How are new members so knowledgeable about UFC and MMA history?

Eusung

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So many 2018 join date members seem to know everything about the UFC and MMA in general. Are there a lot of members who have been longtime fans but just decided to register only recently?

After TUF 1 there was an influx of new members who seemed like casuals so we had the "Shut up TUF newb!" meme.

Now everyone including new members know who all the fighters are, including guys in non-UFC organizations.

The only time I get "casual" vibes is when people still argue about which the merits of grappling vs. striking, a debate that was settled a long time ago.

I'm more of a current casual but former hardcore fan. I am not as familiar with modern day MMA as I am with the Royce era, the dark era (Frank Shamrock's reign), and the Zuffa era.

My favorite of all time is either Saku or Frank Shamrock. After that prime Shogun, Vitor, Hendo, 2008 - 2011 Chael, 2008-2012 Alistair Overeem, and GSP before joining Greg Jackson.

I became a fan through renting VHS tapes of the old UFCs and watching Pride FC on free tv in Korea during the GP days. Any new fans around who at first got into the sport recently, and then watched all the fights from the old school NHB days up until now?

If users have too many posts you automatically know they are all day at work on sherdog.
Those guys are rarely or never in a gym and know shit about fighting.

So many 2018 join date members seem to know everything about the UFC and MMA in general. Are there a lot of members who have been longtime fans but just decided to register only recently?

After TUF 1 there was an influx of new members who seemed like casuals so we had the "Shut up TUF newb!" meme.

Now everyone including new members know who all the fighters are, including guys in non-UFC organizations.

The only time I get "casual" vibes is when people still argue about which the merits of grappling vs. striking, a debate that was settled a long time ago.

I'm more of a current casual but former hardcore fan. I am not as familiar with modern day MMA as I am with the Royce era, the dark era (Frank Shamrock's reign), and the Zuffa era.

My favorite of all time is either Saku or Frank Shamrock. After that prime Shogun, Vitor, Hendo, 2008 - 2011 Chael, 2008-2012 Alistair Overeem, and GSP before joining Greg Jackson.

I became a fan through renting VHS tapes of the old UFCs and watching Pride FC on free tv in Korea during the GP days. Any new fans around who at first got into the sport recently, and then watched all the fights from the old school NHB days up until now?

Longtime casual fan, but even longer time boxing fan (hardcore).

Joined the forum because I thought I might garner more interest in MMA.

However, I find that UFC is a bigger joke than boxing and is definitely becoming more like WWE with real fights being the only difference.

Banned + new account is always an option.

Because knowing the history of MMA does not equal having a longtime Sherdog account?

<Fedor23>

I've been watching since TUF 1 as a preteen, joined here just Because Bloody Elbow doesn't have much to discuss besides the articles.

Longtime casual fan, but even longer time boxing fan (hardcore).

Joined the forum because I thought I might garner more interest in MMA.

However, I find that UFC is a bigger joke than boxing and is definitely becoming more like WWE with real fights being the only difference.
I have this love hate relationship w/ the UFC now. They do have the majority of the top fighters but the way things have transpired recently:

-Reebok
-Interim titles became meaningless
-USADA showing bias
-Good fighters leaving (Mousasi and Rory McDonald) for sponsorships and more freedom
-The number of cards with so many fights makes it tough to keep up with who the rising prospects are
-Dana not "allowing" certain questions at press conferences. Elephant in the room ignored at the conference.
-Seem every time a fighter gains leverage and becomes valuable to the UFC, he uses it to avoid fighting and to get a better deal -and it's getting tiresome.
-If the main event is cancelled, card is in big trouble. Wouldn't be a problem if the cards were not just big main event and not much else

Prior bans.

Haha time for me to brush up on forum rules and policies.

Last edited:
I have this love hate relationship w/ the UFC now. They do have the majority of the top fighters but the way things have transpired recently:

-Reebok
-Interim titles became meaningless
-USADA showing bias
-Good fighters leaving (Mousasi and Rory McDonald) for sponsorships and more freedom
-The number of cards with so many fights makes it tough to keep up with who the rising prospects are
-Dana not "allowing" certain questions at press conferences. Elephant in the room ignored at the conference.
-Seem every time a fighter gains leverage and becomes valuable to the UFC, he uses it to avoid fighting and to get a better deal -and it's getting tiresome.
-If the main event is cancelled, card is in big trouble. Wouldn't be a problem if the cards were not just big main event and not much else
I agree with a lot of your points here. Too many events leaving us with main event fights that aren’t main event worthy

I've been a fan of mma since 2008 when I was 15 but only decided join to Sherdog and participate in sophisticated discussions until 5 months ago

I'm on my 3rd account and I know I'm not the only one

I agree with a lot of your points here. Too many events leaving us with main event fights that aren’t main event worthy
Back in my day, there were way fewer events, and whenever there wasn’t a worthy main event, they’d just give Randy a title shot...

It was worse.

I've been a fan of mma since 2008 when I was 15 but only decided to join Sherdog and participate in sophisticated discussions until 5 months ago

I remember I couldn't register for some weird reason that I got banned but I never visited the site before lol, had to register using a different IP
also many new accounts are way more active and seem to put way more energy in MMA than many of us do

I may have only started watching two weeks ago but I have 11,000 posts on Sherdog so I'm a UFC expert.

Last edited:
They must be redditers or some other fight forums that lived under a rock.

I used to try and time it at blockbuster to rent the latest UFC VHS on the first day.

We must experience different users on this forum

Back