How are new members so knowledgeable about UFC and MMA history?

Long time watcher of mma, boxing and Muay thai, have also competed in all 3 too.

First MMA fight I watched was Lawler Vs Tiki and was hooked as the rest of the Vendetta card was also great.

Only joined as I now work in a school, browse and post during lessons when students are working and when having a shite.

Tbh I didn't even know the sherdog forums even existed till a few months ago.

If users have too many posts you automatically know they are all day at work on sherdog.
Those guys are rarely or never in a gym and know shit about fighting.
because people who have never been to a gym could not possibly have watched thousands of hours of fighting (MMA,Kickboxing,Boxing, and wrestling) in order to have formed coherent and logical opinions?

Is this the same as you cannot have an opinion on Heroin if you have never used Heroin?

Or UberTS

Or "I Got Married"

Or positivebalance melting down over BJ Penn

Or Foster getting mutinized

Or Kulus calling posters at 3am after confessing his love for a poisonous female

Or A Bit of the Old Ultraviolence drinking pee

Or Josh getting owned by the first letter of each paragraph of the DM's he revealed

Or Faulty and jelly donuts

Or when Petey met Anderson at an airport

Or when bare asses were all the rage during Gryphmas
Dont forget our resident groundhog expert @Volund

I'm a relatively new fan, though slightly older than my join date implies, but still. And I am a semi-casual. Anyway, I tend to research stuff a lot, and avoid posting about stuff I don't know enough about.

Watched since UFC 1, but didnt really follow until TUF3. Been a lurker for long time. I can't remember why i finally joined, but I don't really have much to add by the time I see a topic. Pretty much like this one that is 6+ pages long, so I rarely post anything.

I joined Sherdog first and then started watching MMA.

Why do people think everyone signs up to Sherdog the moment they become a fan?

You certainly don't have to be on Sherdog to be a fan, but personally I wanted to discuss things with other MMA fans as soon as I became aware of Sherdog

Old Vitor, new vitor, TRT vitor, or usada vitor? Remember “decision” Dan b4 the development of the H-bomb? We’re getting old.

This is my second account, first got banned by those weird mods we used to have. The first event i watched was UFC 1. The time I joined Sherdog was around when Gomi won the Bushido belt.

So many 2018 join date members seem to know everything about the UFC and MMA in general. Are there a lot of members who have been longtime fans but just decided to register only recently?

After TUF 1 there was an influx of new members who seemed like casuals so we had the "Shut up TUF newb!" meme.

Now everyone including new members know who all the fighters are, including guys in non-UFC organizations.

The only time I get "casual" vibes is when people still argue about which the merits of grappling vs. striking, a debate that was settled a long time ago.

I'm more of a current casual but former hardcore fan. I am not as familiar with modern day MMA as I am with the Royce era, the dark era (Frank Shamrock's reign), and the Zuffa era.

My favorite of all time is either Saku or Frank Shamrock. After that prime Shogun, Vitor, Hendo, 2008 - 2011 Chael, 2008-2012 Alistair Overeem, and GSP before joining Greg Jackson.

I became a fan through renting VHS tapes of the old UFCs and watching Pride FC on free tv in Korea during the GP days. Any new fans around who at first got into the sport recently, and then watched all the fights from the old school NHB days up until now?
you are actually on the internet, there is information on it.

So many 2018 join date members seem to know everything about the UFC and MMA in general. Are there a lot of members who have been longtime fans but just decided to register only recently?

After TUF 1 there was an influx of new members who seemed like casuals so we had the "Shut up TUF newb!" meme.

Now everyone including new members know who all the fighters are, including guys in non-UFC organizations.

The only time I get "casual" vibes is when people still argue about which the merits of grappling vs. striking, a debate that was settled a long time ago.

I'm more of a current casual but former hardcore fan. I am not as familiar with modern day MMA as I am with the Royce era, the dark era (Frank Shamrock's reign), and the Zuffa era.

My favorite of all time is either Saku or Frank Shamrock. After that prime Shogun, Vitor, Hendo, 2008 - 2011 Chael, 2008-2012 Alistair Overeem, and GSP before joining Greg Jackson.

I became a fan through renting VHS tapes of the old UFCs and watching Pride FC on free tv in Korea during the GP days. Any new fans around who at first got into the sport recently, and then watched all the fights from the old school NHB days up until now?
I've been here a fairly long time now but was following MMA for 10 years before I joined and Boxing for over 20.

I hated computers and had know interest in chat groups until 2010 and joined this group because it was the biggest platform for discussing combat sports which I love.

I'm sure there are many others like me out there and your Sherdog join date isn't really a good indicator of your time spent following the sport for the most part.

A lot are just dumb kids that get banned over and over agin. You can tell because they get yellows or dubs in their first couple of months back. Autists who can't argue their point without flaming or fighter bashing. `

Some are lurkers. I remember lurking for a long time before finally joining.

Some are just new but I think it's pretty easy to get up to speed on the sport with wiki and fight pass. It hasn't been around that long.

Are there a lot of members who have been longtime fans but just decided to register only recently?
Yes. It's laughable how some Sherdoggers seem to imagine that your MMA interest must have started the same year as you created an account on Sherdog.

I've been watching since 2004, I think.

I watched most UFC events, but had no interest in talking about it on forums.
Somewhere around 2010 I might have discovered Sherdog, but I had no idea there was a forum - I just read came for stats and news.
Several years before joining I discovered the forums, and read a few threads on occassion - but had little interest in posting anything myself, so never even thought about creating an account.

I was also deterred by posts like "Look at this newb, with a join-date of <current year> - trying to pretend like they know anything about MMA before <current year>"

Last edited:
You research it, before signing up to Sherdog I searched stuff like cheats in MMA, cheats in UFC, interesting MMA facts, and MMA funny trash talk, as well as my fighter of choice at the time Wonderboy's fights on fight pass.

It's not hard to keep up with current MMA.

I rely on this knowledge and knowledge of current UFC more than watching every event from UFC 1 since they employed a cheat in the early UFC's who gouged someone's eye out and still lost.

And the advances in MMA make UFC 1 etc. worthless as an analysis as there won't be a Gracie type guy nowadays with well rounded fighters.

Back