• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did PEDs make Barry Bonds a better baseball player?

Did PEDs make Barry Bonds a better baseball player?

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even before he took steroids, he had a great hand and eye coordination and phenomenal baseball hitting fundamentals.

I guess the roids made his swing faster. But his skills and abilities was always there.

The swinging of the bat faster perhaps made have more homeruns than he probably should have had.

But saying all that, was he better baseball player because of PEDs?

Thoughts?

1050762112_f9bcd6e6c1_w.jpg

Better? Of course, even if they only helped him recover faster.
Did they make him one of the best players ever? Absolutely not. It doesn't take much power to hit home runs, it comes form perfect contact with the ball. That's not something you can get from PEDs. It's simply skill and practice.

Neither Major League Baseball nor the United States Government was ever able to prove Barry took anything illegal or performance enhancing, even though they both desperately tried, so I hope you realize your viciously besmirching an innocent man right now

More skilled? No.

More powerful, faster recovery from training, and looking like a completely different person in the last quarter of his career? Absolutely.

He would have been a first round ballot hall of famer had he not taken any peds.

is this serious questinn every sport in america is ped prominant in every decade. and YES with out peds bonds would be like he was before peds not stand out from other players

It probably allowed him to stay healthy enough to play into almost his mid 40’s and capture the home run record.

I think after Game of Shadows came out and he probably got off the sauce for the last 2-3 years. His hitting didn’t really suffer but he did start having trouble staying in the lineup due to injuries. He lost nearly an entire year before he broke the record, which was also an injury plagued season.

It no question made him more powerful but not a better player. It didn’t bring back his top base stealer speed or gold glove defense. He was always one of the top sluggers and got on base better than everybody.

But if he didn’t use steroid he might’ve broken down around his mid to late 30’s like most guys do.

You hear a lot of athletes who actually own up to steroid use mostly attribute it to helping them physically stay on the field or ring whatever. The skill is there and maybe at its peak, but the body fails them. Thats where steroids come in

However, Bonds swing and hand eye coordination were second to none. You can’t inject that he’s the best I’ve ever seen.

As far as home runs went, he only had one year that was suspiciously way above average. His 71 home run season. The rest is more due to his longevity, similar to Hank Aaron who is arguably not the greatest slugger of all time but maintained a certain level for over 20 years when most top sluggers have a decade tops.

Barry Bonds got one good pitch to hit per game and he rarely missed it. Steroid don’t give you that. He should be in the hall of fame. Especially considering the era he played in using steroids wasn’t truly an edge. The team he lost to in the World Series was almost exclusively gasheads.

Bonds could’ve been a Part time player DH until he was 50 and hit over 900 home runs. Even after he turned 50 there was a story of him out slugging Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich in Miami Marlins batting practice. Stanton seemed to confirm.

Bonds was blackballed from the game after he broke the record because MLB wanted to conserve the record for the “clean” Alex Rodriguez to eventually break.

A-Rod would’ve broke the record too…If he didn’t spend much of the third act of his career serving suspensions for steroids.

Last edited:
Of course it did. And he was a beast before that. But the advantages of peds like the ones he took basically made him a machine.

It probably allowed him to stay healthy enough to play into almost his mid 40’s and capture the home run record.

I think after Game of Shadows came out and he probably got off the sauce for the last 2-3 years. His hitting didn’t really suffer but he did start having trouble staying in the lineup due to injuries. He lost nearly an entire year before he broke the record, which was also an injury plagued season.

It no question made him more powerful but not a better player. It didn’t bring back his top base stealer speed or gold glove defense. He was always one of the top sluggers and got on base better than everybody.

But if he didn’t use steroid he might’ve broken down around his mid to late 30’s like most guys do.

You hear a lot of athletes who actually own up to steroid use mostly attribute it to helping them physically stay on the field or ring whatever. The skill is there and maybe at its peak, but the body fails them. Thats where steroids come in

However, Bonds swing and hand eye coordination were second to none. You can’t inject that he’s the best I’ve ever seen.

As far as home runs went, he only had one year that was suspiciously way above average. His 71 home run season. The rest is more due to his longevity, similar to Hank Aaron who is arguably not the greatest slugger of all time but maintained a certain level for over 20 years when most top sluggers have a decade tops.

Barry Bonds got one good pitch to hit per game and he rarely missed it. Steroid don’t give you that. He should be in the hall of fame. Especially considering the era he played in using steroids wasn’t truly an edge. The team he lost to in the World Series was almost exclusively gasheads.

Bonds could’ve been a Part time player DH until he was 50 and hit over 900 home runs. Even after he turned 50 there was a story of him out slugging Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich in Miami Marlins batting practice. Stanton seemed to confirm.

Bonds was blackballed from the game after he broke the record because MLB wanted to conserve the record for the “clean” Alex Rodriguez to eventually break.

A-Rod would’ve broke the record too…If he didn’t spend much of the third act of his career serving suspensions for steroids.
lol so peds did not make him from skinny player to jaked up. in what world does a skiny 180 lb players has better power then 230lb player

lol so peds did not make him from skinny player to jaked up. in what world does a skiny 180 lb players has better power then 230lb player

Pretty sure I said the exact opposite of that. Maybe try reading it again.

Pretty sure I said the exact opposite of that. Maybe try reading it again.
Read it enough you made it spund like he has good speed ans mechanics he would hit as many home runs as he was on peds. If he was pre peds bonds he would be ichiro

Read it enough you made it spund like he has good speed ans mechanics he would hit as many home runs as he was on peds. If he was pre peds bonds he would be ichiro

Clearly not enough. Try reading it one more time.

I said it no question enhanced his power and longevity allowing him to capture the home run record.

He would’ve likely finished between 600-700 without. Probably closer to 600 than 700.

That’s still among all time great status. I did say I felt he was a better all around player before he blew up. As far as defense and baserunning.

Bonds absolutely did have great mechanics and bat speed at every point of his career. Steroid have nothing to do with mechanics, hand eye coordination, and pitch recognition. Bonds never swung at dogshit

And what about Ichiro? At no point of Bonds career was his game similar to Ichiro. I hope you weren’t suggesting Bonds would have Ichiro’s power numbers without the sauce. Thats disproved by about 14-15 seasons of pre-steroids Bonds. He was pretty much better in every way except hitting singles. Telling as Ichiro only had an OBP over .400 once in his career and it’s the year he hit over .370. Bonds averaged significantly higher than Ichiro’s career best in 16-17 of his seasons

Last edited:
Back