Social How did your Thanksgiving political discussions with family go?

oddly enough, there was no politics talk aside from some discussing how to deal with inflation, it was mostly business and how to make more money <Lmaoo>
random college talk for the older kids and what not, dont get too focused on things that you cant change.

Your family thinks inflation is a problem? What do you think of that @Jack V Savage?

seriously, who talks politics with family?

no talk about poitics, money, or religion at my table

The whole 'no politics or religion at the table' thing feels like a hokey old timey thing but I think it's actually a really good example of how our generatiom has become so removed from what made our society great - shared culture, community and family values.

It wasn't just some arbitrary rule, it was how previous generations survived as families. It's why you meet people nowadays that don't talk to their families. They forgot the golden rule and it tore their family apart.

We (and our parents' generation) have forgotten or disregarded the things our grandparents taught us and we are paying for it as a society.

The whole 'no politics or religion at the table' thing feels like a hokey old timey thing but I think it's actually a really good example of how our generatiom has become so removed from what made our society great - shared culture, community and family values.

It wasn't just some arbitrary rule, it was how previous generations survived as families. It's why you meet people nowadays that don't talk to their families. They forgot the golden rule and it tore their family apart.

We (and our parents' generation) have forgotten or disregarded the things our grandparents taught us and we are paying for it as a society.

Interesting. I had not heard that before. I only know that my grandparents who were born i the depression, we never talked about that stuff.

Good topic…my folks watch NewsMax but have turned on Trump. An interesting combo. Yeah, the holiday sucked outside of watching foosball. Mostly heavy drinking and getting pissed.

Good topic…my folks watch NewsMax but have turned on Trump. An interesting combo. Yeah, the holiday sucked outside of watching foosball. Mostly heavy drinking and getting pissed.

Do you mean football? We play foosball too, and, yeah, watched some football.

Do you mean football? We play foosball too, and, yeah, watched some football.
Our name for football. You have to say it like Kathy Bates in the Waterboy for full effect…. ‘All these garganchins…all man-handling one anotha’. My boy ain’t exactly what you call ‘college matewial…’

My FIL didnt show up as he got sick, he's usually the one who cannot resist bringing g up religion (hes is very very Catholic and spends lots of his free time at Church with the choir), and politics. He doesnt get butt-hurt by me, though. Sometimes some of the conspiracy theorists in the Family will get butt-hurt from a far if I pick that sh*t apart to him in real time

Hehe. So…my wife and I went to my family’s for Thanksgiving a couple years ago. We pull up in our rental car, and we see a car with a Quanon sticker on it right away. ‘Baby, buckle up, it’s going to be interesting..’. As my Aunt proceeded to tell us how the Bank of England secretly controlled world events…. ‘Mom! More whiskey and beer for the table please!’

Hehe. So…my wife and I went to my family’s for Thanksgiving a couple years ago. We pull up in our rental car, and we see a car with a Quanon sticker on it right away. ‘Baby, buckle up, it’s going to be interesting..’. As my Aunt proceeded to tell us how the Bank of England secretly controlled world events…. ‘Mom! More whiskey and beer for the table please!’

My MIL got heavy into QAnon before she passed. I think it was a combination of being one of a handful of brown people in a very sh*tty (and far right) AZ town, where people insisted on referring to her as Indian, she was Puerto Rican, and being isolated. She was into paganism and wiccan stuff, fantasy artist who always had aspirations of working at Jim Henson studios. One year for Christmas she told my wife she didn't buy any gifts for us and my wife was upset by it. It was a prank, she showed up with a miniature Harry Potter trunk that she made by hand, with the entire book series inside, the large hardbacks. Anyway as she was ill with cancer and didnt know it she was terminally online and through crunchy essential oil and life coaching sites she found her way to QAnon. She always liked conspiracy theories and always seemed to believe there was a nefarious "they" behind everything she didnt like. The last years prior to her passing she was Doomsday prepping.

But my FIL is the one who picked the arguments. He's a devout "life begins at conception, sex is only for procreation" Catholic conservative despite his involvement in fringe religions (cults) in his youth. But he seems to respect my mind a d will often bring up political points to me. My wife hates it even though I'm very kind to him. Most of his current positions are born of personal insecurities he's always had.

Non existent because the libs in my family only shriek if they're told to and the conservatives are right so what's there to say? A couple of virtue signaling comments about the latest booster received or talking about how they can't wait to travel with their still unborn child once they get vaccinated. We mostly laughed at that shit quietly.

You haven’t seen that where people post their Big Mac value meal or Chicken McNuggets…and say ‘Thanks Biden.’

No. I'm not on whatever racist Facebook groups you're on that shits on poor minorities for eating McDonalds.

We had a bunch of politics related jokes going on. My Uncle recently successfully donated his kidney to his brother who had kidney failure. The donor has been republican his whole life while the recipient liberal.

We joked that now that he had a good old fashioned republican kidney in him he’d finally pull himself up by his bootstraps. In this surgery they don’t remove the failed kidneys so now my uncle has 3. I joked “now that there’s a republican kidney in there it won’t be a liberal eco chamber between those two failures.“

The jokes went on for a few minutes but that’s as far as we will go into politics usually.

I think we just talked about farting and then got yelled at by the women for talking about farting at the dinner table.

No politics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back