How are new members so knowledgeable about UFC and MMA history?

This may be difficult to accept but this forum is not a requisite to being a mma fan.

Some of us might have had accounts on sherdog but got banned for posting pics of Hermès Franca at the weigh ins where he stuffed his shorts many many years ago

Not me though, but that could have happened to some of the posters here. That’s why our joins dates don’t reflect how long we been here

I used Sherdog for fighter info but didn't use the forums or "lurk" when I was first on this site 18 years ago. I visited this site first when I was in middleschool. I'm in my early 30's now.

Why do people think everyone signs up to Sherdog the moment they become a fan?

Because you didn't know who Jim Miller was.

Because you thought if the fight was at 125lbs, and you weighed in at 123, you missed weight.

It's classic Dunning-Kruger. You are new, and have no idea how little you know. Yet you insist you are an MMA genius. You're not. You're fucking clueless.

Just like the rest of the Conortards. Remember when he was going to wreck shit at welterweight? Lol you dummies. He's .500 at his actual weight.

They'll still never understand "Rickson by armbar"

Or UberTS

Or "I Got Married"

Or positivebalance melting down over BJ Penn

Or Foster getting mutinized

Or Kulus calling posters at 3am after confessing his love for a poisonous female

Or A Bit of the Old Ultraviolence drinking pee

Or Josh getting owned by the first letter of each paragraph of the DM's he revealed

Or Faulty and jelly donuts

Or when Petey met Anderson at an airport

Or when bare asses were all the rage during Gryphmas

Last edited:
Idk I just learned a lot from context and whatnot. I really don't know too much before the last 5 years anyway

I remember the good old days when this forum was so hostile and elitist that you needed to spend at least two years lurking and learning your shit before even making your first post. Hopefully the tradition continues.

I mean it, too. You don't want this place becoming Reddit where every noob can flat out lie about something they've never seen and be upvoted to the top by other noobs who have never seen it. That cesspit rewrites history on a daily basis. A little elitism goes a long way.

I suspect there are a decent amount of returners like myself who just made new accounts instead of returning to old ones.
reddit.com/r/mma think they are elitist as well. They all just repeat shit narratives. This place has characters.

When some 2018 year account posts about Carlos Newton, Heath Herring, Marco Ruas or Oleg Taktarov

giphy.gif
I'm 2018 and remember all those guys. Newton getting slammed, Taktarov was incredible the first time I saw him. I forgot that cops name (Steve Jennum?), I think he subbed in and started wrecking everybody. Just because I wasn't on here for years doesn't mean I started watching with Ngannou.

I'm new but I have been watching since bisping was in tuf I used to watch every now and then untill about 4 years ago haven't missed an event since. Not too clued up on other stuff just UFC but because I only joined last year doesn't mean that's when I started watching.

They’re not. They just go on Wikipedia and act like they know what they’re talking about. There are plenty of noobs on here who try to disguise it. But they always show their true colors at some point.

Not everyone that's into MMA is just inherently on sherdog lol

So many 2018 join date members seem to know everything about the UFC and MMA in general. Are there a lot of members who have been longtime fans but just decided to register only recently?

After TUF 1 there was an influx of new members who seemed like casuals so we had the "Shut up TUF newb!" meme.

Now everyone including new members know who all the fighters are, including guys in non-UFC organizations.

The only time I get "casual" vibes is when people still argue about which the merits of grappling vs. striking, a debate that was settled a long time ago.

I'm more of a current casual but former hardcore fan. I am not as familiar with modern day MMA as I am with the Royce era, the dark era (Frank Shamrock's reign), and the Zuffa era.

My favorite of all time is either Saku or Frank Shamrock. After that prime Shogun, Vitor, Hendo, 2008 - 2011 Chael, 2008-2012 Alistair Overeem, and GSP before joining Greg Jackson.

I became a fan through renting VHS tapes of the old UFCs and watching Pride FC on free tv in Korea during the GP days. Any new fans around who at first got into the sport recently, and then watched all the fights from the old school NHB days up until now?
Haha are you suggesting that a person can't know MMA before joining sherdog? It is this ignorance that has your kind shitting on white belts, it's pathetic

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll never forget someone posted the Anderson Silva money playboy gif and some noob commented: “Why do they always use this Anderson Silva gif like he makes big money? Should just use Conor gif.” That was when I knew it was a noob.

I been following this sport for awhile and I don’t know shit.

I was watching UFC before i even heard of sherdog. I have always been a hardcore boxing fan, 2 boxing forums i frequent both have mma sections that i would post in. I would occasionally see sherdog forum posts appear in google searches when googling stuff about ufc long before i actually joined up, i had no idea is was even a popular site for mma. With the name "sherdog" i honestly thought it was was some kind of gaming forum with a misc section where some people talked about UFC or some shit, especially with the logo thats similar to the game company "naugthydog" I thought bunch of spotty teenage world of warcraft players talking about UFC fucking just lol, I think i signed up after stumbling across a good thread one day some sort of breaking news was taking place and a thread on here seemed to have all the latest breaking news i couldn't find anywhere else, that's when i realized it was pretty big for mma on here.

d20170306_01_ND_Default_Blog_Post_01.jpg

There's no one but me with the huge knowledge as me who's signed up in last 12 months.

Back