Opinion how are unions not a right wing thing?

When someone complains about Unions ruining Hostess, ask them about the last time they bought a box of Twinkies

Yeah. Worst still is when I see a highly successful corporation that doesn't even try to innovate for decades.

Hostess could have been the company behind all these cupcake and muffin fads we have seen.

Should be noted that teachers unions' have played a huge part in the pathetic state of public education in the United States.
Don’t speak truths on here. Teachers are NeVER to blame

Even shitty ones who don’t know how to teach students

I’ve always wondered the same thing. Everyone I know that has a union job, doesn’t agree with hardly any democratic policy. I think a lot of them vote republican, they just don’t talk about it.

hi there Mr. HomeCheese,

i find it funny and peculiar (but not offensive) that folks kvetch about stuff like this. if you are so envious of government benefits...

...then go work for the government. its not hard at all to get started.

are you a lib?

you sound like some lib who hates the wealthy.

great to meet you!

- IGIT

I'm more of a balanced budget, fairness sort of guy. I have no problem if everyone received a defined benefit plan but unfortunately that's not the case any more. The main receivers of these lucrative lifetime benefits are government workers. Many states and municipalities have huge unfunded liabilities with these lifetime pension and healthcare commitments. It's really not fair to saddle our children with debt paying benefits to a protected class of workers.

Anywho, nice to meet you. I'm guessing you are a government employee (paper pusher in the planning department?) and my post hit a little too close to home.

Part of the reason for this is that the “powerful” are generally white males
cryinglebron.gif

hi HomeCheese,

The main receivers of these lucrative lifetime benefits are government workers.

the main receiver of lucrative lifetime benefits are the baby boomers who are marching into the Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid train.

like i said, 17% of the US workforce earns their daily bread working for the Government (Federal & state). they average around 50k per year, so they're just middle class folks. if you like their benefits so much, you should consider joining their ranks.

Anywho, nice to meet you. I'm guessing you are a government employee (paper pusher in the planning department?) and my post hit a little too close to home.

i've worked for myself for a while now, but in my youth i worked at Gateway National Park. they hire mechanics, biologists, lawyers, architects - all sorts of folks.

- IGIT

(Federal & state). they average around 50k per year, so they're just middle class folks. if you like their benefits so much, you should consider joining their ranks.
What fucking jobs are they doing to make an average of 50k a year? I work in public service (admittedly county) but make under 40k a year.

Special Operations OFFICERS don't even make more than $45k a year.

hi HomeCheese,

the main receiver of lucrative lifetime benefits are the baby boomers who are marching into the Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid train.

like i said, 17% of the US workforce earns their daily bread working for the Government (Federal & state). they average around 50k per year, so they're just middle class folks. if you like their benefits so much, you should consider joining their ranks.

i've worked for myself for a while now, but in my youth i worked at Gateway National Park. they hire mechanics, biologists, lawyers, architects - all sorts of folks.

- IGIT

I don't begrudge anyone from getting a good deal, I just don't want my tax dollars going to pay for it.

Well I'm not surprised you were a federal employee. There are many millions suckling from the government teet. Are you one of those folks that got their years in/pension benefits and retired then went on to a second career?

What fucking jobs are they doing to make an average of 50k a year? I work in public service (admittedly county) but make under 40k a year.

Special Operations OFFICERS don't even make more than $45k a year.

hi there Gregolian,

according to my right leaning friends on this thread, https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/how-the-upper-middle-class-keeps-everyone-else-out.3947059/, there is an energetic rejection to the idea that 117k household income is anything other than plain 'ol ordinary middle class.

so why are you so outraged?

- IGIT

My experience with unions is that they fight for the old timers to keep their benefits. They also fight for the people who can't or won't work.
Wish US unions had a less antagonistic relationship with companies

herro HomeCheese,

I don't begrudge anyone from getting a good deal, I just don't want my tax dollars going to pay for it.

then, for now, i'd give it a rest going after police and firefighters and other civil servants, and just go after senior citizens. you're getting fleeced paying for their golden years.

Well I'm not surprised you were a federal employee. There are many millions suckling from the government teet. Are you one of those folks that got their years in/pension benefits and retired then went on to a second career?

no, i'm not.

i worked a summer at Gateway National Park. lol. are you anti-national-park, too?

I don't begrudge anyone from going to a National Park, I just don't want my tax dollars going to pay for it.

- IGIT

I haven't even opened that thread so could I get a summary?

117k sounds far past even UPPER middle class for what I do.

hi Gregolian,

you should check it out, then. much hilarity will ensue.

IGIT wouldn't steer ya wrong.

- IGIT

hi Gregolian,

you should check it out, then. much hilarity will ensue.

IGIT wouldn't steer ya wrong.

- IGIT
I'll also freely admit economics isn't my strong suit.

Trying to read the thread I can feel my eyes beginning to cross.

My experience with unions is that they fight for the old timers to keep their benefits. They also fight for the people who can't or won't work.

hi ElKarlo,

you're just referring to blue collar unions from America's manufacturing heartland, right?

not the NFL Players Union?

not SAG-AFTRA, which basically represents all the talent in Hollywood?

not the American Medical Association?

i assume you're referring to unions whose membership is comprised overwhelmingly of middle class folks. those are the bad ones, right?

- IGIT

Hostess could have been the company behind all these cupcake and muffin fads we have seen.

ahoy VivaRevolution!

as an avowed consumer of kind bud, this has to be said;

lay off Hostess products.

- IGIT

the better ? is now that the Religious Right has lost much of it's GOP power, why isn't abortion a right wing policy?

think about it, the less poor people having kids, the less moochers on the SW safety net......they should be hardcore Pro Choice IMO

they're an embodiment of a group that is fighting for families to have the means to provide.
They stand up for ''real'' america, the people who work blue collar jobs at factories.
Busting unions has led to decrease in benefits, job stability and wage losses. All these factors hinder the chances people have at taking care of a family, the cornerstone of most of the rights values.
I think if many candidates came out as pro union they could even sway a lot of voters. . .

has it always been this way? When did the right start union busting? Was it with R.R?
I don't know but I think it has to do with supporting businesses, instead of workers, in a trickle down economics sort of way. I'm in no fashion an economist but it seems if business is big and the stock market swells it's more important than living wages or some type of equitable distribution. I mean really, if you're going to complain you want a living wage they can just hire people from India or somewhere that can live on a tenth your wages.

I haven't even opened that thread so could I get a summary?

117k sounds far past even UPPER middle class for what I do.

hi hi Gregolian,

the thread relates to an economist who stated that the upper middle class game the system by creating legislative roadblocks for lower 80%, keeping them from advancing.

the author cited 117k (household) income as "upper middle class".

without getting into the details of the study (its only a 7 minute video, and its from PBS, not some fever swamp propaganda website. its worth a look), most right leaning folk objected to the idea that 117k per year, household, was upper middle class.

i thought that was a little ironic, given your own response to civil servants averaging 50k salaries per year.

- IGIT

Back