How do we feel about the #1 ranking at HW?

@snaportap21 - thats understandable, then as of right now he isnt the best guy, will he return to #1? Probably not, beating Ferreria who is ranked #20, he is on a nice win streak but he lost 3 times in a row, two that got eventually overturned cause his opponents tested positive, Ngannou probably lands as #2, he is ranked #11.
I can see that. I'm just not sure it makes sense to rank anyone ahead of Francis once he comes back because he had the top spot and hasn't lost in mma just yet and is the lineal champ. Beating the guy means something. On top of that, Gane is a better win than any name on Tom's resume, same thing with champ Stipe coming off of the DC wins.

I'm saying this now.
If Jon retires after Stipe Francis is coming back to the UFC.
that's certainly a hot take. are you sure that's possible? i'd think the pfl would do their best to keep such a great asset in Francis. where's that thought process come from?

UFC HW division is possibly the worst it has ever been right now.

It’s a travesty.
it's certainly bad right now, but it's nowhere near bad as the days after frank mir had his motorcycle accident and tim sylvia and arlovski were the only two fighting for the belt. couture on a two fight losing streak at lhw came up and beat tim for 5 rounds. are you sure it's worse that then?

I can see that. I'm just not sure it makes sense to rank anyone ahead of Francis once he comes back because he had the top spot and hasn't lost in mma just yet and is the lineal champ. Beating the guy means something. On top of that, Gane is a better win than any name on Tom's resume, same thing with champ Stipe coming off of the DC wins.
According to sherdog beating Gane means shit... i was expecting Ngannou to be ranked higher than 11, just below Tom who has been pretty active, he will move up a few spots, most likely top 3, its 1 fight in almost like 3 years time.

According to sherdog beating Gane means shit... i was expecting Ngannou to be ranked higher than 11, just below Tom who has been pretty active, he will move up a few spots, most likely top 3, its 1 fight in almost like 3 years time.
That never made much sense to me. Spivac is one of the best grapplers at HW and he couldn't get Gane anywhere near the ground. Francis outwrestled Stipe in their rematch so it shows far Francis has come in his grappling. On top of that the element of surprise helped Francis get Gane down. He definitely didn't prepare for D1 Ngannou. On top of that, in the final round Gane took Francis down and lost position at the end due to going for a heel hook. Gane is most certainly elite and better than any name on Tom's resume.

And Francis being ranked 11 makes sense Tapology probably just values activity. It would make more sense just to take him out of the list due to inactivity instead of dropping him like that. Tyburia ahead of Francis is a headscratcher.

It's not quite 3 years yet to be fair. His win against Gane was at the start of 2022. He's still they guy that beat the guy and hasn't lost since and hasn't been out for and extremely long period of time. He should still be the guy when he comes back.

lol apparently defending the title one time makes you the best HW on the planet, even if you dont fight in the sport for the next three years. Jones is probably trying to milk that the same way if he beat's stipe's corpse.

Since Francis had that tragic accident in which a fucking anvil fell on his head I don't think he would beat Stipe, Jones or Aspinal.

Until he loses in mma he’s the lineal champ. And how can Francis possibly be 43 years old? I don’t see the logic there. He isn’t that old he’s 37.
“That motherfucker is at least 40,” Lewis later added. “They say he was homeless so he probably don’t even know. Tell me where his birth certificate is at."

“He’s 40 man, juiced up. They say he’s younger than me, there’s no way he’s younger than me.”

640px-Derrick_Lewis_after_UFC_239.jpg

So much bullshit could be stopped so easily. Defend your belt within 9 months MAXIMUM, or it is declared vacant.

Hilarious <lol>Sherdoggery

Jones is not the rightful champion because Francis still is!!

Jon retires. Well you know, Francis is old and stuff. Tom is the rightful champion now!! <lol>

that's certainly a hot take. are you sure that's possible? i'd think the pfl would do their best to keep such a great asset in Francis. where's that thought process come from?
UFC can buy Francis from pfl and have him right once and make their money back.
I just happen to believe Dana when he said that Francis priced himself out of the Jon fight because deep down Francis understood that there was a chance that Jon could beat him and he needed to make sure he made enough money on that fight because a loss would hurt his future ability to make top dollar for a fight.

That never made much sense to me. Spivac is one of the best grapplers at HW and he couldn't get Gane anywhere near the ground. Francis outwrestled Stipe in their rematch so it shows far Francis has come in his grappling. On top of that the element of surprise helped Francis get Gane down. He definitely didn't prepare for D1 Ngannou. On top of that, in the final round Gane took Francis down and lost position at the end due to going for a heel hook. Gane is most certainly elite and better than any name on Tom's resume.

And Francis being ranked 11 makes sense Tapology probably just values activity. It would make more sense just to take him out of the list due to inactivity instead of dropping him like that. Tyburia ahead of Francis is a headscratcher.

It's not quite 3 years yet to be fair. His win against Gane was at the start of 2022. He's still they guy that beat the guy and hasn't lost since and hasn't been out for and extremely long period of time. He should still be the guy when he comes back.
Correct, when his fight happens is still a few months short of the 3 years mark, but like i said, they probably wont have him #1 cause he will be beating #20.

it's certainly bad right now, but it's nowhere near bad as the days after frank mir had his motorcycle accident and tim sylvia and arlovski were the only two fighting for the belt. couture on a two fight losing streak at lhw came up and beat tim for 5 rounds. are you sure it's worse that then?
Yup, worse.

Stipe, Jon, and Francis are all unranked by fight matrix since all of them have been inactive for 450+ days.
Tom Aspinall is the #1 HW in the world, eventually the lineal title will be reunified, its only a matter of time and circumstance.

No, that is not how it works.

Even if that were true, there is nothing Francis can do in the PFL to keep that ranking, if it was his.

Which it isnt.
He beat that guy that was the guy. Francis hasn’t lost since then either. That’s exactly how being the lineal champ works.

Correct, when his fight happens is still a few months short of the 3 years mark, but like i said, they probably wont have him #1 cause he will be beating #20.
Those tapology rankings have Renan at 20 and bader at 19 above him despite losing to him. Renan is certainly higher ranked than 20. Fight matrix has him ranked at #10. Beating a top 10 guy is enough to put Francis back on top because he never lost and would be fighting someone in the top 10.

Stipe, Jon, and Francis are all unranked by fight matrix since all of them have been inactive for 450+ days.
Tom Aspinall is the #1 HW in the world, eventually the lineal title will be reunified, its only a matter of time and circumstance.
If Francis beats Ferreira he’ll have had a top 10 win and should probably be ahead of Tom in specially if Gane is still ranked #2. Francis will have a better resume than Tom by a long shot.

Hilarious <lol>Sherdoggery

Jones is not the rightful champion because Francis still is!!

Jon retires. Well you know, Francis is old and stuff. Tom is the rightful champion now!! <lol>
Whether you realize it or not, Francis is the lineal champ. It’s not sherdogger logic it’s the reality of the situation.

“That motherfucker is at least 40,” Lewis later added. “They say he was homeless so he probably don’t even know. Tell me where his birth certificate is at."

“He’s 40 man, juiced up. They say he’s younger than me, there’s no way he’s younger than me.”

640px-Derrick_Lewis_after_UFC_239.jpg
Lewis said it, it has to be facts 😂.

Back