How are new members so knowledgeable about UFC and MMA history?

When some 2018 year account posts about Carlos Newton, Heath Herring, Marco Ruas or Oleg Taktarov

giphy.gif

I lurked on here awhile before I bothered to sign up... there could be people who showed even more restraint and have only just decided to make an account...

But more likely the answer would be that every fight is available on the internet through streaming. In the dark days like you said... you had to rent a VHS.

I remember spending hundreds on completing my UFC DVD collection. I think I stopped at 124. Dead technology and I have no need to use a DVD anymore. What a waste of money.

Longtime casual fan, but even longer time boxing fan (hardcore).

Joined the forum because I thought I might garner more interest in MMA.

However, I find that UFC is a bigger joke than boxing and is definitely becoming more like WWE with real fights being the only difference.

Thank you for admitting your autism. The hardest step is admittance

I remember the good old days when this forum was so hostile and elitist that you needed to spend at least two years lurking and learning your shit before even making your first post. Hopefully the tradition continues.

I mean it, too. You don't want this place becoming Reddit where every noob can flat out lie about something they've never seen and be upvoted to the top by other noobs who have never seen it. That cesspit rewrites history on a daily basis. A little elitism goes a long way.

I suspect there are a decent amount of returners like myself who just made new accounts instead of returning to old ones.

I lurked on here awhile before I bothered to sign up... there could be people who showed even more restraint and have only just decided to make an account...

But more likely the answer would be that every fight is available on the internet through streaming. In the dark days like you said... you had to rent a VHS.

I remember spending hundreds on completing my UFC DVD collection. I think I stopped at 124. Dead technology and I have no need to use a DVD anymore. What a waste of money.
Don't feel bad. I bought a PS3 for 600 bucks and ended up only buying ONE video game on it (Metal Gear Solid 4)....then collected like 50 movies on bluray for it....now they are collecting dust somewhere since I moved and didn't bring them w/ me.

So many 2018 join date members seem to know everything about the UFC and MMA in general. Are there a lot of members who have been longtime fans but just decided to register only recently?

After TUF 1 there was an influx of new members who seemed like casuals so we had the "Shut up TUF newb!" meme.

Now everyone including new members know who all the fighters are, including guys in non-UFC organizations.

The only time I get "casual" vibes is when people still argue about which the merits of grappling vs. striking, a debate that was settled a long time ago.

I'm more of a current casual but former hardcore fan. I am not as familiar with modern day MMA as I am with the Royce era, the dark era (Frank Shamrock's reign), and the Zuffa era.

My favorite of all time is either Saku or Frank Shamrock. After that prime Shogun, Vitor, Hendo, 2008 - 2011 Chael, 2008-2012 Alistair Overeem, and GSP before joining Greg Jackson.

I became a fan through renting VHS tapes of the old UFCs and watching Pride FC on free tv in Korea during the GP days. Any new fans around who at first got into the sport recently, and then watched all the fights from the old school NHB days up until now?
Fight pass bro

I remember the good old days when this forum was so hostile and elitist that you needed to spend at least two years lurking and learning your shit before even making your first post. Hopefully the tradition continues.

Why? That sounds like a complete wank.

Your Sherdog join date isn't an indicator of your knowledge level, or opinions, or time watching the sport, and nor should it be.

I joined 2018 I think.
I been watching on and off for years since tuf 1. Really got 100% into it in 2016 or so and binged watched everything I could. Started training Muay Thai then too.
So I still feel like a newbie especially having not trained mma or competed in MT.

My 2nd account, just left for awhile and forgot my login...

Started UFC when I saw Mighty Mouse/Dobson and Henderson/Diaz on FOX (FUEL?).

I watched all the replays on those channels and eventually signed up for Fight Pass.

I am somewhat disgusted by the UFC as an organization these days, but also want MMA and WMMA especially to grow.

I mean it, too. You don't want this place becoming Reddit where every noob can flat out lie about something they've never seen and be upvoted to the top by other noobs who have never seen it. That cesspit rewrites history on a daily basis. A little elitism goes a long way.

I suspect there are a decent amount of returners like myself who just made new accounts instead of returning to old ones.

I remember those days...the hostile days. Around that time Joe Rogan wrote that saying you found a stupid sherdog post is like saying water is wet. Then a thread here was made "Joe Rogan calls us stupid!" but every post was like: "Joe is so correct! Too many idiots here!" It was the polar opposite of what a Joe Rogan thread today would look like here.

Why? That sounds like a complete wank.
Your Sherdog join date isn't an indicator of your knowledge level, or opinions, or time watching the sport, and nor should it be.

I'm actually a posterboy example of this. I find myself to be late to the party in regards to discovering new things in MMA. I can offer some nostalgic memories from the old days but that's about where it ends. Expert on UFC discussion I am not.

I'm a new member of another forum and I get dogpiled and insulted if I go against popular opinion because I'm new there. Turned me off from that place.

Last edited:
They'll still never understand "Rickson by armbar"

Outside Sherdog there is a..... "Martial Art World",........ me thinks!:rolleyes:;)

talking.gif~c200

Last edited:
I was reading these forums for a few years before I decided to make an account and I was a fan of mma before that. I think one thing that helps is there is more media and actually good YouTubers like mma mma onpoint.

My accounts not 2018 but still my initial account was banned, maybe there's was too, or like anything else maybe they went back and watched old events, it's no different to studying any other topic.

I had been lurking here since 2008, enjoyed the shoops mostly. And created an acc only recently, I was bored, and wanted to thank the shoopers for all laughs through the years. I am no new fan, watched UFC back in Takhtarov's era.

So many 2018 join date members seem to know everything about the UFC and MMA in general. Are there a lot of members who have been longtime fans but just decided to register only recently?

Banned members returning under a new name

Back