How are we supposed to take WMMA seriously...

I'm shocked Sara is not better TBH. Her pedigree as a grappler is stellar, she trains hard and is in great shape. Her hands are much better than they used to be as well. But she just has not put it together like she should be. She looks hesitant and indecisive. At almost 35 her window is sadly probably already closed..

I'm shocked Sara is not better TBH. Her pedigree as a grappler is stellar, she trains hard and is in great shape. Her hands are much better than they used to be as well. But she just has not put it together like she should be. She looks hesitant and indecisive. At almost 35 her window is sadly probably already closed..

Does she even train at a modern day gym? I get the vibe she doesn't take her training as serious as I would like.

there isn't a playoff/tournament format in the ufc and that format never works well due to injuries. i don't see how that makes mma or the ufc's version of mma "not a real sport"--it still involves legitimate, sanctioned competition. you just don't like who is fighting whomever. i don't get your hangup.

It has nothing to do with who I like fighting whom, it's how they come up with those matchups that defies sport. The UFC manipulates their ranking system to promote fighters as legit contenders and title challengers or to build up certain fighters by improving the ranking of their opponents.

Dana Baldfather and LoFert grant title shots based on who can make them the most money, then mess with the rankings and matchups to get that person his or her air time. They also do it based on who kisses their asses the most and who tows the company line best. Sports is supposed to be a meritocracy, and the UFC is anything but that. Lately they haven't even bothered to justify some of their matchups, they just announce them and fans have gotten so used to their bs that they just accept it.

It has nothing to do with who I like fighting whom, it's how they come up with those matchups that defies sport. The UFC manipulates their ranking system to promote fighters as legit contenders and title challengers or to build up certain fighters by improving the ranking of their opponents.

Dana Baldfather and LoFert grant title shots based on who can make them the most money, then mess with the rankings and matchups to get that person his or her air time. They also do it based on who kisses their asses the most and who tows the company line best. Sports is supposed to be a meritocracy, and the UFC is anything but that. Lately they haven't even bothered to justify some of their matchups, they just announce them and fans have gotten so used to their bs that they just accept it.

dude. take your meds.

I'm astonished people can dismiss the blatant manipulation of rankings and records to justify matchups and title shots as "some stupid problem". The fact that a champion faces an undeserving opponent makes it not a sport. Of course you will reply with "the champion has to stay active" or "who else is he/she supposed to fight" but that's more bs rationalization to support a corrupt system. It's even worse that the UFC then promotes that obviously unworthy opponent as if they are a legit opponent and not just the default choice.

How do you not understand that individual sports are different?

If Tiger is winning a PGA event and gets injured....someone else wins.

If a tennis player gets injured.....their opponent gets a buy.

If Tom Brady gets injured....a back up steps in and plays. The whole team doesn't sit out for 6 months.

Fucking tard.

In fighting if #2 just fought, #3,4 are scheduled and #5 is injured.....then #6 can get a title shot. It's all about timing and injuries.

If you're that hung up on rankings and that its "not a sport" then why the fuck are you in the UFC section on the internet?

Why don't you go to a real sports forum?

Does she even train at a modern day gym? I get the vibe she doesn't take her training as serious as I would like.

Her main gym is Revolution which is on par with where Stephen Thompson trains as both gyms are about an hour apart in South Carolina. During her camps she also spends time in Marcelo Garcia's gym in NYC. I think people are being unfair to Sara. She just ran into a buzzsaw named Amanda Nunes.

I honestly can't believe this thread is still going. I was drinking after the fights last night and talked some shit about WMMA...I barely remember being on here, haha. I'm not saying I don't believe (most) of what I said, but I wouldn't be such a dick about it.

But by all means, keep the craziness going guys...

Mcmann looks like she just isnt cut out to take strikes

I think everyone assumed that Sara McMann would be a dominant takedown artist in MMA due to her wrestling credentials...myself included. While she has shown some great ability, she hasn't dominated at that upper echelon of the division. Sometimes skills from other sports just don't translate as well to MMA. It's happened to countless male prospects. That, and Nunes is a skilled fighter that has shown continuous improvement. Such a sweeping generalization for all of WMMA is a little callous.

I never take the womens fight serious. its amatuer level. none of them have any skill, Ronda is the best of a really terrible talent pool. Mccann is a wrestler but she actually has no idea how to do takedowns, she can never get them lol, always stuffed. its embarrassing to watch.

...when the 'best' wrestler in the division (silver medalist) shows HORRIBLE takedowns? I mean my god...McMann couldn't have been more in on her hips, and she still wasn't able to get her down or even force her backwards...just awful.

The competition in WMMA is an absolute joke. The women who fight or have fought Rousey are just nothing in terms of competition. Every time a women wins a fight at 135lbs they make it seem like she has a chance at the title. It's such a joke. Might as well line up kung fu fighters against Royce Gracie, it's that ridiculous...

Yes, it's just like the Olympics. I watched all these bitches run, but then Usain Bolt ran, and it's like these chicks were on a completely inferior level.

The crazy part is that watching the fastest women in the world was just as interesting as watching the fastest men because I'm not a caveman, and I don't expect women to be physically equal to men. I can watch spud web dunk a basketball, and say "that's crazy" without saying "Jordan' could dunk better" like a fucking retard.

You see where I'm going with this?

Yes, it's just like the Olympics. I watched all these bitches run, but then Usain Bolt ran, and it's like these chicks were on a completely inferior level.

The crazy part is that watching the fastest women in the world was just as interesting as watching the fastest men because I'm not a caveman, and I don't expect women to be physically equal to men. I can watch spud web dunk a basketball, and say "that's crazy" without saying "Jordan' could dunk better" like a fucking retard.

I don't think it's that simple. I grew up with track and could watch an event filled with only females. I know that most 14/15 year old boys beat the female Olympic track champion [Heck the 12yr old Jamaican 100m champ ran significantly faster than the female 100m world record].

The reason I still watch though is that the technique is there. The tactics, the form, you can still see a true professional beating the best of a huge talent pool.

I would happily watch WMMA but I don't because the basics aren't there to be classified at a professional level. There isn't the footwork, the ring IQ, the strike variety or really any of the skills which make you sit back and say "That's elite".

My drunken post was just saying that todays WMMA is not on par with todays mens MMA. I do not find WMMA just as interesting as mens MMA (MMMA?). And I don't like that I have to watch these poor fights in between the fights that I want to see. That's all. It's the same reason I like the NBA, but I don't like the WNBA. It's an opinion about the UFC, and I'm pretty sure that's why we're on this site, right?

I don't think it's that simple. I grew up with track and could watch an event filled with only females. I know that most 14/15 year old boys beat the female Olympic track champion [Heck the 12yr old Jamaican 100m champ ran significantly faster than the female 100m world record].

The reason I still watch though is that the technique is there. The tactics, the form, you can still see a true professional beating the best of a huge talent pool.

I would happily watch WMMA but I don't because the basics aren't there to be classified at a professional level. There isn't the footwork, the ring IQ, the strike variety or really any of the skills which make you sit back and say "That's elite".
No, he ran an 11.7, which is what I won district with in 8th grade lol

That's fucking amazing for a 12 year old, but it wouldn't even touch the woman's national high school record of 11.1

And it is not even in the same universe as florence griffith joyner's 10.49 second world record. To put this into perspective, Flo Jo was faster than Reggie Bush. While she's not Usain Bolt, the gap isn't as big as you people seem to think.

you didn't grow up with track, and your lack of knowledge is proof.

I was a collegiate sprinter, and I'm half athletic and explosive, which allows me to say GTFO kid!

No I don't see where you're going with this. Perhaps you were trying to come back to MMA in some fancy way, but I don't see how, sorry.

Hows it any different to LHW? The best wrestler in the division Cormier was ineffective against Jones.

The guys at LHW are largely nothing compared to Jones. Everytime a LHW wins a fight they make it seem like they actually have a chance at the belt but Jones steamrolls them. The current LHW Champ got his Titleshot off a loss, the current #1 contender got his shot off a loss.

Amanda Nunes is no Jon Jones...

Cormier's tossed around everyone BUT Jon Jones.

Jones/Cormier was competitive in the early rounds and went the distance.

first three rounds of cormier jones was total war

My drunken post was just saying that todays WMMA is not on par with todays mens MMA. I do not find WMMA just as interesting as mens MMA (MMMA?). And I don't like that I have to watch these poor fights in between the fights that I want to see. That's all. It's the same reason I like the NBA, but I don't like the WNBA. It's an opinion about the UFC, and I'm pretty sure that's why we're on this site, right?

After Rosholt vs Tim Johnson coming right after Nunes/McMann I thought we might be spared this particular thread this time around, but I guess I was wrong.

Back