How are Wanderlei and Rampage overrated and Chuck is not???

priderulez

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Recently saw a thread on topic who was the most overrated fighter, where Silva and Rampage's name were mentioned a lot. So I decide to clear things up.

It goes something like that. Wanderlei>>>Rampage>>>Liddell

First of all, I am not a blind fanboy, I like to say those three fighters are all in my top 10 favorite MMA fighters, so I will try to make as objective of an analysis as I can.

Wanderlei could beat the better strikers in his prime, because he was a freak striker, even though not the most technical, he was simply effective.

Chuck could beat the better grapplers because of his better TDD (something Wanderlei was lacking as obvious in Tito's and Arona (x2) fights. And it was only natural I believe. Chuck ruled a division where his biggest adversaries were big strong grapplers - Randy and Tito.

I personally believe Rampage was better in both striking and grappling than Chuck. The only thing he probably was not as good in was his TDD, which showed especially in his later fights.

I honestly never to this day know how did Wanderlei manage to dismantle Rampage the way he did twice. I mean many people, mainly UFC fanboys had an opinion that Chuck's style was supposed to beat Wanderlei's on paper, but truth is Rampage's style is what I believe was tailor made to beat Silva's. He was bigger, stronger, better wrestling, better technical boxing, especially on the inside where it was clear the exchanges would take place...no clue. I think Silva won purely on heart and will. Its like he broke Page and stole his soul in the ring and Shogun kicked him straight outta Pride and into the UFC so he could again show what was the better org at the time as he became the best in the UFC at LHW after being severely beaten by the best of Pride.

Prime Wandereli >>>prime Chuck because the former could take anything Rampage could offer in regards to both striking and grappling, and the latter simply could not. The only thing Chuck was better at in his prime - his TDD - would not have played much of a factor in his fight against Wanderlei if it was to happen in their primes, in 2003 when they were supposed to meet. No way in hell prime Wanderlei could have ever lost to Liddell, cause Chuck really had nothing more for Wanderlei than he had for Rampage. Rampage even had the better wrestling as he took him down in 2003 and Liddell could get up.

UFC advocates, deal with it.

They're not over rated. They're just past their prime..!

Wand lost to Tito and Vitor who Chuck merked.

Rampage and Wand are good, but still overrated, theyre not on the same level as guys like Hughes or Nog, and definitely not with GSP,Fedor, Anderson

Everybody looks rudimentary in retrospect compared to Jones.

They're not over rated. They're just past their prime..!

None of these fighters is overrated imo. At some point all of them were the best at LHW and they are all legends.

I just dont get the hate I saw Page and Silva get the other day. This is why I decided to ask, if they are overrated then who isnt? Chuck cause he was the UFC LHW. Well Page beat him...twice...

Wanderlei fought worlds scariest strikers at his respective time - CC, Hunt (who still is scary as fuck, two weight classes and some 80 lbs above what Silva is fighting at right for the most part in the recent years.

Those fighters were not overrated cause if they are to be called that no one that fought in the UFC when they were all at their best meant shit.

I think rule sets have a lot to do with it too as well as the crowd. In their primes I would favor Wand over Chuck in Pride for sure and Chuck over Wand in the UFC.

Everybody looks rudimentary in retrospect compared to Jones.

You're really overlooking what Wanderlei was doing at his time. Everybody says he did not face much adversity as regrds competition at his day and I do not get that at all. He fought scariest strikers at HW, Rampage (x2), Hendo (x2)

When I see JJ fight scariest HW striker at his respectful time (JDS as of now) and make it to a draw, then fight the second scariest fighter at HW and then fight the first one again, probably I'd say, yea, well this guy is the new real deal.

Until then, while he fights in a division not so long ago ruled by the ex Pride super stars, who had they primes like 10 year ago, meh, I'm not impressed.

The only real competition he has faced was Gus. I never fell for the Glover hype. I mean he's very good but way slower to beat JJ. Read my post history I said it before their fight.

Lets see what he does against Gus (x2), DC, AJ before we crown him as the new LHW GOAT

Wand lost to Tito and Vitor who Chuck merked.

Rampage and Wand are good, but still overrated, theyre not on the same level as guys like Hughes or Nog, and definitely not with GSP,Fedor, Anderson

Just watch the Chuck Vitor fight pls. Cause I'm not impressed

About Tito, I already wrote in the OP that Chuck did better against the grapplers, whereas Silva did better against the strikers. I dunno whats to argue. Its obvious.

Wandelrei is among the greatest at LHW, had the long run, had the heart, had the style, had the numbers, fought the scariest guys not only at his weight class, but in the weight class above. He's up there. Dunno whats overrated about that?

You're really overlooking what Wanderlei was doing at his time. Everybody says he did not face much adversity as regrds competition at his day and I do not get that at all. He fought scariest strikers at HW, Rampage (x2), Hendo (x2)

When I see JJ fight scariest HW striker at his respectful time (JDS as of now) and make it to a draw, then fight the second scariest fighter at HW and then fight the first one again, probably I'd say, yea, well this guy is the new real deal.

Until then, while he fights in a division not so long ago ruled by the ex Pride super stars, who had they primes like 10 year ago, meh, I'm not impressed.

The only real competition he has faced was Gus. I never fell for the Glover hype. I mean he's very good but way slower to beat JJ. Read my post history I said it before their fight.

Lets see what he does against Gus (x2), DC, AJ before we crown him as the new LHW GOAT

Yeah but Mirko and Hunt were mma newbies when Wanderlei fought them. When Wanderlei fought Mirko the second time after CC had some experience it didn't turn out well.

Plus JDS is better and more dangerous than Mirko or Hunt ever were.

Just watch the Chuck Vitor fight pls. Cause I'm not impressed

About Tito, I already wrote in the OP that Chuck did better against the grapplers, whereas Silva did better against the strikers. I dunno whats to argue. Its obvious.

Wandelrei is among the greatest at LHW, had the long run, had the heart, had the style, had the numbers, fought the scariest guys not only at his weight class, but in the weight class above. He's up there. Dunno whats overrated about that?

Im with you brotha man!

None of these fighters is overrated imo. At some point all of them were the best at LHW and they are all legends.

I just dont get the hate I saw Page and Silva get the other day. This is why I decided to ask, if they are overrated then who isnt? Chuck cause he was the UFC LHW. Well Page beat him...twice...

Wanderlei fought worlds scariest strikers at his respective time - CC, Hunt (who still is scary as fuck, two weight classes and some 80 lbs above what Silva is fighting at right for the most part in the recent years.

Those fighters were not overrated cause if they are to be called that no one that fought in the UFC when they were all at their best meant shit.

People hating in these legends seem to ignore old accomplishments and the fact that people get old especially after going through wars. All of those guys you listed are legends. You also have the newer mma fans wondering why they don't fight like they used to, comparing then to now.

Folk treat these guys like they're cyborgs and super human. Forgetting tgat they've taken serious punishment through out their careers.

I wouldn't put page in the same category as Wand. All 3 are overrated in the order (most to least) WAND-CHUCK-PAGE

This is strictly in terms of fighting credentials, in terms of "what they did for sport" PAGE is overrated, WAND and CHUCK are both legends and rightfully so

Great post!

Recently saw a thread on topic who was the most overrated fighter, where Silva and Rampage's name were mentioned a lot. So I decide to clear things up.

It goes something like that. Wanderlei>>>Rampage>>>Liddell

First of all, I am not a blind fanboy, I like to say those three fighters are all in my top 10 favorite MMA fighters, so I will try to make as objective of an analysis as I can.

Wanderlei could beat the better strikers in his prime, because he was a freak striker, even though not the most technical, he was simply effective.

Chuck could beat the better grapplers because of his better TDD (something Wanderlei was lacking as obvious in Tito's and Arona (x2) fights. And it was only natural I believe. Chuck ruled a division where his biggest adversaries were big strong grapplers - Randy and Tito.

I personally believe Rampage was better in both striking and grappling than Chuck. The only thing he probably was not as good in was his TDD, which showed especially in his later fights.

I honestly never to this day know how did Wanderlei manage to dismantle Rampage the way he did twice. I mean many people, mainly UFC fanboys had an opinion that Chuck's style was supposed to beat Wanderlei's on paper, but truth is Rampage's style is what I believe was tailor made to beat Silva's. He was bigger, stronger, better wrestling, better technical boxing, especially on the inside where it was clear the exchanges would take place...no clue. I think Silva won purely on heart and will. Its like he broke Page and stole his soul in the ring and Shogun kicked him straight outta Pride and into the UFC so he could again show what was the better org at the time as he became the best in the UFC at LHW after being severely beaten by the best of Pride.

Prime Wandereli >>>prime Chuck because the former could take anything Rampage could offer in regards to both striking and grappling, and the latter simply could not. The only thing Chuck was better at in his prime - his TDD - would not have played much of a factor in his fight against Wanderlei if it was to happen in their primes, in 2003 when they were supposed to meet. No way in hell prime Wanderlei could have ever lost to Liddell, cause Chuck really had nothing more for Wanderlei than he had for Rampage. Rampage even had the better wrestling as he took him down in 2003 and Liddell could get up.

UFC advocates, deal with it.

Roids and whatever else the Japanese didn't test for. Sure, there's a chance Rampage was using then too because why in the hell wouldn't you use in Pride? That said, Rampage didn't exhibit any clear contrasts in size or physique upon his transition from the US to Japan. If anything he looked larger and more chiseled in the UFC. Wanderlei on the other hand.....

Wanderlei fed on cans and his most significant wins came over a guy who would later starch him in a tested environment. I loved watching him fight back but that's what I call overrated.

I'll take it a step further. Rampage might somehow have the most underrated career amongst MMA fanboys. No one ever brings him up in the overall LHW rankings and he's notably absent on fanboys nostalgic fap lists but let's call a spade a spade. He beat Chuck twice during separate periods at which Chuck was thought to be unstoppable. He wrecked Wanderlei in the UFC, the only fight in which they were definitively tested and he outslugged Hendo in their championship unification bout. As far as I'm concerned he's number 3 on the all-time LHW list behind Shogun and Jones with Jones being the clear cut #1.

I wouldn't put page in the same category as Wand. All 3 are overrated in the order (most to least) WAND-CHUCK-PAGE

This is strictly in terms of fighting credentials, in terms of "what they did for sport" PAGE is overrated, WAND and CHUCK are both legends and rightfully so

A) None of them are over rated, at all. I don't know what credentials you're referring too, but I'd say Title reigns, Title shots, and Epic fights and finishes, mpletely prove you wrong.

B) What they did for the sport? You aren't writing the story of PRIDE or the story of the UFC without either of those three.

So I'd say you are wrong.

What idiots are saying these guys are overrated??

All 3 are legends and got many of us into this sport. Just because at 35 years of age they don't match up well with a 26 year old lion like jon jones doesn't mean anything. I could KTFO Muhammad Ali right now, does that mean he's overrated? Give me a break

Back