• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How did Eddie Bravo get to be an expert commentator at early UFC with zero credentials?

Didn’t he commentate on KOTC around the same time he appeared on UFC broadcasts?

MMA was closer to backyard wrestling than a NBA game.

I miss Brian killmeade and that guy with the feathered bangs. This is Pre Jeff blatnik.

Because - Bravo by armbar.
Or rubber guard.

No way. He was younger in the clip I Saw. Strange thing is, he didn't comment on jiujitsu... More of an overall commentator lol.

That's like putting one of you out there.
You said it was in the early 2000's. Bravo beat Royler at 2003. How can you be so sure it wasnt after that?

Are you guys fucking serious? I can’t tell if this is a joke, but he was one of the better American bjj representatives at the time and knew Rogan through training and Jj machado

The canvas is flat, the world is flat. They needed an flat earth expert!

Jim Brown commentator at an early UFC didn't he? That'd be like Adrien Peterson doing it today. By comparison Bravo is great.

There's zero mention of it when they introduced him and he does look a few years younger.
What event are you talking about? I remember him commentating a little, I think he did the between rounds breakdowns for at least one event, but I can’t find what events they were and I don’t remember.

Thing is, he qualified for the world championships (albeit at the brown belt level) in 2002, and on the underground bjj community he was known for starting his own style and pioneering the rubber guard since he was a purple belt I think in 1999 so I would say any event that took place in the 2000s he was probably rightly regarded as an expert at least in the grappling.

Especially given the state of the sport at the time, he may not have been the absolute most knowledgeable person but he certainly would have been solid by the early mid 2000s.

What event are you talking about? I remember him commentating a little, I think he did the between rounds breakdowns for at least one event, but I can’t find what events they were and I don’t remember.

Thing is, he qualified for the world championships (albeit at the brown belt level) in 2002, and on the underground bjj community he was known for starting his own style and pioneering the rubber guard since he was a purple belt I think in 1999 so I would say any event that took place in the 2000s he was probably rightly regarded as an expert at least in the grappling.

Especially given the state of the sport at the time, he may not have been the absolute most knowledgeable person but he certainly would have been solid by the early mid 2000s.

I guess it was later than I first thought. It felt like late 90s. The internet claims it was early 2000 when he started

I guess it was later than I first thought. It felt like late 90s. The internet claims it was early 2000 when he started
Yeah that’s what I saw too, I’d really like to nail down what events he worked though because I remember him doing it but I don’t recall what fights or anything that would allow me to connect it to a date.

Mostly I remember Joe quoting Bravo and being hilariously wrong on a couple of occasions but I know Eddie didn’t work those events.

“According to my friend, Eddie Bravo, Mayhems Jiu Jitsu is light years ahead of Georges.”- GSP vs Mayhem Miller

“Eddie was telling me that while Both Mir and Nogueira are black belts Nogueiras Jiu Jitsu is a Notch above Frank Mirs”- Mir vs Nog 1

Back