How are Wanderlei and Rampage overrated and Chuck is not???

I agree that Wand and Chuck are overrated but not Rampage, I feel Rampage had more ability than Wand and Chuck to beat different styles, he also had better wrestling and far more technical striking so in his prime he would fair better than the others against the elite fighters of today.

Any fighter is overrated according to someone. You're sadly mistaken if you think no one called out Chuck as being overrated.

that may be the case, been yearssss since I've seen the fight, I just thought I remembered a bogus stand up. If there wasn't, I can admit i'm wrong lol

There was a lot of talk about the stand up in the first fight, but I think the outcome would have been the same.

that may be the case, been yearssss since I've seen the fight, I just thought I remembered a bogus stand up. If there wasn't, I can admit i'm wrong lol

Not to take anything from Wanderlei but yes, that standup was horrible. Rampage was winning the fight up to that point too.

None of them are/were overrated, they were all great fighters in their day.

People hating in these legends seem to ignore old accomplishments and the fact that people get old especially after going through wars. All of those guys you listed are legends. You also have the newer mma fans wondering why they don't fight like they used to, comparing then to now.

Folk treat these guys like they're cyborgs and super human. Forgetting tgat they've taken serious punishment through out their careers.

I agree. Great post!

Neither of the 3 are overrated. MMA fans are just dumb.

Where did people say they were overrated?

he also had better wrestling and far more technical striking

Even though Page KO'd Chuck twice, I don't think he had better technical striking.

By that logic then Weidman has better striking then AS.

it's just weird posting a wall of text (literally a wall of text) complaining about some viewpoints that bother you. take up those viewpoints in threads where you see them--it doesn't deserve a thread of its own.

I would pick Shogun to easily beat Rampage at this point.

His last three wins are Brandon Vera, James Te Huna, Forrest Griffin. That's not several times better than what Rampage beat, better true, but not world beaters.
Every time they try to get him back in the game with a big fight, he loses it. "Easily" I think is a biiiiig stretch but Id love to see that fight now.

Even though Page KO'd Chuck twice, I don't think he had better technical striking.

These things are so hard to compare because it's different aspect, i'd be willing to argue that Rampage had better boxing, offensively and defensively, than Chuck, but chuck was probably the better overall striker, if not on variety alone.

He did not. First fight Hackleman threw in the towel, cause it seemed like Chuck was getting hurt bad by Quinton's GnP.

Yeah but Mirko and Hunt were mma newbies when Wanderlei fought them. When Wanderlei fought Mirko the second time after CC had some experience it didn't turn out well.

Plus JDS is better and more dangerous than Mirko or Hunt ever were.

JDS more dangerous than a prime Mirko? :rolleyes:

Rampage was a brawler in Pride. Oyama trained him in MT & BJJ and before that he was with Tito, Ricco and Mayhem at Punishment. He didn't have a good striking camp before he teamed up with Ibarra.

That slugging, with his chin and wrestling, worked against Chuck. In their rematch, he was a technical counter boxer. He also KO'd Wanderlei with that style, but was at a disadvantage earlier in his career against MT strikers. If you remember, Bustamante and Arona were doing well against him on the feet, he used his wrestling more back then. Beat Igor on the ground.

Shogun finishes him again

I think so too. I really liked how Shogun fought in his last two fights. Looked way more calculated and clean with the striking. Even in Hendo fight up until the finish. But such is the striking game you stand and bang, especially with Henderson- chances are you're going down. Many learned that the hard way

Back