get these animals they can not or will not control. If held accountable, they will fall in line.

https://www.wtvm.com/2022/10/14/daughter-arrested-after-mom-dies-injuries-dog-attack-troup-co/ Hot off the presses

they at least arrested the owner it seems

who would breed a pitbull and mastiff?

The solution I think is to make people much more legally accountable for what their pets do.

Especially the people who walk dogs they couldn't possibly restrain if they had to.

People should also be forced to have a plan to incapacitate their dog if they have to. Carrying dog spray (to use on their own dog) for example.

If you don't have a proper fence around your yard and your dog gets out and hurts someone, that's criminal negligence. And so on.

Have the owners legally responsible for what their pets do.

If the dog kills a person, charge the owner with murder. If the dog destroys the neighbor's flowerbed, charge the owner with vandalism.

That would be hard because animals are unpredictable no matter what.

Yes... but people should still be charged for not mitigating risk any way they can. Including, as I said above, having a means to incapacitate their dog in the event they have to.

And an 80 year old woman should not be legally allowed to walk a dog like a mastiff. I have seen that.

Yes... but people should still be charged for not mitigating risk any way they can. Including, as I said above, having a means to incapacitate their dog in the event they have to.

And an 80 year old woman should not be legally allowed to walk a dog like a mastiff. I have seen that.

Ya, I agree.

That sure are, but pets aren't necessary at all.

I look at this the same way as I see a farmer's livestock. If a cow gets out, and causes a car accident, the farmer should be charged.

That sure are, but pets aren't necessary at all.

I look at this the same way as I see a farmer's livestock. If a cow gets out, and causes a car accident, the farmer should be charged.

Any animal include "pets" can be unpredictable. If a cow did get out and caused a car accident. I'm not sending a farmer to prison who shows that he had proper thing in place in a reasonable way. Why because animals can figure ways of escaping.

But I also understand where your coming from too. We would have a hung jury with man and you lol

Any animal include "pets" can be unpredictable. If a cow did get out and caused a car accident. I'm not sending a farmer to prison who shows that he had proper thing in place in a reasonable way. Why because animals can figure ways of escaping.

But I also understand where your coming from too. We would have a hung jury with man and you lol

Yeah, I agree. But for the record, I didn't say prison, I said charged. I think there should definitely be responsibility and accountability on the farmer's part.

Would you think the farmer is liable at all?

Let's take a step back, what would be your personal view if my dog crossed over to your property and destroyed your wife's flowerbed- say, causing a few hundred dollars worth of damage? Am I on the hook for the damages?

Yeah, I agree. But for the record, I didn't say prison, I said charged. I think there should definitely be responsibility and accountability on the farmer's part.

Would you think the farmer is liable at all?

Let's take a step back, what would be your personal view if my dog crossed over to your property and destroyed your wife's flowerbed- say, causing a few hundred dollars worth of damage? Am I on the hook for the damages?

For the dog yes.

As for the farmer, let's say the cow somehow escaped through a fence and was hit by a car killing the person in the car.

If that farmer never had an animal escape in the time he owned cattle but one finally did and caused a death by a car hitting the animal. I would be ok with a fine but I wouldn't convict him on any charge that set him to prison for that rare accident.

Your point? If they’re that dangerous, they should be restrained at all times adequately and also muzzled in public.

.. and if your animal is that dangerous and unpredictable, is it really sensible to own as a pet?

Your point? If they’re that dangerous, they should be restrained at all times adequately and also muzzled in public.

.. and if your animal is that dangerous and unpredictable, is it really sensible to own as a pet?

My point is that ANY animal can be unpredictable including pets. You can have a powerful breed for years with no incidents then BAM.

If you don't understand that , then I don't know what to tell you lol.

Don’t you know ? There is no dog called put bull according to experts . All these attacks are mutts per them .

My point is that ANY animal can be unpredictable including pets. You can have a powerful breed for years with no incidents then BAM.

If you don't understand that , then I don't know what to tell you lol.
It’s almost as if we can use statistics to predict precisely which types of animals pose more of a threat and which breeds require the most special attention.

I mean, one particular breed for example has more attacks than the rest combined. Would it not be sensible to say that that breed in question should require stricter guidelines for care? And that improperly caring for that particular breed is a danger to society?

I don’t know about you but I’d rather run the risk of making some irresponsible white trash muzzle their dogs or build proper enclosures than I would watch another child get it’s face ripped off by a dog bred to fight.

It’s almost as if we can use statistics to predict precisely which types of animals pose more of a threat and which breeds require the most special attention.

I mean, one particular breed for example has more attacks than the rest combined. Would it not be sensible to say that that breed in question should require stricter guidelines for care? And that improperly caring for that particular breed is a danger to society?

I don’t know about you but I’d rather run the risk of making some irresponsible white trash muzzle their dogs or build proper enclosures than I would watch another child get it’s face ripped off by a dog bred to fight.

I definitely agree overall with you about pits being more regulated. My point was for other breeds who can kill, German Shepard , rotties and other bigger dogs. Any of those can pop off too. But ya I know what your saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back