Hopkins robbed from a clearly deserved vitory over Calzaghe

I'll rescore this fight tomorrow. Haven't watched it in full in years.

Hopkins got outslapped big time.

yeah, no. Calzaghe out worked and outlanded Hopkins, get over it. Hell, I think he landed some kind of record on Hopkins (most strikes landed vs Hopkins), and he beat him in the last few rounds, which is supposed to be Hopkins' own territory.

On a side note, like the Prez said, Calzaghe used to have a fair bit of power, but when his hands and wrists started to break down and betray him from all of the injuries, he started "slapping" more, so that he could last though a fight and now have to fight one armed

Calzaghe was always a slapper..you can look at the lowlight video of his i posted & see that he was doing it in his early fights too.

calzaghe2r2004_468x343.jpg

what a craftsman!

yes!!!!!!

Joe won the fight... He was more active and landed more punches.

Calzaghe was always a slapper..you can look at the lowlight video of his i posted & see that he was doing it in his early fights too.

Curious why you think people didn't just walk through his slaps. People slap in training all the time, and even beginners just step through it. Is Hopkins so bad that he couldn't step through slaps? You know, like brushing away mosquitoes? Try it yourself; have someone throw flurries of slaps at you and see for yourself how easy it is to just walk through them even without the padding of gloves. Then ask yourself why Hopkins (or Kessler or Lacy or even well past his prime Jones) couldn't do the same.

Seriously, there's no way Calzaghe was one of the all time great boxers, and he certainly wasn't one of the harder hitters, but he was far better than average, and neither was he just throwing slaps. You're insulting everyone he ever fought by suggesting otherwise.

Roy after fighting Cal-Slappy. I guess slaps work.

images

Seriously, there's no way Calzaghe was one of the all time great boxers, and he certainly wasn't one of the harder hitters, but he was far better than average, and neither was he just throwing slaps. You're insulting everyone he ever fought by suggesting otherwise.

I never said he just threw slaps. of course he didn't strictly throw slaps when he fought.

However he did throw alot of them. He threw way more than most fighters & they were a staple of his style. & of course he was a good fighter.

He's arguably the top 168 pound fighter in the history of the division.

R.o.y. J.o.n.e.s. Jr

RJJ's SMW run is overrated. Yes, he was amazing to watch, but he didn't do that much. HE beat Toney (and ATG win), then beat the respectable Pazienza and Malinga. THat's not a resume that I would say is better than Calzaghe's at SMW

Roy was best at LHW before going up to heavy IMHO.

Eubank also mentioned how hard Calzaghe hit him when they fought, which gives you an idea of how "feather fisted" Joe was

Back