How are we supposed to take WMMA seriously...

... there have been many fighters that were hyped in the same way as McMann. And disappointed many with their supposed specialty, just like McMann.

Why won't you children realize that this also happens in MMA?

She has been hyped and yes it does also happen in mma, which I didn't see anyone denying it. McMann actually has Olympic credentials though, she went, she trained at the OTC, which as a wrestler myself is no fucking joke, and leagues above the average mma style wrestling training you find at a decent number of gyms.

The TS's point is valid, to a degree. I have not seen one of these white-knight wmma apologist provide any logical responses. Just emotional ones.

Wmma is close to a decade behind current mma as far as depth of talent and technique goes. There a few, it's just not developed yet, it's still young.

Wmma is close to a decade behind current mma as far as depth of talent and technique goes. There a few, it's just not developed yet, it's still young.

Very fair & that is something i don't think too many would argue
But going to the extreme that it sucks (lack of better word) is insipid

Greatness, ha...the same as we already saw in Royce. And everyone still thinks of Royce as the best fighter, right?

I don't see how I 'hypocrisize' if I don't want to watch women fight. Ronda shouldn't fight Cyborg. If I ruled the world, she wouldn't fight at all. I don't like seeing women harmed.

I guess you think I'm a dick because I don't like it when women are getting punched in the face. Sorry dude, we're just going to have to disagree on this issue. I'm not going to try to persuade you to my side, because I don't know you and don't care to get to know you. If you like seeing women getting beaten and having battered faces, more power to you.

I do not. I realize that the womans battle is in giving birth, a fight that is both lethal and one so painful that guys can not imagine it. True, some women don't have kids...but it doesn't change the fact that men are born stronger to fight, and women are born to birth children.

Call it sexist all you want. But I will buy the UFC PPV's with my fav fighters.

And I bet you will too...

If you don't want to watch them fight...don't. But you felt the need to proclaim your awesomeness, and instead this thread got you shat upon by everyone. Then you revealed your own true premise, and you look even more ridiculous.

Very fair & that is something i don't think too many would argue
But going to the extreme that it sucks (lack of better word) is insipid

I see what you are saying, and I agree. But I don't have many conversations with people who are logical about it. They say that Ronda's competition has all been really legit and she could have lost to any of them lol. In my opinion Ronda is the only really athletic girl in the 135 pound division, that also that has a style that exposes the TDD and ground game of everybody else.

Ronda will go down as one of the best in wmma, but I think it's more realistically in a Royce Gracie sort of way. But in 10 years we are going to see more athletic girls who could be doing other sports choosing to do wmma, and I think whoever rules the division then will be deserving of more credit.

Oh shut the fuck up! These annoying cry baby threads are fucking embarrassing. What kind of man cries like this about bullshit?!

If you are so tired of WMMA stop watching it dumbass.

I would never watch WMMA if it wasn't forced upon me between normal MMA fights. I can't believe hardcore fans of the sport actually want these amateur matches on the cards they watch.

I will "STFU and stop complaining" when the UFC stops putting these hilariously awful WMMA fights on the PPVs I buy.

You don't get many objections to this because there are none. It's true. That doesn't change the fact that many of us enjoy the women's side of the game. Regardless of how far behind they are right now, you're still seeing the best women in the world, and that means something. Give me the top 10 women in the world going at it over two top 150 joe-blow men I've never heard of. The men could very-well be better, but it doesn't matter, because relatively speaking they don't mean much. Seeing the best of the best in a given weight and now gender are why many of us watch the UFC. People who sit back and compare the women to the men as a means to disqualify them is as stupid as disqualifying lightweights because they can be beat up by heavyweights. It's a different division for very obvious reasons and both deserve to be judged amongst their peer group.

The problem is people have this asinine idea that the women's game can't catch up to the men's game. That somehow, women are intellectually and athletically incapable of being good fighters. I'm not saying you're going to get better fighters than the men's side, because there is an obvious discrepancy physically between men and women. But, what you can get are damn good fighters, fighters that can have excellent technique and be everything a good fighter can and should be without being in a male's body. People think this is impossible somehow and it's annoying and ignorant.

The women's division will improve. It needs time, just like the men's division did. Relax, take a chill pill, and enjoy watching the best women in the world compete. If you can't enjoy that, you're not trying hard enough.

You're not supposed to take it seriously...just look for ass and enjoy the feminizing of mma and men in general.

She has been hyped and yes it does also happen in mma, which I didn't see anyone denying it. McMann actually has Olympic credentials though, she went, she trained at the OTC, which as a wrestler myself is no fucking joke, and leagues above the average mma style wrestling training you find at a decent number of gyms.

The TS's point is valid, to a degree. I have not seen one of these white-knight wmma apologist provide any logical responses. Just emotional ones.

Great argument!

I love both mens and women's MMA. But I find it funny that you have to narrow your reasons to talent and technique yet neither one makes a great fight to watch.

We just watch Teixeira do the same thing to OSP that Bader already did. So maybe you can give us all of those impressive abilities of OSP and why he isn't part of this same subject since he was in the MAIN EVENT. But we won't see that because it is much easier to diminish women's MMA regarding its loser when there are no negative comments being argued about the winner Amanda Nunes who has 11 finishes in her 11 wins.

Instead we'll attack the Silver medal winner for a sport that isn't the same as MMA. There are plenty of people who have talents in one sport but don't do so great in another. Miesha Tate is a better wrestler than McMann and she never participated in the Olympics. And winning the Olympics for a particular year may mean less if the competition that year was weak. But feel free to rationalize to create your bias.

Mcmann was supposed to outwrestle ronda. can't believe she won a medal. she looks awful

You don't get many objections to this because there are none. It's true. That doesn't change the fact that many of us enjoy the women's side of the game. Regardless of how far behind they are right now, you're still seeing the best women in the world, and that means something. Give me the top 10 women in the world going at it over two top 150 joe-blow men I've never heard of. The men could very-well be better, but it doesn't matter, because relatively speaking they don't mean much. Seeing the best of the best in a given weight and now gender are why many of us watch the UFC. People who sit back and compare the women to the men as a means to disqualify them is as stupid as disqualifying lightweights because they can be beat up by heavyweights. It's a different division for very obvious reasons and both deserve to be judged amongst their peer group.

The problem is people have this asinine idea that the women's game can't catch up to the men's game. That somehow, women are intellectually and athletically incapable of being good fighters. I'm not saying you're going to get better fighters than the men's side, because there is an obvious discrepancy physically between men and women. But, what you can get are damn good fighters, fighters that can have excellent technique and be everything a good fighter can and should be without being in a male's body. People think this is impossible somehow and it's annoying and ignorant.

The women's division will improve. It needs time, just like the men's division did. Relax, take a chill pill, and enjoy watching the best women in the world compete. If you can't enjoy that, you're not trying hard enough.

This should end the thread, but it won't

Great post my man

Mcmann was supposed to outwrestle ronda. can't believe she won a medal. she looks awful

Who thought McMann was going to "out wrestle" Ronda? Not if they actually knew anything about high level grappling.

Women's Judo is monstrously deeper than Women's Wrestling. That doesn't mean that McMann's grappling wasn't legit, just that expecting her to be out grappling Rousey is a really, really high expectation when McMann's sport was far newer with far fewer participants.

I see what you are saying, and I agree. But I don't have many conversations with people who are logical about it. They say that Ronda's competition has all been really legit and she could have lost to any of them lol. In my opinion Ronda is the only really athletic girl in the 135 pound division, that also that has a style that exposes the TDD and ground game of everybody else.

Ronda will go down as one of the best in wmma, but I think it's more realistically in a Royce Gracie sort of way. But in 10 years we are going to see more athletic girls who could be doing other sports choosing to do wmma, and I think whoever rules the division then will be deserving of more credit.

Hey man, since you seem like a rational poster ...
Did you have bias coming into WMMA (in UFC)?
I mean were you already against it (partially or fully) from that (UFC) start?

I wasn't interested until I saw Tate win the SF belt (I enjoyed that fight a lot) & then I watched her & Ronda & obviously Ronda kicked ass, but I thought Tate had a lot of heart
Next fight I saw was Tate's 3 rd war with Kedzie & then I said "I am watching WMMA".

If I came in with my mind already made up, I know human nature enough to know I might not have been as open to those fights & I think all of them were worthy of praise!

We'd all prefer WMMA leap 20 years into the future TS.

Unfortunately they have to earn their way just like the men did.

Seems obvious to me but whatever.

I would never watch WMMA if it wasn't forced upon me between normal MMA fights. I can't believe hardcore fans of the sport actually want these amateur matches on the cards they watch.

I will "STFU and stop complaining" when the UFC stops putting these hilariously awful WMMA fights on the PPVs I buy.

Then take your medicine, if you insist on whining about it in public.

Oh shut the fuck up! These annoying cry baby threads are fucking embarrassing. What kind of man cries like this about bullshit?!

If you are so tired of WMMA stop watching it dumbass.

Nikki layin' the verbal smack down :D

Hey, TS... remember Ogawa? Silver medalist in Judo. Also went 7-0 before taking on a GOAT.

So maybe stfu a little?

...when the 'best' wrestler in the division (silver medalist) shows HORRIBLE takedowns? I mean my god...McMann couldn't have been more in on her hips, and she still wasn't able to get her down or even force her backwards...just awful.

The competition in WMMA is an absolute joke. The women who fight or have fought Rousey are just nothing in terms of competition. Every time a women wins a fight at 135lbs they make it seem like she has a chance at the title. It's such a joke. Might as well line up kung fu fighters against Royce Gracie, it's that ridiculous...

They are girls. Of course they figh like girls.

If you can't understand that, then WMMA isn't for you.

I don't like it because I don't like to see women get beaten up. But I admire their fighting spirit and their aggressiveness.

I wish male fighters fought with that kind of fire today.

I understand why people like WMMA, just hate it when they hype female fighters like they can beat anybody up.

Hey man, since you seem like a rational poster ...
Did you have bias coming into WMMA (in UFC)?
I mean were you already against it (partially or fully) from that (UFC) start?

I wasn't interested until I saw Tate win the SF belt (I enjoyed that fight a lot) & then I watched her & Ronda & obviously Ronda kicked ass, but I thought Tate had a lot of heart
Next fight I saw was Tate's 3 rd war with Kedzie & then I said "I am watching WMMA".

If I came in with my mind already made up, I know human nature enough to know I might not have been as open to those fights & I think all of them were worthy of praise!

You seem like a rational poster too, which is scarce on Sherdog these days.

I didn't really think too much of the move, besides "Who's Ronda going to fight?" I watched Gina back in the day, and I admit it was because she was gorgeous, but the first time I saw her stand up I was super impressed. Like her punches and kicks, at least compared to the girls she was fighting looked so crisp and sharp. That made me look up all her other fights I could find too.

That's when I became a fan, and I only get annoyed when the hype-train goes off the rails like Ronda's has. Nobody puts it within context of the time period that it's in right now.

Like I love Joanna Champion, she is amazing, has very crisp technique, and is good for marketing too. I watch a good amount of the women's fights, but there are a lot where I don't.

Back