How are Wanderlei and Rampage overrated and Chuck is not???

How are Wanderlei and Rampage overrated and Chuck is not???

i love the idea of taking some random post from sherdog (so and so is overrated), assuming it is widely accepted, and then refuting it in a brand new thread.

what a waste of precious time.

Wand lost to Tito and Vitor who Chuck merked.

Rampage and Wand are good, but still overrated, theyre not on the same level as guys like Hughes or Nog, and definitely not with GSP,Fedor, Anderson

Check out this dudes sig. Obvious Dick Rider.

Everyone is over rated unless they dominate in the USA. Just like if a baseball player goes to Japan and hits 60 HR's. He has to do it in MLB. Not my way of thinking. The is how the uninformed public thinks.

Yeah but Mirko and Hunt were mma newbies when Wanderlei fought them. When Wanderlei fought Mirko the second time after CC had some experience it didn't turn out well.

Plus JDS is better and more dangerous than Mirko or Hunt ever were.

Still, Wanderlei never shied from those fights. I'm currently not a big fan of him (IMO, he is tainting his reputation lately), but he was the man back then.

Roids and whatever else the Japanese didn't test for. Sure, there's a chance Rampage was using then too because why in the hell wouldn't you use in Pride? That said, Rampage didn't exhibit any clear contrasts in size or physique upon his transition from the US to Japan. If anything he looked larger and more chiseled in the UFC. Wanderlei on the other hand.....

Wanderlei fed on cans and his most significant wins came over a guy who would later starch him in a tested environment. I loved watching him fight back but that's what I call overrated.

I'll take it a step further. Rampage might somehow have the most underrated career amongst MMA fanboys. No one ever brings him up in the overall LHW rankings and he's notably absent on fanboys nostalgic fap lists but let's call a spade a spade. He beat Chuck twice during separate periods at which Chuck was thought to be unstoppable. He wrecked Wanderlei in the UFC, the only fight in which they were definitively tested and he outslugged Hendo in their championship unification bout. As far as I'm concerned he's number 3 on the all-time LHW list behind Shogun and Jones with Jones being the clear cut #1.

I can't remember which fight it was Wand vs. Page one or two, but there was definitely a bogus stand up. I remember Rampage being on top of Wand, and busting him up pretty well...even cut him I believe...and then they just...stood it up and I never really understood why. Of course, Jackson is my favorite fighter ever so maybe that's just a biased mind at work there.

None of these fighters is overrated imo. At some point all of them were the best at LHW and they are all legends.

I just dont get the hate I saw Page and Silva get the other day. This is why I decided to ask, if they are overrated then who isnt? Chuck cause he was the UFC LHW. Well Page beat him...twice...

Wanderlei fought worlds scariest strikers at his respective time - CC, Hunt (who still is scary as fuck, two weight classes and some 80 lbs above what Silva is fighting at right for the most part in the recent years.

Those fighters were not overrated cause if they are to be called that no one that fought in the UFC when they were all at their best meant shit.

Important difference, Wand lost one of those, and got a gift draw in the other. And hunt wasnt the scariest anything, he was a good 1-1 kickboxer. Rampage is Wand's biggest win. Wand is not rampage's biggest win.

Important difference, Wand lost one of those, and got a gift draw in the other. And hunt wasnt the scariest anything, he was a good 1-1 kickboxer. Rampage is Wand's biggest win. Wand is not rampage's biggest win.

a gift draw? if there were judges, wand would have got the nod

edit: and hunt isn't scary anything? Your whole post is garbage. Stop pretending you know what you're talking about

a gift draw? if there were judges, wand would have got the nod

edit: and hunt isn't scary anything? Your whole post is garbage. Stop pretending you know what you're talking about

I doubt it. Not much point in debating how Theoretical mma judges could have botched a decision though.

Also edit: Hunt wasnt even the best K-1 kickboxer Wand had faced.

Anyone calling those 3 overrated are a waste of oxygen. I am surprised that you would even pay attention to those morons.

that's a long winded way of using MMA math to say Wand > Chuck

None are overrated. All three of them did very well whilst the talent pool was shallow and they are legends of the sport. Saying that though, styles make fights. And I've always thought chuck had a style that could beat Wanderlei... He was patient and a good counter striker.

the difference in perception comes from the fact that chuck retired, while quinton and wanderlei are still fighting.

TS, I'm answering your question on how Wanderlei beat Rampage. If you watch the fights closely, Rampages gasses out in both while Wanderlei is fresh the entire time. Wanderlei's cardio was some of the best we've ever seen and if you gassed against him(no matter how great you are)you were a dead man. Being in such great shape is the most important thing in making a fighter truly great and what makes a champion.

Forrest Griffin would have never been champion with average cardio. A gassed Shogun would have killed him and Rampage too.

Rampage has to be considered one of the greatest LHWs of all time. No one has been as competitive against the best in the world for as long as he has.

Yeah but Mirko and Hunt were mma newbies when Wanderlei fought them. When Wanderlei fought Mirko the second time after CC had some experience it didn't turn out well.

And how is that? They fought standing both of the times. I'd say the second time CC simply knew his opponent better. Plus I have seen all of Silva's fights, most I've seen twice or more, for he's my fav fighter. There was a clear difference in the shape of 2002 and 2006 Wanderlei.

Plus JDS is better and more dangerous than Mirko or Hunt ever were.

CC and Hunt were once top 10 scariest strikers in the world, as CC was at the K-1 top (when K-1 was still world's highest striking echelon) for the time being and Hunt went even further and won the WGP. So, yeah, I do not deny JDS's gifts. Even more, I do recognize he's a natural and would have probably made an impact in K-1 if it was still around and if he fought in it. But even now, when he's at his prime, he still needed 3 rds to finish 40 years old Hunt and Mark held a pretty competitive exchanges against him countering with his left over the top and whatnot.

JDS vs Hunt, prime vs prime...anything can happen. Its striking.

Everybody looks rudimentary in retrospect compared to Jones.

I think Jones is overrated honestly. He is in the weakest division. Its full of small old has-beens. If 205 had decent young people he wouldn't seem so great. 205 has 2ppl who are good period. Jones & Gus. They might as well fight each other for their next 5 fights until UFC looks to sign new talent. However Nike wont like that

You're really overlooking what Wanderlei was doing at his time. Everybody says he did not face much adversity as regrds competition at his day and I do not get that at all. He fought scariest strikers at HW, Rampage (x2), Hendo (x2)

When I see JJ fight scariest HW striker at his respectful time (JDS as of now) and make it to a draw, then fight the second scariest fighter at HW and then fight the first one again, probably I'd say, yea, well this guy is the new real deal.

Until then, while he fights in a division not so long ago ruled by the ex Pride super stars, who had they primes like 10 year ago, meh, I'm not impressed.

The only real competition he has faced was Gus. I never fell for the Glover hype. I mean he's very good but way slower to beat JJ. Read my post history I said it before their fight.

Lets see what he does against Gus (x2), DC, AJ before we crown him as the new LHW GOAT

When he 1st fought Hunt, Hunt was just getting into mma, transferring from K-1, it's the equivalent of GSP going to a draw with James Toney, no offense but Wandy should've finished him, he got destroyed by CC, as much as i respect his reign at Pride, as far as im concnerned his run in the HW's ruined him

i love the idea of taking some random post from sherdog (so and so is overrated), assuming it is widely accepted, and then refuting it in a brand new thread.

what a waste of precious time.

It was not a random post. It was like tens of posts saying Wand and Page were overrated in a thread, where the TS was trying to prove how Hendo was overrated. I wouldnt make a thread because someone randomly said something.

But, hell, if you do not want to lose your time why bother posting in here at all?

Back